News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Netflix' new interactive "Bandersnatch"

Started by mr_lou, 07:38, 31 December 18

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_lou

Anyone seen this? Netflix' new interactive experiment.

We gave it a go yesterday.

It's of course intriguing because it takes place in 1984, and is about a game-developer who is working on his game on a ZX Spectrum. And it starts of really well, in best Black Mirror style. But then it just gets too incoherent, and we ended up being somewhat disappointed.

Interesting concept though. I always wondered why no one did this before, since it would be possible to do with both DVD and Blu-ray. Maybe someone did and I just didn't find it?

What do you think, and why?

mr_lou

I can't believe no one has responded to this post....  :o

Did no one see Bandersnatch on Netflix? I expected it to catch the attention of everyone here a lot more, because the ZX Spectrum has a big role in it.
And there are some easter eggs in the movie in that relation, worth checking out. Visit only if you don't mind spoilers!

Anyway, I have since learned that there are actually a ton of movies like this. I've just never looked the right places apparently.

The website www.fmvworld.com lists a lot of FMV Games (Full Motion Video Games). But that's just one label. Other labels include "DVD Games" and "Interactive Movies". A recent such production that's supposedly fairly good is "Late Shift", available on iOS, Mac,  PS4, Xbox One, Switch and Windows.

For a free example of such an interactive movie, you can try The Outbreak and Bank Run

GUNHED

I got no idea what you're talking about. Maybe to post a link will enlighten us. However, you wrote about a Drecksdrum (ehm. spectrum), not a CPC.  ;) :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

mr_lou

"Bandersnatch" is an interactive movie from Black Mirror, currently available on Netflix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM0xWpBYlNM

Meaning, you get to decide what the main character should do in various situations, and the movie goes in different directions depending on your choices.

Not a new idea - the concept of interactive movies is actually 50 years old, and there are many examples of such movies / games on various consoles through-up time.

But Black Mirror adds a twist that should have been awesome. A brilliant idea - but then sadly terribly executed. Therefor I sadly can't recommend "Bandersnatch" - despite it taking place in 1984 with lots of 80s feel. You of course gotta check it out anyway if you have Netflix.

But I'd love to see other interactive movies. I just bought "Late Shift" from Steam. Sadly it doesn't run on Linux via Wine, so we're gonna try from girlfriend's Win10 probably tomorrow.

reidrac

I don't have Netflix but Bandersnatch had to be the speccy.

Some background: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brataccas#History

There was a lot of hype around this by Imagine, but it never happened (Imagine went bankrupt).
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

keith56

Anyone ever played TLC / POV by Trlobyte - later called aftermath media (the company that did the 7th guest)

They were a PC game and an interactive DVD using video cutscenses of real actors, which asked the player questions and altered the video outcomeof the movie according to the players answers...

They were really quite impressive for their time (mid 90s), and worth a look if you can find them!
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

Skunkfish

I saw this and thought it was interesting, but certainly got a bit chaotic towards the end!
I was wondering why the name sounded familiar, I recall reading about the cancelled Imagine title now.
I used to love those 'Choose your own adventure' books back in the day...
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

mr_lou

Quote from: keith56 on 22:58, 04 January 19
Anyone ever played TLC / POV by Trlobyte - later called aftermath media (the company that did the 7th guest)

Got a link? I can only find this one, which I assume isn't what you're talking about. http://fmvworld.com/pointofview.html

Quote from: Skunkfish on 23:32, 06 January 19
I saw this and thought it was interesting, but certainly got a bit chaotic towards the end!
I was wondering why the name sounded familiar, I recall reading about the cancelled Imagine title now.
I used to love those 'Choose your own adventure' books back in the day...

Yes, it's a shame about Bandersnatch getting so.... abstract.

Meanwhile I've been watching "Late Shift" a few times. Definitely a better experience. Allows for several paths without "going wrong". You'll be taken back to the main story line almost no matter what you choose - which of course can also be a bit annoying.

I've gotten rather hooked on these interactive movies now. Gotta check out some more.

tjohnson

I didn't respond as I don't have Netflix hence didn't see it.  I remember reading about bander snatch where the game was being developed alongside a piece of hardware to enhance the capabilities of the spectrum but as you say they went bankrupt before it was finished.  I think psygnosis picked up the mantle and released the game for amiga and atari St minus the hardware but under a different name.

keith56

Quote from: mr_lou on 07:16, 07 January 19
Got a link? I can only find this one, which I assume isn't what you're talking about. http://fmvworld.com/pointofview.html

Yes that's the one - it says the author made TLC and 11h at the bottom!

