News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Eternal Light 2 - done!

Started by Morri, 02:57, 27 September 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Morri

Same emulator (winape), same browser (firefox), same download. Only difference is laptop version of dsk image is unzipped while desktop version is zipped. I have access to the desktop today (work computer) so I'll do some more experiments today.
Keeping it Kiwi since 1977

arnoldemu

Quote from: Morri on 17:47, 12 October 14
Same emulator (winape), same browser (firefox), same download. Only difference is laptop version of dsk image is unzipped while desktop version is zipped. I have access to the desktop today (work computer) so I'll do some more experiments today.
Interesting.
Could you unzip the other and diff it against the other?

fc /b from dos, or use winmerge or similar.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Morri

I've compiled the file on my work computer as well and that is now also working fine. To be sure I tried compiling the source code in 2 different ways that Sprites Alive offers and they both work OK now. This has me totally stuffed as to what is going on. I'm going to assume it was bad coding on my part (very VERY likely... ;) ) as I had the issue - disabled animations - tidied up some code further down - enabled animations before discovering it was working again. Perhaps I inadvertently fixed some conflict without realising??? I was working on platform detection not item detection in between but who knows.  ??? ;D ;D ;D
End result - I'm happy az for now and will soldier on.

For an update on my overall progress - I have designed a start screen with scrolly text (I used axelays routine in the end as it was FABACOM compiler friendly. My version would pause half way through words and was generally terrible, reinforcing my bad coding theory).
I have my main sprite moving, collecting items, moving up and down platforms and the ability to plummet to his death.
Next on the agenda is flying enemies and a fireball spiting enemy. After that it's level design which I am dreading.

AMSDOS

Sounds like the Zip file might of been the culprit, but sometimes having multiple Computers results in Multiple copies of your programs being mixed up, so you might get something with your latest code on it, but it was in the file which had some earlier bugs which were quickly sorted out, I was caught out with that since I don't like Deleting in case I've deleted something I shouldn't have.

@Gryzor - not saying the Wiki is faulty because I've had trouble on other sites (and FTP sites) and I was having Difficulty Uploading/Download Images/Attachments from my Web Browser (Safari). However the problems don't seem to be present when I'm using Google Chrome.

* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

AMSDOS

I've been some digging around and came across this Screen Scroller which lets you specify the Starting Line to Scroll, Number of Lines to Scroll & the Width of the Scroll Area, but I'm not sure if it's suitable for Text Scrolling, I'm not even sure if it scrolls across the screen, down the screen or both. I just thought it seemed useful you could specify where you wanted it to scroll and it saves it out to a file & just needing a call to initiate it. Doesn't say how to stop it though or it might need to be called from within a loop I suspect.

Your Computer Programs

Morri

I have made good progress with the main game which is now pretty much finished.
It is a very quick game to play and finish once mastered (I can beat the game in like 2 - 3 mins) but I've really enjoyed playing / testing it because I added a speed run timer to play for the quickest time and I fell this has actually added replayability.

The first version of the game is attached below. I say first version because I'll probably have to fix bugs as they arise. The source code is included for anyone who would like a look or make their own changes. The source file is "ETERNAL2.SRC"

I also have a few more features I would like to add but don't have the skills for.

• I have drawn a startup screen, with scrolly message. But my skills are so basic that I was wondering if anyone had a picture they had that might suit the game better.
  • I have tried to add in game music to the game. However, I can't seem to do it using the sprites alive compiler. Would anyone be willing to have a look at the source code and see if they can figure out how to add music.
I don't mind if no one can do any of the above. Just thought I would ask.

Cheers,

Xifos

It's a very good game.
Only reached level 6.
;)

Gryzor

This looks cute, but what are the controls?

Morri

Quote from: Xifos on 10:15, 08 November 14
It's a very good game.
Only reached level 6.
;)

Thanks, you almost made it as there are only the 6 levels (so far!) I found the best thing being how to finish the game as fast as possible. I'll post my highscore (or are speedruns low scores  8) ) once people complete it and start figuring out how to speedrun.

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:54, 08 November 14
This looks cute, but what are the controls?
It is controlled by the Joystick only. If you're using an emulator than you use the function keys.
Left and Right only and the fire button controls the platforms.

@Gryzor - I couldn't figure out how to change the title. Could you please change it to something to show the game is finished and available for DL.

Cheers,

Gryzor

Ok, will try again :)

renamed it for you - you must edit the very first post and change its title.

Morri

Ah, makes sense. Thanks. I will add the DSK file to the first post so it doesn't get lost in all the new posts as they crop up.

Morri

Just curious if anyone has managed to finish the game with a quick time. I'm interested to see if anyone has beaten my best time yet. :)
Spoiler: ShowHide
2881  8)

AMSDOS

Quote from: Morri on 02:46, 10 November 14
Just curious if anyone has managed to finish the game with a quick time. I'm interested to see if anyone has beaten my best time yet. :)

I thought the idea with that was to just sit around and watch your score increase.  ;D

Your Computer Programs

Morri

hehe, someone didn't read the scrolly  :P
FYI, let the game run to 9999 and see what happens  ::)

AMSDOS

Quote from: Morri on 03:16, 10 November 14
hehe, someone didn't read the scrolly  :P

I tried to, but it was a bit jumpy (if you know what I mean), but not the worst scroller I've ever seen.

