News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad - a visual compendium

Started by invent, 06:39, 16 June 16

Previous topic - Next topic

invent

Hi everyone,

Not sure I have noticed a discussion on Sam Dyer's Bitmap Book Creations via Kickstarter. I hope for our Amstrad community will one day have a book to cover our platform. Currently he is raising money for the Nintendo/Famicom Compendium book and is doing rather well.

I was curious what the Amstrad Cover might look like, so here is a quick design. 
More importantly, what would you like in such a book?

Enjoying/Creating Retro Games

arnoldemu

I would like to see some mode 2 pictures too - there will not be as many but I think it would be good to see some.

I would like to see lots of pictures from games, perhaps some sprite sheets from some of them, pictures of in game, maybe some maps of others, a mix from graphical infocom adventures all they way to arcade shoot em ups. i think it would be interesting to have mostly the commercial games then a section of some more recent games.

include loading screens if nice.

demo screens are nice but i think your audience is gamers.

oh, and a section for cart games too.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Bryce

Hmmmm, a Spectrum port in the top row???

Bryce.

arnoldemu

Oh, btw, the biggest market I think will be France, so plenty of games from French publishers.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Skunkfish

And French games are generally pretty gorgeous to look at!
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

seanb

I can't think what else I would like to see but I'm sure others will come up with great suggestions.
I would just like a book like the others already out there or coming out and would like to be involved some how.

It's a shame the community doesn't get together to make one.
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

Skunkfish

They've done one for the C64 AND the Speccy, it would be discrimination if we don't get one too!

Someone contact this Sam Dyer blokey...
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

chinnyhill10

Never seen the appeal of looking at a load of pictures from emulators in books.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

invent

Thanks for your ideas so far. Maps are an interesting idea but hard to know which ones to choose.
Interviews from past and current developers would be great this is what I found interesting in the ZX Spectrum book.

I have to say I haven't followed the Amstrad Demo scene but over time I will look into this more.
It certainly would be nice to be covering current developments such as new hardware/software.

Gryzor

I like them because, if it's well done, the screenshots can point to something interesting I had never noticed or explain some things, point out games to me that I wasn't aware of and they just plain look nice.

Of course there are books out there (no names mentioned...) that are really poorly done, with very basic info and just simple screens thrown in gathered from the web (I've even seen a screenshots stolen from Mobygames, for instance!).

Bryce

For me it's the equivalent of printing out the internet. I see no point in it.

Bryce.

Gryzor

...unless it's got material NOT found on the internet. In a good book, you don't have only screenshots.

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:13, 16 June 16
...unless it's got material NOT found on the internet. In a good book, you don't have only screenshots.

And where exactly are they getting their content from then? The local library?

Bryce.

Gryzor

Oh I don't know, where did people get their content before the Internet? Their brains, sometimes?

Bryce

Even I haven't come up with a way to print pictures from my brain yet. Installing the centronics connector proved to be too painful :D

Bryce.

Gryzor

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:13, 16 June 16

:p

||C|-|E||

In a book like that, we could contribute with our own concepts and graphics from our own games... many of us are doing (or did) things for the CPC that are still for sure not well documented and maybe would be entertaining for others  :)

chinnyhill10

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 13:07, 16 June 16
many of us are doing (or did) things for the CPC that are still for sure not well documented and maybe would be entertaining for others  :)

Commercial suicide I'm afraid.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Bryce

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 13:07, 16 June 16
In a book like that, we could contribute with our own concepts and graphics from our own games... many of us are doing (or did) things for the CPC that are still for sure not well documented and maybe would be entertaining for others  :)

Or you could upload those things here?

Bryce.

Gryzor

The wiki is already perilously enough close to sentience. I'll not be the one to bring the world down.

Sykobee (Briggsy)

The other books are full of articles and interviews with game programmers and so on from back in the day. They nice to flip through when you don't want to be looking at a screen any more :-)

ivarf

Quote from: Bryce on 07:39, 16 June 16
Hmmmm, a Spectrum port in the top row???

Bryce.

What is the name of that game we see there? I remember having great fun playing it. You was sitting in a spaceship or something on a another planet, gravity and trusters. Was it released by Durell

seanb

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:56, 16 June 16
The wiki is already perilously enough close to sentience. I'll not be the one to bring the world down.

Someone has to
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

invent

Hi Ivarf,

The games from left to right in top row are:

Head over Heels, Exolon, The Covenant, Thrust, and Turrican II

invent

Greetings Amstrad fans :)

It's been sometime since I have posted or even worked on some Amstrad pixels sadly but (its still on my todo projects list of course)

Sam Dyer, the very talented Director/Graphic Designer of Bitmap Books asked me today about interested in helping out with an Amstrad Bitmap Compendium Book.
At this moment in time I am swamped with work (game projects and personal art projects)

Do any of you know other Graphic Designers who might like to help Sam on this potential project.  If so could you contact Sam Directly. 

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MrSidC64
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/2146199819
Bitmap books: https://www.bitmapbooks.co.uk/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bitmapbooks