News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

FutureOS corner

Started by TFM, 05:12, 01 October 10

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

Just checked the Cyber Chicken homepage... 90 physical copies sold. Never expected that!

Get your free "Space Chicken" for FutureOS here:
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/Space_Chicken.zip

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

Quote from: TFM on 18:49, 08 January 15
Hi! The cable works fine, but sadly the monitor displays a jerky picture when using the &85, &86 trick to move the pictures one MODE 2 character in X. (Or is it my code? Don't think so though). Guess I have to live with that.

Can somebody please confirm Giana running smooth on a real Amstrad CTM644?  :-*

I didn't look at much different stuff but anything else seems to be fine, including 50 Hz / 60 Hz.  :)

Your monitor is analogue with no processing in between. If it happens on the Sony, it happens on a CTM/GT.

Bryce.

TFM

Quote from: Bryce on 20:51, 09 January 15
Your monitor is analogue with no processing in between. If it happens on the Sony, it happens on a CTM/GT.

Bryce.

No it does not. Craig sent me a like to a video which shows the game on the CTM of the 6128 Plus (won't look different on CTM644 with CPC). There is definitely a difference between the two monitors. It's very obvious.
A potential cause could be that the Sony tries so synchronize by itself somehow.

But never mind I may get another monitor which I can use with you awesome cable now.  :)

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TFM

Ok, this is an important update, not the OS itself, but the Installer. The previous update hat couple of typos, so the installation didn't work.

Please use the new installer for FutureOS and tell me if it works or not:
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/FutureOS_System_.8_Preview!!!.zip

Thank you  :) :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft

00WReX

Hi TFM, the new installer worked perfectly on the MegaFlash.

I had only just tried the previous installer on the weekend and noticed if failed to install.
So I copied the ROM's to the original installer (for MegaFlash) and installed them that way.

The new installer is really good with the config option to customize the installation. Nice work.  :)

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

TFM

Thank you very much!  :) :) :)  If you miss anything else please let me know.  :) :) :)

EDIT: Just got confirmation that it also works with X-MEM and SST Flash Chip now.  :) :) :)

TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft

AMSDOS

Quote from: TFM on 00:52, 09 February 15
Great! Now they stole my Spartan idea!

Sounds like a Low ranking Roman Gladiator anyway!  :laugh: Wouldn't it be better if it were called "Biggus Dickus"?
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

CraigsBar

Quote from: AMSDOS on 09:02, 09 February 15

Sounds like a Low ranking Roman Gladiator anyway!  :laugh: Wouldn't it be better if it were called "Biggus Dickus"?
<snigger> "I have a vewwy good fwend in Wome called Biggus Dickus"
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

TFM

Well, Microsoft can call their crap BxxDxx or what ever. But in FutureOS the Spartan mode is called so for a reason. Of course I see a lack in knowledge of Greek history in these days - sadly. So... Patience...
TFM of FutureSoft

Bryce

That's a Spartan:

[attach=2]

(which could probably run FutureOS with the right core installed :) )

Bryce.

gerald

Quote from: TFM on 21:16, 09 February 15
Well, Microsoft can call their crap BxxDxx or what ever. But in FutureOS the Spartan mode is called so for a reason. Of course I see a lack in knowledge of Greek history in these days - sadly. So... Patience...
Lack of Monthy Python culture ....  ;)

Biggus Dickus - Monty Python's Life of Brian - YouTube

TFM

Quote from: Bryce on 21:31, 09 February 15
That's a Spartan:
(which could probably run FutureOS with the right core installed :) )

Maybe... meanwhile FutureOS already has the Spartan mode running.  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft

Bryce

Ahhhh! I sense a vortex that's about to tear my brain apart, the möbius strip of 8-bit emulation! Make it stop!!!

Bryce.

TFM

It's called eternity ... you will live forever! ... in 8 bit!  :P

EDIT: Ok, oversleeping this it may be needed to tell a story.

Once there was a time when Devilmarkus complained about too much icons on the FutureOS Desktop, and I complained about too much icons on the JavaCPC Desktop. I don't even remember who started it, but it was very eye-opening. Well, if someone develops something, then the person know more or less what's going on - a new user of course can be overwhelmed by a big number of icons. (This may be the reason why Windows and SymbOS have few icons in general, so even the not-so-smart user can deal with it). Now, this is a valid finding, the question remained: How to make things better. Devilmarkus suggested some ideas, and I decided to introduce the Spartan Mode.