FYI, let the game run to 9999 and see what happens  ::)

Yeah well, I was dying long before getting to that number. Timing seems to be critical in the level where you have to make your man jump from the top of the screen to the bottom with all those flame throwers blasting at you.  :D

Your Computer Programs

Morri

Quote from: AMSDOS on 03:23, 10 November 14

I tried to, but it was a bit jumpy (if you know what I mean), but not the worst scroller I've ever seen.

hehe, now you can see why I asked for help. Not my speciality at all.  ;) But it does the job. You can always just press ESC twice and just read the data statements.  :laugh:

Quote from: AMSDOS on 03:23, 10 November 14

Yeah well, I was dying long before getting to that number. Timing seems to be critical in the level where you have to make your man jump from the top of the screen to the bottom with all those flame throwers blasting at you.  :D
You'll have to blame my 12 year old daughter who draw the levels for me. She drew up the levels and then I tried to make them progressively harder for each level by making timing an important part. Wait till level 6. You may want to hurt me.  :P :laugh:

AMSDOS

Quote from: Morri on 03:33, 10 November 14
hehe, now you can see why I asked for help. Not my speciality at all.  ;) But it does the job. You can always just press ESC twice and just read the data statements.  :laugh:

In ETERNALl2.BAS file where you've got your Scroll Routine, there's 2 FOR commands followed by a MOVE command. I put 4 x CALL &BD19's which improved the scroll after that MOVE command.

Not sure how many BASIC 1.1 commands you've got in there, but I tried it on my 464 emulator and got Syntax Error in Line 8, replace GRAPHICS PEN 15 with PLOT -2,-2,15 and it should be slightly more 464 Friendly.

You'll have to blame my 12 year old daughter who draw the levels for me. She drew up the levels and then I tried to make them progressively harder for each level by making timing an important part. Wait till level 6. You may want to hurt me.  :P :laugh:

I got past the Cannon Ball alley, but the following level has a Bat you have to quickly avoid (somehow) to get to the other lantern, guess I have to get that one first instead of last?  :D

Your Computer Programs

Morri

Actually, talking about compatibility, has anyone tried this on real hardware yet? Does it work Ok?

Morri

Thanks, I've changed my file and have attached below. Nothing changed except the more 464 friendly code.

I've also shaved my speedrun time.

Xifos

I completed the game, but my score was around 4000...

I'm too old to be quick now...
:(

AMSDOS

Quote from: Morri on 07:09, 10 November 14
Actually, talking about compatibility, has anyone tried this on real hardware yet? Does it work Ok?

No, is it 128k?

Your Computer Programs

Morri

I don't think it is. The Sprites Alive compiler manual mentions nothing about extra memory. I had to fit everything into a certain amount of kb, 23kb rings a bell (including the graphics). In the end I ended up with about 5 kb left over.

AMSDOS

Quote from: Morri on 03:05, 11 November 14
I don't think it is. The Sprites Alive compiler manual mentions nothing about extra memory. I had to fit everything into a certain amount of kb, 23kb rings a bell (including the graphics). In the end I ended up with about 5 kb left over.

It should work on the real machines because the problem earlier (with The Eternal Light), was the block event pointing to some code to Disable Interrupts causing the real machine to crazy when OUT &7F00,&C4 was being carried out.

I had a look at the scroll program I mentioned earlier in this thread and eventually I wrote something to scroll text across the screen, but the program I mentioned is very fiddly to use even though it asks some questions about where to position the scroll and the scroll is a bit scrappy for text, probably better for graphics.

Your Computer Programs

CraigsBar

Quote from: AMSDOS on 04:30, 11 November 14

It should work on the real machines because the problem earlier (with The Eternal Light), was the block event pointing to some code to Disable Interrupts causing the real machine to crazy when OUT &7F00,&C4 was being carried out.

I had a look at the scroll program I mentioned earlier in this thread and eventually I wrote something to scroll text across the screen, but the program I mentioned is very fiddly to use even though it asks some questions about where to position the scroll and the scroll is a bit scrappy for text, probably better for graphics.

Tested on my 464plus and it works just fine.... except the overscan on some of the screens is pushed a little too far to the left and as such misses letters or characters from the left.

Otherwise a quite enjoyable little platform/puzzler. Nice work :)
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Morri

I'm going to have another go at putting in-game music on this thing over the weekend. I had a quick go last week using Starkos but the best I could manage was a single tone that slightly increased in volume until it cut out and would start again increasing in volume. The game froze on that spot it was called and wouldn't progress any further. I was using a starkos tune which played fine from BASIC. I also tried the different types of players (basic, asm and interrupt) but nothing made any difference.

Does anyone have any idea which music creator would be the best chance of working?
The sprites alive compiler has the ability to load in files using a load command. There is a CALL command which can only have one parameter (ie You can't have CALL &4000,&5000 that Starkos requires) and there are POKE and PEEK commands available.
I have around 5kb of space left which I assume would be for the music and player.

I also think that Sprites alive disables interrupts but I'm not 100% sure on this.

Any suggestions?