News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPCRetrodev 2018 : Deeper Warrens

Started by Arnaud, 20:54, 05 November 18

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnaud

Hi, now the official videos of the CPCRetroDev 2018 are online,
here some additional pictures of my entry of CPCRetroDev 2018.

And the link of the preview :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPj6HYSSrg8&list=PLnNtPzP5Xy3QrE8Eq_ts9I4uDUOItxAP6&index=40

As you guess, my game is inspired by Gauntlet with part of Rpg.
You gain XP, found treasures and buy equipment along the 25 levels.

I'm currently working on an improved edition without bugs i missed and with some features i haven't time to code.

The loading introduction was done by CPC-Power and the picture by CED. Big thanks to them.
And the sound was done with the great Arkos2.

I really hope you'll like play with it  :D

Edit : Bugfree edition added (10/11)
Edit : Version A added (24/11)
Edit : Version B added (27/11)
Edit : Version C added (02/12)

ervin

Looks great.
I'm looking forward to playing it.  8)

tastefulmrship

I love GAUNTLET! I love RPG!
This is an instant WIN for me! ^_^

GOB

I don't know if the game is good (but i will play it when will be possible), but a thing is sure: the intro screen is really beautiful.

SpDizzy

Thanks so much for this @Arnaud , it would be great to play it. Bitume was really good, so just waiting for the moment to play Deeper Warrens. My best wishes for the contest

Arnaud

Hello,
CPCRetrodev is over and my game reach the 8th place.

Here the the bug free edition (i hope  ;) ),
please use it instead of the cpcretrodev version.

Enjoy It.

jesusdelmas

Quote from: Arnaud on 15:37, 10 November 18
Hello,
CPCRetrodev is over and my game reach the 8th place.

Here the the bug free edition (i hope  ;) ),
please use it instead of the cpcretrodev version.

Enjoy It.

Thanks Arnaud!! your game its really good one one of my favourites ! did you put extra features in this last version? your game could have been perfectly the winner, my congrats.

VincentGR

Manu

Your game is great, I think it deserved a better position. Nice work there!

Arnaud

Quote from: Manu on 18:41, 10 November 18
Your game is great, I think it deserved a better position. Nice work there!
Quote from: VincentGR on 16:24, 10 November 18
Fantastic!
Quote from: jesusdelmas on 16:05, 10 November 18

Thanks Arnaud!! your game its really good one one of my favourites ! did you put extra features in this last version? your game could have been perfectly the winner, my congrats.
Really thanks to us, i am very pleased to read it  :)
No extra features, correcting bugs (and big ones !) and especially balacing the game.
I'm interested with all feed-back about, difficulty, ideas, graphics...

Targhan

From the CPCRetroDev "main" thread:

QuoteI'm agree it's too much annoying. Maybe i should replace the slow down effect with a fight malus and a more important lose of life.
To the people who played with DW, what do you think about that ?

I think the main improvement would be to make the player understand WHY he is so slow. It took me a while to understand.
I see two things so that they don't complain anymore :) :
- When the player is getting slow, make the Food bar flickers (red/blue or whatever).
- Make the first room bigger and put 3 food items on the ground. When the player starts to move, he will think "it is slow!", but then after taking one food item, the character will go faster, and so on. At the end of the first room, the player will understand the relationship between food/speed.

But I like the role of the food, you should keep it.
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Arnaud

Quote from: Targhan on 19:40, 12 November 18
From the CPCRetroDev "main" thread:

I think the main improvement would be to make the player understand WHY he is so slow. It took me a while to understand.
I see two things so that they don't complain anymore :) :
- When the player is getting slow, make the Food bar flickers (red/blue or whatever).
- Make the first room bigger and put 3 food items on the ground. When the player starts to move, he will think "it is slow!", but then after taking one food item, the character will go faster, and so on. At the end of the first room, the player will understand the relationship between food/speed.

But I like the role of the food, you should keep it.
Good ideas.

Gryzor

Thanks for the entry :) looking forward to playing it. Until then: the loading screen is gorgeous and it looks lovely overall :)

Targhan

Went till level 9 this morning. Really enjoying it! I found new details: monsters can kill other monsters, and we can use lava to kill monsters efficiently! Very nice.
I died because of the cyclop in the forest. I used my hole regeneration to kill him, and couldn't!! Damn beast.

I think I found a few bugs (I did use the latest version):
- You should use a ON BREAK CONT in the intro :).
- In the shop, I couldn't buy anything except armor, even though I had enough money to buy potions.
- Still in the shop, move down will select the "exit" button. But moving down once more make a "square" appear on the screen.
- I got poisoned when fighting with the cyclop. I died, so started all over again in level 1. But I was still poisoned!

Anyway, great game!
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Arnaud

Quote from: Targhan on 12:39, 17 November 18- Still in the shop, move down will select the "exit" button. But moving down once more make a "square" appear on the screen.
- I got poisoned when fighting with the cyclop. I died, so started all over again in level 1. But I was still poisoned!
Well seen, fixed  :)

Quote from: Targhan on 12:39, 17 November 18- In the shop, I couldn't buy anything except armor, even though I had enough money to buy potions.
Not reproduced, can you explain how you encountered this bug ? In the first level ?

