Swainy 66
ZEUSDAZ 49
mr_lou 28
Robocop Prime - 32821 Views gryzor 13:44, 08 February 14
Proof that the... - 21561 Views tastefulmr... 17:24, 13 February 16
Pacman emulato... - 16943 Views Joseman 02:31, 10 November 11
Cosmic Prison ... - 15928 Views Carnivac 22:33, 19 June 14
Roland of Sherwood - 15207 Views Carnivac 16:31, 28 July 15

Author Topic: The Classic Adventurer (Bookazine)  (Read 398 times)

Offline Strident

• CPC664
    • 8bitAG
  • Liked: 91
  • Likes Given: 8
The Classic Adventurer (Bookazine)
« on: 12:15, 06 February 19 »
I'm surprised that this hasn't got a mention anywhere in the forum before now, but fans (or past fans) of text adventures may like to check out Mark Hardisty's The Classic Adventurer Bookazine at...

http://classicadventurer.co.uk/

Currently running to four issues, with a potential fifth on the way, this is a well-produced colour magazine featuring interviews with professional and amateur adventure writers, both from back in the day and also those working on new modern games for old platforms.

Those interviewed included Trevor Hall (Twin Kingdom Valley), Veronika Megler (The Hobbit), Fergus McNeill (Delta 4), Tim Gilberts (Gilsoft), Anita Sinclair (Magnetic Scrolls), John Wilson (Zenobi) and Charles Cecil (Artic).

Available in either glossy (and not so glossy) printed editions or as FREE PDFs, the magazine is well worth picking up for the loving recreated illustrations alone.
8-Bit Adventure Gamer / 8bitAG.com - 8bitAG.com/info - 8bitAG.com/games

Online Gryzor

• Administrator
  • 6128 Plus
  • CPC-Wiki maintainer
    • CPCWiki
  • Liked: 2880
  • Likes Given: 4975
Re: The Classic Adventurer (Bookazine)
« Reply #1 on: 16:23, 12 February 19 »
Ah yes, the design is excellent in these!

Offline Loki

• CPC464
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: 23:13, 14 February 19 »
Came across these not too long ago myself, really well put together with some great interviews and features as well. I found the style of the interviews a bit odd at first, as it's not a straight Q&A but instead goes through their history with the person interviewed commenting on it, but once you're used to it it actually works really well and is good to get across information that you might not get with just questions and answers.

I've always been a fan of the genre, pretty much since my first experience with them as a kid (Kentilla was the first one I played), so it's great reading about some of the classics and hearing info from behind the scenes, and also discovering ones I'd either missed back in the day, or even new games coming out now. It was in The Classic Adventurer where I came across Doomsday Lost Echoes for example, for the CPC which came out not too long ago and is one I've been playing very recently, an excellent game.

Offline Strident

• CPC664
    • 8bitAG
« Reply #3 on: 21:35, 19 May 19 »
Issue 5 is now available!

Again as a free download or paid-for printed softback magazine.

See http://classicadventurer.co.uk for details.

Offline Strident

• CPC664
    • 8bitAG
« Reply #4 on: 23:59, 19 May 19 »

Mark has also posted the full interview he did with artist Teoman Irmak here, which discusses the novel way he built up images for the Adventure International UK games, such as Gremlins...

https://markhardisty.wordpress.com/2019/05/19/the-classic-adventurer-full-interview-with-teoman-irmak