News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Revision 2015 8088 demo

Started by Singaja, 12:08, 07 April 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Singaja

MacDeath

Let's post it properly :

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHXx3orN35Y

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdb3AQ14iVc

euh... c'est du CGA avec quel type d'écran ou de trick ?
on dirant du mode0, c'est le trick écran composite ?
Et pourquoi y'a jamais de Démos en EGA...sniff...

oops, did it in french...

so it is some 160x200x16 CGA ?
What trick are they using, the 160x200x16 was not available on every CGA though... I thought it was mostly a Tandy/PCjr thing, or early EGA as well.
Also I dream for a real EGA+AdLib demo as well.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6CkYou6hYU

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK703qMFb0M

Singaja

McKlain

MaV

Trixter's new blog entry explains it all:

8088 MPH: We Break All Your Emulators « Oldskooler Ramblings

It was a blast watching it live at the party, and it got top votes from me! Some criticised the PC sound. Well, he could have used a soundcard just like he did for the 8088 domination demo, but that would diminish the technical achievement somewhat. This demo supports the true configuration of a lot of PC XTs back in the days.

Hehe, and it won't work with dos emulators. ---> In. your. face! :D <---
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

MacDeath

does it work on an Amstrad PC1512 ?

I mean, PC1512 wasn't a 100%CGA compliant, but the 640x200x16 was great.

MaV

Quote from: MacDeath on 11:24, 08 April 15

I could test that, but the PC1512 I have here needs a bit of work to get working. It will also be a bit of a hassle to copy the file(s) to a 5 1/4 floppy disk.
But I'm predicting problems because it's a 8086 machine and the demo needs very precise timing, also - as you mentioned - the PC1512 is not 100% CGA compliant. And the PC1512 specific graphics mode is not supported at all.
My other PC XT - the Commodore PC-I - will have better chances; but even this one has a mixed graphics chip (called AGA even though it has nothing whatsoever to do with the Amiga AGA - I can picture some suits talking bullshit at a meeting and deciding on that abbreviation).

Bryce

AGA = Advanced Graphics Accelerator / Adapter was used on many different devices. The Amiga is the most well known, but there were many others.

Bryce.

McKlain

To make color effects like the ones on the demo you need a cga adapter with a ntsc composite video output.

arnoldemu

Quote from: Bryce on 12:33, 08 April 15
AGA = Advanced Graphics Accelerator / Adapter was used on many different devices. The Amiga is the most well known, but there were many others.

Bryce.
AGA was only on the Amiga and the CD32.

Are you confusing VGA or similar?
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Bryce

Quote from: arnoldemu on 13:37, 08 April 15
AGA was only on the Amiga and the CD32.

Are you confusing VGA or similar?

I don't mean that they actually used Amiga AGA, rather the abbreviation "AGA" was commonly used for all sorts of graphics cards and other devices.

Eg: Alienware Graphics Amplifier = AGA

Bryce. 

MaV

There's the Amiga AGA:
Amiga Advanced Graphics Architecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And then there's the Commodore PC AGA. Many German pages reference it in google but there's hardly info in English about it:
What is an AGA? (*not* AMIGA) - comp.sys.cbm
It is just a combined CGA/Hercules card just like any other non-genuine CGA card in the late 80s.

I didn't know that the term was used more profusely in the tech industry back then as Bryce mentioned. But then again, a CGA/Hercules card was just that and didn't deserve a fancy term for it (the reason for my mentioning suits and their BS terms which only serves to confuse people.)

Here's a few German pages with the info:
Commodore PC-10 bis PC-60 – Wikipedia
Advanced Graphics Architecture – Wikipedia <-- mention of renaming Amiga AGA to AA because the PC AGA has already been in use.
http://www.dosforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7946

MaV

Quote from: McKlain on 13:11, 08 April 15
To make color effects like the ones on the demo you need a cga adapter with a ntsc composite video output.
Yes, and I remember that most of the CGA cards I had come across had such a composite video output, even a lot of the combined graphics cards.

McKlain

Yep, a friend of mine had an 8086 PC compatible with a CGA card with composite output back in the day, but as you can imagine when he tried to plug it on his tv all he got was a black and white image.

remax

Quote from: MacDeath on 11:24, 08 April 15

No, it doesn't even work on a lot of 8088 4,77Mhz clones.
Brain Radioactivity

MacDeath

I guess an Amstrad PC1512 is a complete powerhouse compaired to first IBM PC specs...

8086 @8mhz, pseudo CGA with a real 640x200x16 mode, 512K RAM... can the "CGAmstrad" enable some tricks due to its specific built and "(bill) gate array" ?

I often feel sorry the PC1512/PC1640 didn't made it into a proper Demo-category...
they actually sold millions units are are somewhat still retro common sight.

I guess picture quality in 640x200x16 must be quite nice and smooth, was it ?

My EGA has issues with most vertical 200pixels modes as it stretched the native 350 suface into 200 so I had big dark scanlines... but on a real CGA monitor it must be quite smooth looking if well used.

I remember Might and Magic III : isles of terra could support EGA's 640x200x16 and it was really cool.

Also what about the 8087 Math Co-CPU ?