News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

can Amstrad PPC512 use CPC monitor or maybe MP1 or MP2 modulator

Started by zapp_man, 23:14, 05 September 15

Previous topic - Next topic

zapp_man

Hello can anyone confirm if I can use a CPC monitor with a PPC512/PPC640 and if so can I use a MP1 or MP2 modulator to power and display via a tv. I read this at old-computers.com.

Thanks in advance.
ZM

Velktron

That sounds unlikely, as the PPC512/640 had a TTL-level CGA/MDA output, which is unsuitable for driving any kind of analog RGB monitor directly.

It's possible to build a relatively simple semi-active converter though (search for CGA to SCART), but I don't know if the CPC monitor could handle the 60 Hz scan rate.

EDIT: my bad, it seems that the PPC512 (or at least certain revisions) included a 6-pin DIN connector for Amstrad's RGB monitors:

Well, it'd be interesting to see how CGA colors were rendered through the RGB output  :o 8)

Bryce

As far as I can remember, the analogue RGB outputs were rendered with a simple resistor network from the TTL levels, much like those CGA to SCART adapters work, so I suspect the picture quality was still crap CGA.

Bryce.

Velktron

Quote from: Bryce on 14:39, 08 September 15
As far as I can remember, the analogue RGB outputs were rendered with a simple resistor network from the TTL levels, much like those CGA to SCART adapters work, so I suspect the picture quality was still crap CGA.

Bryce.

Well, I was referring to a "dispute" about CGA's color 6, which should be Brown instead of Dark Yellow  ;)

http://www.oldskool.org/pc/cgacal

So, does the PPC512/640 display the One True CGA Palette the Way It Was Meant To Be ? (TM)  ;D