Author Topic: Proof that the Commodre 64 palette is far superior to the Amstrad CPC.  (Read 11001 times)

Online SuTeKH/Epyteor

• 6128 Plus
  • Liked: 1015
A couple of "not-really" random examples of C64 graphics converted to the CPC palette (recoloured, as the popular expression goes).
Proof that the dull, washed-out, saturated-brown/grey colours of the Commodore machine are far superior to the bright, lively, comic-esque colours of the Amstrad CPC range of machines.

( apologies, as always, to the original authors. All images downloaded from Commodore 64 Pixel Art Gallery )

- SET 1 of 6

Online SuTeKH/Epyteor

• 6128 Plus
SET 2 of 6

Online SuTeKH/Epyteor

• 6128 Plus
SET 3 of 6

Online SuTeKH/Epyteor

• 6128 Plus
SET 4 of 6

Online SuTeKH/Epyteor

• 6128 Plus
SET 5 of 6

Online SuTeKH/Epyteor

• 6128 Plus
SET 6 of 6

Offline reidrac

• Supporter
  • 464 Plus
  • Trying to gamedev!
    • index.php?action=treasury
    • usebox.net
  • Liked: 668
Some of those screens are really good, thanks for the post.

I don't know much about the C64, but I suspect some of the comments about its palette are undeserved; like some comments about the CPC are total rubbish (I guess it happens with all systems).

I read somewhere that the C64 is good for organic shapes (I can see it in some of the pictures, where the CPC looks perhaps a little too saturated), but I wouldn't go that far as to say is "superior".

The C64 is not currently in may list, but you never know ;)
« Last Edit: 17:47, 13 February 16 by reidrac »
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail and Magica for the CPC.

Offline HAL 6128

• 464 Plus
    • index.php?action=treasury
  • Liked: 154
Those pictures are great. I like them (independent from which computer it came from).

The C64 has advantages when images shows a true environment. I can see more (smoother) gradients (e.g. grey). But superior, no! Just different tastes.

The CPC has definitly a higher saturation or color brightness. It's clearly visible in the comparison (thanks for it). But the more fantastic or imaginary the picture is the more I like the CPC colors.
...proudly supported Pentomino with GFX

Offline ukmarkh

• 6128 Plus
    • Classic Replay
  • Liked: 204
Yep, I think the C64 suffered when compared to the CPC in the colour department. We had both as kids growing up, and would always buy the same game to compare, crazy I know, but more often than not, the C64 had the better game or conversion, but when the Amstrad was programmed properly, using Mode0 and to its full strength, we were all in agreement that the CPC was just as capable as any other 8bit, including the C64. 

Offline 1024MAK

• Supporter
  • 464 Plus
  • Touching the hot end of an iron will hurt!
  • Liked: 132
This is so, so much a matter of taste and what the viewer prefers.

Some look better on the C64. Some look better on the CPC.

WITH BOTH machines, an improved colour palette would have been nice. But we are where we are.

Note that machines designed to output only composite video (and S-Video) will nearly always have a lower saturated colour range compared to machines that output RGB. This is due to the restrictions and limitations of the way the video signal is generated and processed. Also, note that composite and S-Video signals can be (and are) subject to the colour, brightness and contrast settings on the TV / VDU.

Mark
Looking forward to summer in Somerset :-)