News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Any interest in a new simple Java-based sprites-editor?

Started by mr_lou, 12:15, 20 June 18

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_lou

So I'm pondering about creating a graphics-editor for myself.

A tool that'll let me create CPC sprites, and export as the traditional byte array, but also as BASIC SYMBOL commands and BASIC PRINT commands. For standard MODEs, but also for the 4-color MODE 2 and 16-color MODE 1.

But it shouldn't just run on a desktop PC. It should also run on more portable devices.

I got the idea recently, because I've begun using public transportation a lot. I have 10-15 minutes traveltime 2-4 times a day now. And it would be nice to be able to work on something CPC related while sitting on the bus during those minutes. I have my old trusty Sony Ericsson W995 phone and my Ericsson MC218 pocket computer at my disposal for this. Neither of those will run a .NET app like RGAS of course, but they both run Java - so it'll be a Java based app.

If I succeed in creating such a small app, I'll probably expand it - or else create an additional app that allows me to create level-designs with the graphics. It would be great use of time to be able to design game-levels while sitting on the bus. But one thing at a time.

I'm writing this post to get a feel of interest. Would anyone else be interested in any of this? Or are you all content with existing tools? (And which ones are you using?)
If you're interested in this, please let me know, and also send me your ideas and wishes etc.

Targhan

Mmmmh, would it be "simpler" (but not simple, mind you) to port something like GrafX2 (It's C though... But then you can use QT/Juce to have them on Android/iOS... Which is not your target it seems.) Maybe there are Java-based tools already existing you can use as a starting point. I'm pretty sure there are plenty.
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

mr_lou

Quote from: Targhan on 15:12, 20 June 18
Mmmmh, would it be "simpler" (but not simple, mind you) to port something like GrafX2 (It's C though... But then you can use QT/Juce to have them on Android/iOS... Which is not your target it seems.) Maybe there are Java-based tools already existing you can use as a starting point. I'm pretty sure there are plenty.
No it would not be a simpler solution to port GraphX. It's way too big for what I want.

Basically it should be as simple as a CPC Sprite editor, such as the old classic one from Jason Charlesworth. Simple pixel-by-pixel drawing.
I've developed an allergy towards Android, so I'm not looking at that platform. But because I'm targeting Java, it will of course be able to run on Android too. If not as a native app, then it can probably run via J2ME Loader

There are a few Java based tools yes, but those too seem a bit too big, and of course they don't offer any CPC-specific export options. But I would of course rather create my own app from scratch rather than build on something someone else made. I will definitely disagree with whatever any other developer has done.  ;)

Sykobee (Briggsy)

I've used Asesprite in the past, but of course that is paid (albeit fairly cheap). Obviously the useful feature for yours would be the CPC export.

I don't think the world can ever have enough sprite and tile editors, so go for it, IMO.

ervin

Quote from: Sykobee (Briggsy) on 09:20, 21 June 18
I've used Asesprite in the past, but of course that is paid (albeit fairly cheap). Obviously the useful feature for yours would be the CPC export.

I don't think the world can ever have enough sprite and tile editors, so go for it, IMO.

Asesprite looks really good.
Does it offer any sort of file exports?
I'd love a CPC export.
(sorry to derail the thread)

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Sadly nothing CPC specific (usual png, git, bmp, custom, etc), although a CPC palette is provided and it supports 2:1 pixel ratio editing.

It does apparently have command line integration, although I've not looked into it, so it could be integrated into a custom toolchain I guess.