News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu
T

Proof that the Commodre 64 palette is far superior to the Amstrad CPC.

Started by tastefulmrship, 16:24, 13 February 16

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

Quote from: SuTeKH/Epyteor on 16:24, 13 February 16
A couple of "not-really" random examples of C64 graphics converted to the CPC palette (recoloured, as the popular expression goes).
Proof that the dull, washed-out, saturated-brown/grey colours of the Commodore machine are far superior to the bright, lively, comic-esque colours of the Amstrad CPC range of machines.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Frank

Hehe, I learn two things from this comparison:
wow, C64 has great pixel artists!
And: you guys DO recall that you have a knob to set the color saturation on you TV/Monitor for the C64?
Anyone ever saw such grey images on his screen? This is hilarious and reveals WAY more than the initial poster probably intended, hehe.

Gryzor

I really don't think that any amount of saturation fixing would do the c64 palette much good (make it bleed, more like it).

That said, as others stated before me, some pictures do look better on the c64, of course. But this comparison is so one-sided it makes no sense. How about we take some CPC favorites and convert them to the c64 palette? That'd need to be part of the comparison, no?

Bryce

As the C64 was originally "tuned" for NTSC, comparing the CPC to C64 PAL screens isn't really fair either.

Bryce.

MaV

Bryce, that is certainly true, but then again almost all current productions for the C64 are done with PAL in mind; the demoscene is mostly a European thing.

Most of the converted pictures look like they are lighted much stronger from one light source. Human bodies especially seems to be well-oiled and glistening in the light (not that there's anything wrong with that. ;) )

MacDeath is right from my POV.
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

ZbyniuR

I see 9 persons took my dsk from #17 post with pictures in blinking colors, but nobody said a word, is it good idea or not.
In STARS, TREK is better than WARS.

SRS

Quote from: ZbyniuR on 18:39, 15 February 16
I see 9 persons took my dsk from #17 post with pictures in blinking colors, but nobody said a word, is it good idea or not.

I took a look at 'em. Interesting work - but I did not see the effect on most of em - but DOM !

It is a incredible difference between normal and blinking - blinking looks way better !

SRS

Nich

Quote from: ZbyniuR on 18:39, 15 February 16

I downloaded it, but I don't like this technique of 'creating' additional colours by alternating between 2 colours very rapidly. Even on a real CPC monitor, I notice the flashing and I find it ugly and very distracting.

MacDeath

I see many persons took a like to my posts with pictures in CPC colors, but nobody said a word, is it good idea or not ?

:laugh:

jokes appart :

I fail to see any Rainbow...

[attachimg=1]

But yeah, really need to account for all the other colours that may be added this dragon could use like 2-3 extra shades/hues...
... I also corrected a lot of character artefacts.

andycadley

Quote from: SRS on 19:31, 15 February 16
I took a look at 'em. Interesting work - but I did not see the effect on most of em - but DOM !

It is a incredible difference between normal and blinking - blinking looks way better !
On an emulator, it looks terrible. I thought maybe it's one of those "real hardware" things, but having tried it on my 6128+/CM14 it's still pretty much epilepsy valley - it doesn't really give any feel of extra colours and the flickering is enormously apparent. Maybe on older CPC monitors it works better but I haven't gone one to try it on. That said I've seen lots of variations on this "technique" on different 8-bit systems and I've yet to see any of them that work convincingly.

TFM

Quote from: MacDeath on 21:01, 15 February 16
I see many persons took a like to my posts with pictures in CPC colors, but nobody said a word, is it good idea or not ?
:laugh:

Well, you know nobody wants to get in an argument with this Sutek guy, but yes your idea is great!  :) :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

SRS

Quote from: andycadley on 21:02, 15 February 16
On an emulator, it looks terrible. I thought maybe it's one of those "real hardware" things, but having tried it on my 6128+/CM14 it's still pretty much epilepsy valley - it doesn't really give any feel of extra colours and the flickering is enormously apparent. Maybe on older CPC monitors it works better but I haven't gone one to try it on. That said I've seen lots of variations on this "technique" on different 8-bit systems and I've yet to see any of them that work convincingly.

I just saw it on winape and only DOM showed me a "wow"-effect.  I'm more into "dithering" on CPC to get more colours.

Maybe I am just blind for more than 16 colours on one screen, Schneider Imprinting / Wdrukowanie, you know

SRS

Quote from: MacDeath on 21:01, 15 February 16

Not my cup ot tea  :P

andycadley

Quote from: SRS on 21:12, 15 February 16
I just saw it on winape and only DOM showed me a "wow"-effect.  I'm more into "dithering" on CPC to get more colours.

Maybe I am just blind for more than 16 colours on one screen, Schneider Imprinting / Wdrukowanie, you know

The DOM one will load a standard CPC+ palette on WinAPE by default, which certainly does look nice but that's the benefit of 4095 colours!

SRS

Ah, okay ! Now I'd like to pimp my 6128 to 6128+

HAL6128

Quote from: SuTeKH/Epyteor on 16:24, 13 February 16
Proof that the dull, washed-out, saturated-brown/grey colours of the Commodore machine are far superior to the bright, lively, comic-esque colours of the Amstrad CPC range of machines.
Aehmm,... no ;)
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

MacDeath

QuoteMaybe I am just blind for more than 16 colours on one screen, Schneider Imprinting / Wdrukowanie, you know
Lol, then those 27 colours may hurt you :

Also because I like being a pathetic show of :

yeah, not every Amstrads are pathetic in grey&browns...

this one would scroll of course...

sometimes Mode1 is enough...

SRS

Quote from: MacDeath on 21:57, 15 February 16
Lol, then those 27 colours may hurt you :

I see only green and black - so what ?

:P :P :P

EDIT: Nice work. As stated before, art is not my gift. Keep it comin' !

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Porting C64 graphics to the CPC - pretty damn easy, with some manual fixing of character artifacts to improve it further. Moody dark miserable grey/brown scenes might not port well.

Porting CPC graphics to the C64 - HARD.

C64 display compromises for fast gaming performance, sprites and hardware scrolling - yeah, give us our palette win at least, eh!

MacDeath

Also while you may have to turn the colour saturation setting to the max on your TV to get the C64 actually display a "as if" feeling of pseudo colours... you can also set the colour saturation into medium when plugging a CPC and guess what... it works even better as 27 is clearly better than 16..

C64 has only one Yellow that serves mostly as brown highlight or to make believe there are some greens, one cyan that serves as Blue substitute, and one Mauve/magenta that serves as pseduo Blue/purple.

Basically all the grey patches in a "colour ramp" are like a "missing colour" zone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM1BSm3Bsho

Now please convert those on C64 :

Another fun one :

dodogildo

Palette is insignificant. Animation/interaction is what counts in terms of computer art presentation.

These are computers for God's sake. Not just plain canvases. On these grounds C64 already won the war some 30 years ago. While our CPC won the best all around 8bit machine Oscar maybe.
M'enfin!

ZbyniuR

In STARS, TREK is better than WARS.

Gryzor

A bit off-topic, but BoingBoing is crediting IndieRetroNews for the image collection...*sigh*

Bryce

Quote from: MaV on 17:27, 15 February 16
Bryce, that is certainly true, but then again almost all current productions for the C64 are done with PAL in mind; the demoscene is mostly a European thing.

Most of the converted pictures look like they are lighted much stronger from one light source. Human bodies especially seems to be well-oiled and glistening in the light (not that there's anything wrong with that. ;) )

MacDeath is right from my POV.

Yes, but the HARDWARE was made for NTSC and then bodged to work on PAL. So the colour values are wrong. The coding can't change that.

Bryce.