Quote from: Targhan on 12:39, 17 November 18Went till level 9 this morning. Really enjoying it! I found new details: monsters can kill other monsters, and we can use lava to kill monsters efficiently! Very nice.
I died because of the cyclop in the forest. I used my hole regeneration to kill him, and couldn't!! Damn beast.
Yet 16 levels to complete  :D

Quote from: Targhan on 12:39, 17 November 18
Anyway, great game!
Thanks !

Targhan

QuoteNot reproduced, can you explain how you encountered this bug ? In the first level ?
No, I could buy stuff on the first level. On level 4, I could buy the amour, but not the potions or anything afterwards. I reproduced it. I suspect it is triggered by the "down twice" bug. I made another game, resisted to "go down twice", and it didn't appear.

I however found a critical bug, I hope you'll be able to reproduced. It crashed twice on level 6. You first go the bottom left (having the Warlock destroy a bit of the landscape), enter the teleporter. You appear on the top right corner. I went down, and it crashed here. The game froze. The second time, there was with a few line of gibberish on the screen. I was "swimming" of the tiles on the top left. Hope you can fix that, it ruined my evening :) .
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Arnaud

Quote from: Targhan on 22:47, 20 November 18
I however found a critical bug, I hope you'll be able to reproduced. It crashed twice on level 6. You first go the bottom left (having the Warlock destroy a bit of the landscape), enter the teleporter. You appear on the top right corner. I went down, and it crashed here. The game froze. The second time, there was with a few line of gibberish on the screen. I was "swimming" of the tiles on the top left. Hope you can fix that, it ruined my evening :) .
Is in this level ?

Targhan

Yes exactly. On the last crash, my character was 3 tiles down, one left (in the water). On the first crash, I was a bit downwards, on solid ground.
Using a real CPC (6128; no extensions), I couldn't obviously save a snapshot...
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Arnaud

Hello,
here a new version (ver a) :
- Hunger has now an icon like power-up or poison, it reduces attack power instead of slow down move
- Breakable tiles have an impact on them when hit
- All bonus/malus are correctly reset on new game
- Shop forbidden move on exit icon fixed
- Add animation on intro screen
- Include the latest Arkos2 player alpha4
- Solve random crash problem (SP was overwriting code as usual  :D takes time to resolve)

Good game  :)

Arnaud

@Xyphoe I saw your live stream and once again DW crashes  :'( (but now it's fixed with the latest version)  and you never used potion.

For all players : you can use potion with 2nd button or with keys from 1 to 4.
It's impossible to finish game without them  ;)

Targhan

Arrgg!! Reached level 18!! But died... Probably because of a few bugs :). But it's much better now! Great job!

- The spikes don't have animation anymore?
- This is probably not a bug, but you can't have more than one Resurrection ring.
- When resurrecting, the hunger and poisonous states are not reset. So I couldn't beat all these monsters like I should have...
- When the game is over, the keys are not reset too.

Apart from that, it's even a better game than before. I'll wait for the next version eagerly :).

Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Arnaud

Quote from: Targhan on 13:27, 25 November 18
Arrgg!! Reached level 18!! But died... Probably because of a few bugs :) . But it's much better now! Great job!

Thanks, and thanks for testing you really help me  :)

- The spikes don't have animation anymore?
Effectively one animation is missing   :o

- This is probably not a bug, but you can't have more than one Resurrection ring.
Yes only one magical item

- When resurrecting, the hunger and poisonous states are not reset. So I couldn't beat all these monsters like I should have...
- When the game is over, the keys are not reset too.
Yes and yes to be fixed.

Quote from: Targhan on 13:27, 25 November 18
Apart from that, it's even a better game than before. I'll wait for the next version eagerly :) .
It should be not too long.

Targhan

One small addition:
- On level 6, the teleporter at the bottom left transports you to the top right. The teleporter at the top right brings you back to the bottom left, BUT, at the right of the teleporter, making the player cornered between the walls and the teleporter. Nothing problematic, except that the player can not go back to the beginning of the level.
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Targhan

Oh, and a suggestion, isn't it possible to be able to buy an apple in the store? :) You would simply eat it directly, no need to put it in your inventory if it's simpler for you.
This might be ridiculous, but I really died because of hunger. I had all the potions and great gear, but I was too weak because of the food. But if it's too complicated, don't do it!

Or maybe being able to store the "food" potion in the inventory instead of using it directly?
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Arnaud

Hello,
here Deeper Warren version B.
This time no more crashing bug to fix, finally !

- Correct missing tile animation frame
- Magical effect of object is correctly replaced when new magical object is equipped
- On death, reset bonus state correctly and clear keys
- Reworking some levels
- In shop, add food and throwing daggers

Seems to look like a final version  :D