News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Toshiba HX-10 Repair

Started by Vyper68, 14:58, 28 December 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Vyper68

Hi
I have a HX 10 that i bought off eBay as probably working but turned out all that worked was the Red LED on the keyboard. Is anyone familiar with MSX's seeing as they are a sideshoot of Z80 Computers.
The Power LED comes on - Black Screen - No Caps Lock LED.

Don't know where to start - some chips are showing heat damage on there legs ( the VDP being one ) doesn't look good.
Paul Woakes - Genius & Programmer

Thank you for Mercenary Paul

tjohnson

Quote from: Vyper68 on 14:58, 28 December 17
Hi
I have a HX 10 that i bought off eBay as probably working but turned out all that worked was the Red LED on the keyboard. Is anyone familiar with MSX's seeing as they are a sideshoot of Z80 Computers.
The Power LED comes on - Black Screen - No Caps Lock LED.

Don't know where to start - some chips are showing heat damage on there legs ( the VDP being one ) doesn't look good.
Hmm doesn't sound good, read probably working to be not working.   Always worth trying to see what the seller has been doing from their feedback and whether they really know what is going on.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Vyper68

Quote from: tjohnson on 15:15, 28 December 17
Hmm doesn't sound good, read probably working to be not working.   Always worth trying to see what the seller has been doing from their feedback and whether they really know what is going on.

I guess it's my own fault i didn't do my homework and ask if the Cap Lock light came on which is a good way to tell if it has got to it's BASIC screen without being connected to a TV. It's a shame as the machine seems in good condition. There are loads of chips inside it has some 4116's for 16K VRAM and 4164's for 64K RAM, the main chips are socketed but that RAM would be a nightmare. I have tried a know good Z80 with no joy. The VDU Chip has a Aluminum Heatsink and when i took it out the chip pins were covered in oxidised "soot" for a better word i had to gently rub it off. It must have run extremely hot when it did work.
It just seems a shame to throw the whole thing in the bin - i will keep going for a bit i'm going to need some 4116's arrrg! :doh:   

Bryce

Send it over if you like and I'll take a look at it. The blackening on the IC pins isn't due to heat, this tarnishing just happens over time.

Bryce.

Vyper68

Quote from: Bryce on 12:54, 31 December 17
Send it over if you like and I'll take a look at it. The blackening on the IC pins isn't due to heat, this tarnishing just happens over time.

Bryce.

Thanks Bryce, it's in the middle of a PayPal claim right now but if i don't get to send it back i will send you a PM  :D

Vyper68

Could a Mod close this thread please as the HX10 went back to the seller and i no longer have it.

Bryce

We don't close threads here, we just let them fade away :)

Bryce.

tjohnson

How did you manage to return it was it not marked spares or repair?

Vyper68

The seller had listed it as "appears working" in the title even though they later said spares & no returns and it was escalated to a PayPal claim and they saw it my way. I am having no luck at the moment. I bought a 800XL off someone else as fully working and it lasted all of 20 minutes before packing in. The seller is saying because it passed the self test when it arrived it was working when it arrived and ergo no refund. My argument is 10-20 minutes does not constitute working in my eyes and i am back with PayPal again with another claim. Honestly eBay is turning into a right nightmare for me trying to buy old kit. I just hope to god this 464 works ( i am fingers crossed as the last one the guy sold to me was the one i have now and it worked - the one i have bought now is in better cosmetic nick )

Bryce

You're better off asking in a Forum (like this one). What computers are you looking for? I'll keep an eye out for known working machines if you let me know what you want.

What went wrong with the XL?

Bryce.

Vyper68

I was playing happily to myself - i had bought a SIO2USB adapter from Lotharek and i was running the Atari Graphics Demo ( Brass Cylinders ) and it froze mid scene. I thought oh well it's crashed. Turned it off and back on again and met with a Black screen. So i unplugged everything except the power still got a Black screen. I plugged in a known working game Cartridge to see if i needed to bypass BASIC but no, just a Black screen. So i had a look on the AtariAge Forums and it's either/or/both RAM,GTIA or another Atari specific chip. It's not the same as the CPC where i can get Z80's or 6845's - even the CPU is not standard  :'(

tjohnson

Quote from: Vyper68 on 10:37, 11 January 18
The seller had listed it as "appears working" in the title even though they later said spares & no returns and it was escalated to a PayPal claim and they saw it my way. I am having no luck at the moment. I bought a 800XL off someone else as fully working and it lasted all of 20 minutes before packing in. The seller is saying because it passed the self test when it arrived it was working when it arrived and ergo no refund. My argument is 10-20 minutes does not constitute working in my eyes and i am back with PayPal again with another claim. Honestly eBay is turning into a right nightmare for me trying to buy old kit. I just hope to god this 464 works ( i am fingers crossed as the last one the guy sold to me was the one i have now and it worked - the one i have bought now is in better cosmetic nick )
To be honest this is why I'm nervous about selling higher value 2nd hand stuff on eBay using PayPal 30 year old computer working when sold, breaks down for whatever reason then buyer wants money back, i can see the sellers point of view too on this.   Paypal seems to favour buyer even when dealing in old 2nd hand goods.

Bryce

I know, I repair them too. If you have no luck getting a refund, I may have a working 800XL PCB. It's quite likely that the GTIA has failed. If it's just RAM the selftest would still work.

Bryce.

Vyper68

It's a bit a dilemma because i had been looking for one for ages that didn't have a Bromide "spray-tan" and this one turned up and it's got a good keyboard not the Mitsumi one that everyone hates, nice condition. I test it and it works and i think get in! and then poof!!!.
I have just had a look and the GTIA,ANTIC, CPU & POKEY are all socketed so i have e-mailed Best Electronics in the US for a GTIA & CPU and see if i can get it going. I really don't want to give up on it if i don't have to but i can't afford to just write the money off either.

tjohnson

Quote from: Vyper68 on 10:51, 11 January 18
I was playing happily to myself - i had bought a SIO2USB adapter from Lotharek and i was running the Atari Graphics Demo ( Brass Cylinders ) and it froze mid scene. I thought oh well it's crashed. Turned it off and back on again and met with a Black screen. So i unplugged everything except the power still got a Black screen. I plugged in a known working game Cartridge to see if i needed to bypass BASIC but no, just a Black screen. So i had a look on the AtariAge Forums and it's either/or/both RAM,GTIA or another Atari specific chip. It's not the same as the CPC where i can get Z80's or 6845's - even the CPU is not standard  :'(
Are you sure you didn't damage it with the non standard hardware add-on?

Vyper68

As far as i know the SIO2USB just emulates the the 1050 Floppy or 1010 Tape - It does not pass any current into the 800XL. There are hundreds of these things floating around out there but i have never heard of one damaging the 800XL.
I think i was just unlucky.