News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

First forced side-scrolling arcade game finally on Amstrad CPC 464 ... or not

Started by PuzCPC, 10:00, 16 September 18

Previous topic - Next topic

PuzCPC

Hi everyone,

After 31 years it's time to learn Z80 assembler and my first goal is to make this game finally for CPC, but it's the problem here.
I don't know how to make music and sound efects from original game. Any help will be very welcome.

I have been working for almost three months on this project.
It's almost everything done except colission detection and of course no sounds and music.

Cheers, PuzCPC

mr_lou

Welcome to the forum!

We have quite a few musicians here actually. I'm one of them, sadly not with a whole lot of time though.
Tell more about what style and such you're after. Chances are some of us already have tracks lying around that can be used.

PuzCPC

It's actually conversion from the Arcade machine.
I think everybody knows that game here on CPCwiki. :)

Here are some screenshots from WinApe.

PuzCPC

mr_lou

Looks awesome.
I've always wanted a proper Scramble clone for the CPC. The topic has been discussed previously though, where the experts said the CPC couldn't perform a smooth scroll in such a slow speed. That's why existing clones scroll by too fast.

Anyway, I'm gonna tag @McKlain and @SuTeKH/Epyteor here who are both experts in reproducing audio from existing games onto the CPC. One of them might be interested in creating the audio for your Scramble game.

AMSDOS

I made a small program a few years ago that should suit the scrolling in that sort of game. In my example it's a person in the centre of the screen, Space is pressed which moves the ground underneath. It's using Firmware though along with CTRC 3 to smooth out the process.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Targhan

It depends, are you asking for the tools to make the music/sfx, or also the musician to adapt them?

As for the tools, you can check Arkos Tracker 2 in my signature. Yes, this is a shameless plug, I am the developer of the software :). But you'll be able to create both music and sound effects with it.
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Targhan

Actually, after checking the Arcade game, this is not a completely trivial task. The music is not the problem (only one small jingle, right?).
But there a lot of long, looping sound effects, meaning that a priority system should be implemented. You should have to build this over the existing solution (whether you choose Arkos Tracker 2 or anything else). Not very hard to do, but it has to be done nonetheless.
The bomb noise is a bit problematic, because it is a long sliding down noise. Arkos Tracker 2 fxs are not supposed to be that long. One solution would simply to loop one frame of noise and decrease its frequency every frame, and reset it when a new bomb is dropped.

Plus: there seems to be more than 3 channels (maybe 3 + 1 noise?). This will also be a bit problematic.

Anyway, if you want me to implement all this, you can ask me. If the sounds are like in the arcade, I can do that quickly.
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

VincentGR

Dear Lord!!!!  :o :o :o

I want this 30 years now while spamming about it here many times.

PuzCPC

Yes, I agree with experts horizontal 1px scroll, 50FPS and big playfield it's imposible on CPC.
Maybe not for Rhino :)

My "scrolling" is 2px and 25FPS (If am right. Main game loop is less than 39000 T-states).
Is the same slow speed as in the original but not so smooth.

I know your tool Targhan and it was my first choice to make music/sfx for my game.
It's amazing what kind of music can you squeeze out of it.
I installed and tried Arkos Tracker 1 but it's way too hard for me. :)

Now I think I also need a musician to create:
- music when the game starts
- in game music  ( I think only one instrument repeats itself )
- music when gas runs out
- sfx for bullet
- sfx for bomb
- sfx for explosion

If you have enough time, I would be very grateful if you did it for me.

VincentGR:
Me too. :)

Targhan

I can find the time do all this, but I'll have only time to adapt an existing in-game/out of fuel music (is there a Scramble clone I can get inspiration from?).
Anyway, please contact me via email: contact at julien-nevo dot com.
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

PuzCPC

Schneckenwerk

This my YouTube-Channel filled with music and entertainment.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyF8TeDMBPa86LEvBUwyoXg

Gryzor

PuzCPC

I had a out of memory problem.
I was changed complete scrolling code and levels editor two times.
But now, I think I'm on the right way.
Anyway I'm working on game. :)

Gryzor

Wait, as someone else commented, mode 1 with 6 colours?

Token

Carnivius

Quote from: Gryzor on 20:39, 07 November 18
Wait, as someone else commented, mode 1 with 6 colours?
You speak as if that surprises you yet so many CPC games do that. :P
This looks cool and I like the colours chosen too. Keep up the good work, sir PuzCPC
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Gryzor

Well, the top has two colours, white and yellow. Cool, so far. But below that you get yellow, magenta, black, red and that purple in the boxes. That's different! And on the high score page you get white, black, yellow, red, purple, light blue, dark blue, green and orange. What's the max colours a game has shown in mode 1 before?

andycadley

I think the colour split is happening just after those boxes at the top, there are 4 colours above it and 4 below (with some shared colours). As for the most, wasn't there an adventure game not so long ago that had some very tight colour splits to put a lot more colours on static Mode 1 screens?

Gryzor

No, if you also count the boxes area then you already have white, black, yellow, red, purple. So already above the limit :D

As for the adventure, my question should have been "max colours in an action game"...

PuzCPC

In game, colour split is happening for score then for boxes and one for the lower part of the screen.

I want colour split for the bottom where is the fuel bar but not work. To much flickering. :)
On the high score is a lot more splits also in the same line. :)
It's nothing new here I think. :)

Gryzor

Carnivius

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:33, 08 November 18
Well, the top has two colours, white and yellow. Cool, so far. But below that you get yellow, magenta, black, red and that purple in the boxes. That's different! And on the high score page you get white, black, yellow, red, purple, light blue, dark blue, green and orange. What's the max colours a game has shown in mode 1 before?
Games like Stryker in the Crypts of Trogan have a lot of colour on screen even on a regular CPC.   The Plus gets the fancy smooth sky gradients but the CPC still often has 6 colours in the main gameplay area (also more in the status panel) with three colours used for general graphics and then the fourth is switched from sky colour to green grass (for outside) and grey grass (for underground).   Switchblade on regular CPC also does a lot of colour switching in the status panels so there's actually 16 different colours on screen (if only 4 used in the gameplay area).   For a scrolling action game, ThunderCats has extra colours for it's background image at top (which helps add more parallax as that part doesn't move with the scrolling) so has 8 colours on screen.
Not sure what Mode 1 game has the most colours in just the gameplay area though. Will have to look about unless someone knows of any that does 16 straight away. :P
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

PuzCPC

Don't forget Ketih56 Chibi Akumas.
Thanks to his tutorials I understand how to programing in Asm.

Gryzor

Keith has given us some tremendous output - at some point I just gave up hope following his Patreon material...