News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu
T

Proof that the Commodre 64 palette is far superior to the Amstrad CPC.

Started by tastefulmrship, 16:24, 13 February 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

True, but I feel Oliver does have a point (and we're running around in circles a bit): one thing is the pure output; another is, how the average user received that output back then. For the CPC it's pretty clear, but the RF degradation does show the point. For other machines not so much.

In any case, it'd be very interesting to see these measurements...

villain

It's a little bit like discussing if pasta or potatoes taste better. :-) That's a question of your personal taste on one hand and the cook and the recipe on the other hand.

Quote from: Oliver Lindau on 10:49, 02 May 17
...also started on Amstrad (like me) and...

Was any of your work from this time conserved?

ZbyniuR

I modify palette two C64 pictures, into CPC palette. This time in pictures size a few screens.
I had problems to find them in 16 colors and wide pixels, because they exist in net only in 256 kolors and double resolution, to look better on pages.

So in Bigflower only different is palette. But in LouiePanda I left C64 version in double resolution and 256, to show you how it looked on start.   Some C64 colors should be different CPC color in one part of picture then in other part, but I'm too lazy to change it. :)

Edit:  One more version of Panda. IMHO middle part of this picture with brown tree and darker trees in background, look better in first version. But up and down parts with ‎leaves look better in second palette. There is only 12 colors use, so it could be improve.
In STARS, TREK is better than WARS.

Gryzor

Bigflower looks gorgeous in both versions, for different reasons.

LouiePanda, though, has really non-working dithering in the CPC palette...

Maniac

HAL6128

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:50, 09 October 18
Bigflower looks gorgeous in both versions, for different reasons.
I agree. Very good grafic artist. Like the demo too. Nice conversion of the flower picture.
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

ZbyniuR

I'm not artist. I just see different between colors. I slightly changed shade of both greens in Flowers.

And now I'm glad how Panda looks. That is what I wanted at start. :)

Sykobee (Briggsy)

The flower image - well, the flowers are still alive in the CPC version, they're long dead in the C64 original!

But the C64 is better at tree trunks - at least oak trees. The CPC can do a decent redwood however. That picture does show that you cannot do simple palette swaps sometimes - that image is designed for not just the colours, but the luminosity of the C64 palette, which is very difficult to port to the CPC with its far brighter palette.

ZbyniuR

Work of Prowler on C64 from Compusphere party 2018,
and CPC colors to compare.

rexbeng

Hey! Nice C64 graphic. But let me fix it for you.

"Work of Prowler on C64 from Compusphere party 2018, and bad use of CPC palette to compare."

There!  :)

rb

ZbyniuR

Can you do better?  ‎I dare you. :)

HAL6128

Bad example. Natural colors are nothing for the CPC. It's an Comic / Arcade machine.

rexbeng

@ZbyniuR

Arguably.

But I really do not enjoy converting other people's images and, besides, there is no need to prove a point here. We are almost in 2019, all technical information is available, and so are examples of pixel images from many computers. So, one should be able to see that, in the case of such limited fixed palettes, just replacing the colours when converting from one machine to the other is not enough. There needs to be an amount (really-really heavy amount in some cases) of work done on re-pixeling it. This applies both ways, of course; it's even harder to convert from CPC to C64 because you'd additionally have to solve the 3 colours per character attribute problems.

@HAL 6128

It doesnt have to do with natural colours. Just look at the image with the flowers a few messages above. Flowers in reality are vivid, therefor the CPC image looks more natural (it would look even better with some re-pixeling). One could even argue about Prowler's image being 'naturalistic' or not, but I don't think it's even aiming at being naturalistic anyway.

ZbyniuR

@rexbeng - Are you give up?  Did you tried? 
Now you know some picture is not so ease to make them look decent on CPC. :)

HAL6128

Quote from: rexbeng on 23:29, 03 December 18
@HAL 6128

It doesnt have to do with natural colours. Just look at the image with the flowers a few messages above. Flowers in reality are vivid, therefor the CPC image looks more natural (it would look even better with some re-pixeling). One could even argue about Prowler's image being 'naturalistic' or not, but I don't think it's even aiming at being naturalistic anyway.
Oh, I think it has. Prowlers (Klas Benjaminsson) images are always try to find a way to combine real with surreal elements. He is working a lot with faces and is using a natural base fading to the invented things. You can do that with a CPC too, but it depends on the objects and story you want to tell.
The flowers are a good example which works perfect. With the Panda or Skull/woman that doesn't anymore work in my opinion

By the way, your works of converting images are great. I like it very much! I also like the comparison between the CPC and C64. It (still) feels like the competitions back in the eighties.

zack4mac

You say Tomato, I say ToMAto it really is six of one and half dozen of the other.  Now if you compare them with the ATARI 2600 or VC20 then there would be a worthwhile difference, for myself I will be biased slightly by what warmed my heart at the time,  when I was a little nipper!  ;)

TotO

I don't though this stupid topic always exist...  :-\

Try to convert great CPC pictures to C64 and you got the same dilemma with colours choice.  :laugh:
Next, the C64 colours mainly used are wrong, because bad decoded from the NTSC signal.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

zack4mac

Here is a perfect example showing the advanced capabilities of the Coleco
SVGA on the left and ADAM on the right

zhulien

Noncorpus

even though this has not been commented on in a couple of years, i must reply.

it still bugs me that i don't see anyone being able to convert an Amstrad CPC image onto a C64? wouldn't that matter? if one can do it and the other can't, then its just proof of the opposite. the Amstrad palette is superior.
even if you allow the c64 art to contain more ink in each block. i'd like to see it done.

and as for the people who were bringing up animation issues etc. that is clear now that it was the game programmers not understanding what the machine was capable of back then.. not a fault of the machine it's self. just check some of the latest CPC games and demos.

and if we are talking about just the palette it's self.. well this test image is done with all 27 CPC colours, with some dithering and interlacing.

(and by the way i collect and like both c64 and cpc)

Case Closed  :-X

Gryzor

Quote from: Noncorpus on 01:48, 24 May 21i don't see anyone being able to convert an Amstrad CPC image onto a C64? wouldn't that matter?

But... lots of examples in this very thread, doesn't really prove anything anyway.