News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad CPC newbie graphic mode questions

Started by Mozartkügel, 20:42, 30 September 19

Previous topic - Next topic

ZbyniuR

Mozart - I think about 2/3 games for CPC use wide pixels in 16 colors, rest square pixels in 4 colors. Few % of them use tricks with different 4 colors in other parts od screen.

ZX Spectrum use 6.7KB video RAM, C64 9KB, CPC 16KB as standard, but with overscan can be 25.5KB (rather in demos). Sometimes screen can be wider and lower and still have 16KB for example Super Cauldron.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/cpc/super-cauldron/screenshots/gameShotId,158484

Narrow screen with resolution like in Spectrum needs just 12KB. In fast game scroll by 8pix is not so bad, try Prohibition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofZfEtP7g1U

If you not great programer you may try "Sprite Alive". Thats Basic compiler with extra commands for sprites, one of best know game made by this is Titus the Fox: Here scroll is not so great, but all Amstrad owner like this. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVZhTNs5TP8

Hardware scrool in CPC jump by 8 pixel. Try this:

10 ' here you can load some picture some 17K file as LOAD"name.scr",&C000
20 DEFINT a-z:WHILE-1:v=48+t\256:w=t MOD 256:OUT&BC00,13:OUT&BD00,w:CALL&BD19:OUT&BC00,12:OUT&BD00,v
30 IF INKEY(1)=0THEN t=t-1ELSE IF INKEY(8 )=0THEN t=t+1
40 IF INKEY(2)=0THEN t=t-40ELSE IF INKEY(0)=0THEN t=t+40
50 t=(t+1024)MOD 1024:WEND' now use arrows to enjoy scrolling
In STARS, TREK is better than WARS.

Mozartkügel

Hey thanks for all the hints and info ZbyniuR!

Quote from: ZbyniuR on 03:58, 18 October 19
Mozart - I think about 2/3 games for CPC use wide pixels in 16 colors, rest square pixels in 4 colors. Few % of them use tricks with different 4 colors in other parts od screen.

I haven't seen THAT many CPC games yet, but I think that's about the ratio I've seen too so far. 16 colors are plenty for me, so I wont need to strain my mind with learning the tricks at this point  ;D
Quote from: ZbyniuR on 03:58, 18 October 19If you not great programer you may try "Sprite Alive". Thats Basic compiler with extra commands for sprites, one of best know game made by this is Titus the Fox: Here scroll is not so great, but all Amstrad owner like this. ;)

I think it looks pretty great. It's not the smoothest game I've seen in the world, but on the whole the graphics are nice and it looks like fun!
Sprites Alive looks interesting! I'm not sure I will have the patience to use native tools though. We shall see! ;D I'm more used to C, so using C in a simple manner might be easier for me than Basic.

Mozartkügel

By the way, I wrote a blog about my current thoughts on my long term multi platform wip game project "Baron Lovejoy" over at AtariAge if someone would happen to be curious. It also has proper sized mock ups / screenshots:

https://atariage.com/forums/blogs/entry/16274-baron-lovejoy-game-project-introduction/

ervin

Quote from: Mozartkügel on 21:28, 19 October 19
Hey thanks for all the hints and info ZbyniuR!

I haven't seen THAT many CPC games yet, but I think that's about the ratio I've seen too so far. 16 colors are plenty for me, so I wont need to strain my mind with learning the tricks at this point  ;D
I think it looks pretty great. It's not the smoothest game I've seen in the world, but on the whole the graphics are nice and it looks like fun!
Sprites Alive looks interesting! I'm not sure I will have the patience to use native tools though. We shall see! ;D I'm more used to C, so using C in a simple manner might be easier for me than Basic.

If you're used to C, it's worth having a look at cpctelera.
It's an absolutely *outstanding* framework.

Mozartkügel

Quote from: ervin on 04:31, 20 October 19

If you're used to C, it's worth having a look at cpctelera.
It's an absolutely *outstanding* framework.
Hey thanks for the hint! I found it a couple of days ago and the features look fantastic! I will definitely have a closer look at it.

ervin

Lots of people on cpcwiki are familiar with cpctelera (myself included), so feel free to ask for help when needed.

Mozartkügel

Quote from: ervin on 00:53, 21 October 19
Lots of people on cpcwiki are familiar with cpctelera (myself included), so feel free to ask for help when needed.
Thank you very much! Thank you very much everyone for the warm welcome and all the help!