The game is an interactive DVD, you watch a section, and it asks you a bunch of ethical/psychometric type questions... the events that occur as the 'film' progresses change depending on your answers!
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

mr_lou

Quote from: tjohnson on 08:20, 07 January 19I think psygnosis picked up the mantle and released the game for amiga and atari St minus the hardware but under a different name.

Yes, "Brataccas"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPzlR0bnruY

Doesn't seem to have anything to do with the Bandersnatch movie though.

Quote from: keith56 on 10:12, 07 January 19Yes that's the one - it says the author made TLC and 11h at the bottom!

The game is an interactive DVD, you watch a section, and it asks you a bunch of ethical/psychometric type questions... the events that occur as the 'film' progresses change depending on your answers!

Gonna have to check that one out. You're the 2nd person to recommend it. But at the moment it's only available in the US when I do a search on eBay. So will have to wait.

Widukind

Quote from: mr_lou on 17:16, 03 January 19
I can't believe no one has responded to this post....  :o
Well, I watched the trailer but didn't like the dark atmosphere, and also I don't have Netflix (which is OK since I don't like them anyway).

However the idea to have retro computer things in a film is nice, of course. So I loved the old film "War games". Also I enjoyed BBC's newer TV docu-drama about Clive Sinclair where the Hobbit actor plays an Amstrad engineer.

mr_lou

Quote from: Widukind on 08:36, 08 January 19However the idea to have retro computer things in a film is nice, of course. So I loved the old film "War games".

Then you might enjoy #WarGames. https://store.steampowered.com/app/779420/WarGames/

Also an interactive movie, as far as I understand. I haven't tried it myself, but heard it should be good.

Let us know!  ;)

mr_lou

I just learned that #WarGames can be played for free here:
https://helloeko.com/wargames

Widukind

It seems that this #Wargames game won't run on my Linux machines?

mr_lou

Quote from: Widukind on 14:52, 08 January 19
Nice! Unfortunately it seems that this #Wargames game won't run on my Linux machines.
(At least the great games Hacker and Hacker II run on the MAME CPC Emulator also with Linux.)

That's a shame. It's running fine here on my Ubuntu.

Widukind

Quote from: mr_lou on 14:54, 08 January 19
It's running fine here on my Ubuntu.
Via Steam and Proton (Valve's Wine) ?
Or via the Helloeko.com website, i.e. just in the HTML5 browser ?
I too use Ubuntu, so it should run, too?

mr_lou

Quote from: Widukind on 15:11, 08 January 19
Via Steam and Proton (Valve's Wine) ?
Or via the Helloeko.com website, i.e. just in the HTML5 browser ?
I too use Ubuntu, so it should run, too?

I'm just using the browser.

Although I'm at the end of episode 2 and so far I haven't actually been asked to choose anything, so I dunno. Maybe I'm missing something.

As far as I understand, the only difference between playing the Steam version and the online version, is that you can "win" achievements on the Steam version. I don't care about that.
But I could be wrong. So far it looks like I'm just watching a movie of sorts, without deciding anything myself.

Widukind

The problem was Firefox with Noscript addon.
So far I don't find it very impressive, however. I really prefer retro games.

mr_lou

Yea, I've watched all 6 episodes now, and I'm puzzled.

Apparently, whatever screen you put in the middle, determines what actions the main character takes. But I didn't get that experience. I just clicked around, and followed the movie.

I might try again later to see if there's any other outcome.

mr_lou

Okay I get it now.

You (kinda) decide what should happen.

For example: In the first episode when they fly the drone to harass that musician dude, whatever window you have chosen has an impact.
If it's the Z-man who's active, then he'll fly the drone, and the musician will end up in the pool.
If it's L1ghtman's window that is active, then she will fly the drone, and the musician will run indoors and shoot the drone.

So while it's not quite as apparent as other choose-your-own-adventure productions, it is you who's turning the movie in a certain direction.

Basically in any situation, you gotta pick who should do something about it.... I guess.

VincentGR

Watched it 3 days ago and made a video with a real ZX about the secret ending.
I was expecting to see more of the game in the movie but got to personal in the end.

ComSoft6128

Hi mr_lou,

You may find this interesting.
I was sure I had seen it recently so if it has already been posted, apologies.
"Commercial Breaks" a BBC TV documentary from 1984 which contrasts the fates of Imagine Software and Ocean.
This is the HQ version - looks like it comes from the original source video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChmQBK_EaUQ