News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Atari 65XE/800XE/800XL/130XE

Started by Matej, 10:03, 06 November 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Matej

Who else owns this wonderful computer?

I own A130XE:
- 1024kb ram (Ultimate 1M)
- Raster SDdrive
- Raster Stereo (2xPokey)
- Amiga / ST to PS/2 mouse adapter
- Arcade Joystick

Any ATARI 8k fans here?
2x JustCPC

Bryce

I have an 800XL and a 130XE. I've had others (65XE etc) in the past. Great computer for hardware expansion :) I had drives etc too, but I now use an SD2SIO for data storage.

Bryce.

robcfg

As far as I remember, I have the following:

800XL
800XE
600XL
520ST
1040ST

Plua a Sio2SD.

00WReX

I have two 600XL's both upgraded to 64k and two 800XL's (one with a custom switchable OS ROM 'stack').

I use SIO2PC (USB) via a really cheap FTDI USB Serial adapter module which works really well, even at non-standard high speed.
I also have a couple of SIO2SD units.

I really like the Atari XL's, very capable computers, and the 800XL with the ALPS keyboard is really nice.
All four of my computers were not working (or not working properly) when I got them, but all are 100% working now.

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

ASiC

Recently got an 800XL.

Will be upgrading it to 1MB, Stereo Pokey & SiDE when I'll get the time.

Never had an A8 back in the day but I always wanted to get my hands on one.
I love how versatile the Pokey can be. That punchy bass sound is awesome!

Bryce

Quote from: 00WReX on 13:54, 06 November 17
I have two 600XL's both upgraded to 64k and two 800XL's (one with a custom switchable OS ROM 'stack').

I use SIO2PC (USB) via a really cheap FTDI USB Serial adapter module which works really well, even at non-standard high speed.
I also have a couple of SIO2SD units.

I really like the Atari XL's, very capable computers, and the 800XL with the ALPS keyboard is really nice.
All four of my computers were not working (or not working properly) when I got them, but all are 100% working now.

Cheers,
Shane

I bought my 800XL from the "junk bin" of an electronics shop back in the 80's. They had dropped something heavy (A TV I think) onto the keyboard and the Keyboard and main PCBs had broken down the middle. I had to bridge every single trace with jumper wires, but it eventually worked again and still does today. But it looks a state inside.

Bryce.

DanyPPC

Only an Atari 130 XE with SIO2SD interface and an XC12 Datassette.

Great machine, specially for the Pokey audio chip and many playable games.
I consider it one of the best 8bit computer. My classification:

- Commodore 64 250466 SID6581R4AR
- Amstrad CPC6128 Plus (really powerful machine even better the C64, but only few designed games for it, that's a pity)
- Amstrad CPC6128
- MSX1 64K Ram like VG8020/00
- Atari 130XE
- ZX Spectrum 128 (Just Speccy 128k)

CPC 464 with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 464+ with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 6128+ with C4CPC and Gotek HxC USB Drive Emulator

TMR

i've got three 800XLs (one has a memory fault, that's my original from the 1980s and i'll get it sorted out eventually...) with one connected to an SD2IEC and a 600XL with a small keyboard fault that always has Moon Patrol in the cartridge slot.

i've released four games and nine demos for the A8 series, most run on 48K but a few need 64K.

robcfg

Please post links to your productions!

VincentGR

I have 2x800XL with that SD card thingy.
POKEY is a great sound chip.

Token

I have some since few years. A buddy was fan of it and talked me some funny anecdotes about how he was scared as child when playing at Rescue on Fractalus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3yEhnB5sL4 and he also showed me Jet boot jack. I also wanted one because of the original Peter Liepa/Chris Gray Boulder Dash version. I own a 800XL and a 130XL, I was amazed by the quality of the early games, great arcade conversions. I have Dig Dug cartridge otherwise I use Lotharek's Sio2PC -USB.
mmm... Moon patrol, ..  I want it :D   

TMR

Quote from: robcfg on 18:34, 06 November 17
Please post links to your productions!

Most of them are at the Cosine website, with two more demo are [ahem] less sensible over at Pouet.

Bryce

Quote from: TMR on 16:43, 06 November 17
with one connected to an SD2IEC...

You have Commodore hardware connected to an Atari? Impressive  ;D

Bryce.

TMR

Quote from: Bryce on 09:36, 07 November 17
You have Commodore hardware connected to an Atari? Impressive  ;D

Oh bugger... yes, that was a slip of the mind and i meant an SIO2SD. =-)

Bryce

Quote from: TMR on 15:51, 07 November 17
Oh bugger... yes, that was a slip of the mind and i meant an SIO2SD. =-)

You just revealed that you're a Commodore Fanboi!? :)

Bryce.
(Who also owns several Commodores)

TMR

Quote from: Bryce on 15:53, 07 November 17
You just revealed that you're a Commodore Fanboi!? :)

To be honest, i thought that was common knowledge here because it's not as though i tried to hide it...? [Puzzled look]

Token

TMR: you aren't alone ;) I do the same error, sd iec 2 sio...Haha Bryce  :P

Matej

TMR - Nice games! Must play them during weekend. When you will need graphics/music let me know.
2x JustCPC

TMR

Quote from: Token on 20:36, 07 November 17
TMR: you aren't alone ;) I do the same error, sd iec 2 sio...Haha Bryce  :P

i wouldn't mind, but i rarely use my SD2IEC... the "hybrid" C64 (a Breadbin motherboard in a C16 case with Lumafix and SwinSID Nano) is fitted with a 1541 Ultimate 2 and my workhorse C64C has a Turbo Chameleon in the back. So umm yeah, bit of a Commodore fanboy... =-)

Bryce

I have a µIEC installed inside my C64 (non-breadbin) and it's all I ever use for loading games.

Bryce.

TMR

Quote from: Bryce on 09:58, 10 November 17
I have a µIEC installed inside my C64 (non-breadbin) and it's all I ever use for loading games.

i run a lot of demos and need a full drive emulation because of that... plus running a couple of 16Mb C64s means all those jewel cracks which cache the level data to RAM are nice too. =-)

Since i seem to have dragged this off topic a little [ahem] i want to get an Ultimate 1Mb for one of the XLs i mentioned and possibly a SIDE 3, fiances allowing.

Bryce

Ok, back to Atari = The XLs had the best "retro look". Nothing like brown to take you back to the 80's! However the beige part of the case has extreme yellowing issues. The XEs look more serious and any yellowing tends to be less noticeable.

I used to own a lot more Ataris, but I sold most of them. I was hoping to get my hands on an Atari 1200 some day, but that looks unlikely to happen :(

I also used to develop Atari hardware, in fact it was one of my very first paid jobs back in my student days.

Bryce.

ukmarkh

I had the Atari 800XL, it was a damn fine machine, I have some fantastic memories playing games on this system. I'm also a massive shoot-em-fan so the C64 is a massive part of that. Recent arrivals on the CPC though, Dragon Attack, R-Type, Relentless, Sub Hunter and many more have blown me away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VincentGR

I have to agree about the XL, it looks better than the XE series and that's why I've picked them.
Also my 2 800XLs are different to each other.
Keyboard keys are rough to one.

Matej

@Bryce: What hardware did you developed?

Yes XL is very well designed 8bit.
2x JustCPC