News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New game for C64, Sam's Journey (platformer)

Started by Joseman, 14:36, 09 April 15

Previous topic - Next topic

arnoldemu

Quote from: Bytebreaker on 13:31, 19 February 16
By they way.. is there a special way for Amstrad coders to compensate the lack of hardware sprites in games?

Which method is used to display various multi-colored objects on the screen and move them?
The method depends on the complexity of the game, if it uses cpc's hardware scrolling, and the amount of free ram.

For a game like this the fastest may be compiled sprites where the data is "stored" within the code used to draw it. But this method takes a lot of ram if there are many sprites and animation frames.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

||C|-|E||

A game like this, that already looks very nice, would be awesome in the Plus, with hardware sprites and all the bells and whistles  :)

Bytebreaker

@ arnoldemu

So it should be possible to use a compiled sprite like a Subroutine that can adapt parameters (like movement patterns or coordinates)?

I guess the bitmap area that is over painted by a sprite must be stored upfront, then the sprite must be drawn and when it moves, the background must be restored, the new background area must be saved and the moved sprite must be plotted upon it.

Right?

I can imagine now what a big advantage hardware sprites actually are. And the skill of brilliant coders who compensate lacking hardware sprites successfully  is not acknowledged by the gamer since he has no idea what's actually happening in the background.

He just expects everything to look like on a C64.

arnoldemu

Quote from: Bytebreaker on 12:11, 20 February 16
@ arnoldemu

So it should be possible to use a compiled sprite like a Subroutine that can adapt parameters (like movement patterns or coordinates)?
Yes.

I guess the bitmap area that is over painted by a sprite must be stored upfront, then the sprite must be drawn and when it moves, the background must be restored, the new background area must be saved and the moved sprite must be plotted upon it.
Yes or redraw the tiles.

I can imagine now what a big advantage hardware sprites actually are. And the skill of brilliant coders who compensate lacking hardware sprites successfully  is not acknowledged by the gamer since he has no idea what's actually happening in the background.

He just expects everything to look like on a C64.
Yes the advantages are:
1. no cpu time for drawing
2. no cpu time for erasing or restoring background
3. no cpu time needed to cut sprites if they go behind border.

For CPC all must be done by CPU.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

MacDeath

ukmarkh

I'll have to dig out our old C64 for this! Looks amazing, hoping to get it on cart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

villain

||C|-|E||

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Very impressive! A lot of time and work has gone into this and it shows. It's also a game that targets the hardware's capabilities specifically to bring the best out.

Skunkfish

Looks stunning and moves perfectly. And to think that this is on an 8-bit home computer from 1982.

And it's got that obvious look of a C64 game in terms of resolution and palette, but somehow it's a strength rather than a weakness.
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

DanyPPC

I bought the digital version, very nice platform game  :)
CPC 464 with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 464+ with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 6128+ with C4CPC and Gotek HxC USB Drive Emulator

mr_lou

Hm, a bit too expensive in my opinion. Cartridge version with shipping comes to 61 Euro...

Would have bought the digital version though, if it had been compatible with the EasyFlash 3.

VincentGR

I have to agree that is very expensive but I will buy the digital probably.

But for Pinball Dreams I would give that amount for sure  ;D