News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

De-Yellowing using Bblonde

Started by Dombalurina, 16:34, 22 March 18

Previous topic - Next topic

Dombalurina

I'm in the process of trying to de-yellow a Super Famicom that I got off of eBay that was cheap because it's pretty much brown. It's been sat under a black light for about 36 hours and I've reapplied the Bblonde (40vol, 12%) cream twice so far, once by pouring a load over and twice with a paintbrush. So far there's very little difference. Do I just need to be patient and give it a few days or does anybody have any tips on where I might be going wrong?

Audronic

Sunlight works good as well.
Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Bryce

Black lights produce a very narrow band UV-A light, this may not be the right frequency to activate the BBlonde. A wider spectrum UV source (such as the sun) might be more effective.

Bryce.

Skunkfish

Quote from: Bryce on 08:37, 23 March 18
A wider spectrum UV source (such as the sun) might be more effective.

Good luck finding that!
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

||C|-|E||

There is almost certainly a component of not enough power using a black light. However, I assume that you don´t have a transilluminator at home, so Bryce´s suggestion is good. Widening the spectrum won´t hurt either  :) Something that works, but I don´t know if it is even legal to sell them second hand nowadays, are those crazy UV lamps that people used in the 80s to get tanned. However, they are somehow dangerous.

Dagger

I have 4ft UV tube which does the job but takes about 3 times longer than sunlight.
Life's a bitch. You marry one or two then you die !

Bryce

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 17:45, 23 March 18
There is almost certainly a component of not enough power using a black light. However, I assume that you don´t have a transilluminator at home, so Bryce´s suggestion is good. Widening the spectrum won´t hurt either  :) Something that works, but I don´t know if it is even legal to sell them second hand nowadays, are those crazy UV lamps that people used in the 80s to get tanned. However, they are somehow dangerous.

UV bulbs are still easily sourced. The tubes used for UV PCB development and EPROM erasers can be bought from almost any decent electronics supplier. They are also used in many nail varnish curing machines: https://www.amazon.de/R%C3%B6hren-Lichth%C3%A4rtungsger%C3%A4t-Lichth%C3%A4rteger%C3%A4t-Nagel-Lampe/dp/B01BYHXXO2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1521887289&sr=8-1&keywords=uv+r%C3%B6hren
But these are also quite narrow band and definitely not as good as real sunlight.

Bryce.

chinnyhill10

You can get UV tubes but be careful! I know one person who uses a fishtank fitting with a UV tube all housed in a plastic box which is then placed in his bath. He uses peroxide solution rather than BeBlonde as you can guarantee coverage. But it is nasty stuff.

If using sunlight do not under any circumstances let the BeBlonde dry out.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

paradroid90

With previous projects of retro brighting I have always used B Blonde as base.

Mainly on 64's (Sorry Guys :-) ). Clean and dry off you case, keys etc, apply a nice base coat, wrap in clingfilm or a big enough, clear ziplock bag and leave it out on a sunny day should do the trick.

Usually takes me 6-8 hours maximum to do the job.
Embrace all 8 Bits :-)

Dombalurina

So far I'm on day 5, definitely feel sunlight should have been better, bit I'm too impatient to wait for any of that so blacklight with a little bit of sun when it decides to come out is slowly getting it there, it's almost done now so hopefully by tomorrow it'll be finished.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

Lazy Dude

It would be interesting to see some before and after pictures. Anyone got some?

Dombalurina

Quote from: Lazy Dude on 11:26, 26 March 18
It would be interesting to see some before and after pictures. Anyone got some?
I'm actually filming this for YouTube so if you want to see an absolute amatuer attempt at it (although one that's eventually been successful) then I'll post up when I'm done with it.

Dombalurina

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 23:55, 24 March 18
You can get UV tubes but be careful! I know one person who uses a fishtank fitting with a UV tube all housed in a plastic box which is then placed in his bath. He uses peroxide solution rather than BeBlonde as you can guarantee coverage. But it is nasty stuff.

If using sunlight do not under any circumstances let the BeBlonde dry out.
If I could justify the cost to Ms Dominoid I'd probably give that a go!

Re: drying out, I presume that's what causes the "bloom" I've seen some people suffering from?