Now, what is the Spartan mode doing?
- It shows only the necessary icons, this is connected drives, the IDE icon (also drives), the Monitor icon (to enter the machine monitor) and the END icon (to leave the OS or restart it).
- Now if the user selects a drive, then the DIR icon becomes visible
- If the DIR icon is used, then additional icons which deal with files become visible.
- In general is the area used by icons minimized, so it's more easy where to click at, and...
- A wall paper is move visible too.

Examples, see here:
Wallpaper - CPCWiki

TFM of FutureSoft

kilon

Quote from: TFM on 22:38, 09 February 15
It's called eternity ... you will live forever! ... in 8 bit!  :P

EDIT: Ok, oversleeping this it may be needed to tell a story.

Once there was a time when Devilmarkus complained about too much icons on the FutureOS Desktop, and I complained about too much icons on the JavaCPC Desktop. I don't even remember who started it, but it was very eye-opening. Well, if someone develops something, then the person know more or less what's going on - a new user of course can be overwhelmed by a big number of icons. (This may be the reason why Windows and SymbOS have few icons in general, so even the not-so-smart user can deal with it). Now, this is a valid finding, the question remained: How to make things better. Devilmarkus suggested some ideas, and I decided to introduce the Spartan Mode.

Now, what is the Spartan mode doing?
- It shows only the necessary icons, this is connected drives, the IDE icon (also drives), the Monitor icon (to enter the machine monitor) and the END icon (to leave the OS or restart it).
- Now if the user selects a drive, then the DIR icon becomes visible
- If the DIR icon is used, then additional icons which deal with files become visible.
- In general is the area used by icons minimized, so it's more easy where to click at, and...
- A wall paper is move visible too.

Examples, see here:
Wallpaper - CPCWiki

This is madness...

I love heavy icon based interfaces. My favorite example is Truespace

So it depends on the person and how you like to work. There are people like me that are very graphical orientated and they love icons and beautiful eye candy , other people prefer text like emacs and vim.

In the end you cant please everyone ;)

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

Hi there! Well, I don't want to derail Gerald's C4CPC thread completely. So let me ask here. Is there any interest in a English Cartridge (usable with C4CPC with any 6128 Plus) of the Plus version of FutureOS?

Further... Are you interested in having a custom character set?

Any suggestions, wishes? Let me know!  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

XyphoesRe

Hi. Nice to see that you are working on your Future Os also for the CPCplus series. But if you ask me, i don't need Future OS on the cartridge, as i use it mostly for gaming and sometimes for viewing a few demos. So i am personally not interested in an english cartridge and also see no need for custom character set. But maybe others are. Good luck and success with your plans.

CraigsBar

Quote from: TFM on 18:49, 08 April 15
Hi there! Well, I don't want to derail Gerald's C4CPC thread completely. So let me ask here. Is there any interest in a English Cartridge (usable with C4CPC with any 6128 Plus) of the Plus version of FutureOS?

Further... Are you interested in having a custom character set?

Any suggestions, wishes? Let me know!  :)
I'd take one. But don't put yourself out just for me. I have the roms in the x-mem anyway. I'd rather see ide support for symbiface and x-mass ;)
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

TFM

Quote from: XyphoesRe on 18:55, 08 April 15
Hi. Nice to see that you are working on your Future Os also for the CPCplus series. But if you ask me, i don't need Future OS on the cartridge, as i use it mostly for gaming and sometimes for viewing a few demos. So i am personally not interested in an english cartridge and also see no need for custom character set. But maybe others are. Good luck and success with your plans.

Thank's for your good wishes. Your mother language is German, the German cart is out there since quite a while.

Quote from: CraigsBar on 19:24, 08 April 15I'd take one. But don't put yourself out just for me. I have the roms in the x-mem anyway. I'd rather see ide support for symbiface and x-mass ;)

Well, 2-3 people more and it would make sense.
:)  I doubt the interest is that big though.
About IDE, small good things may come soon (like an sector monitor). But nothing worth to mention now.  :)

TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

Update: Got now all four FutureOS ROMs ready for 3 languages (Deutsch, English, Francais). So the Plus version will be there out soon.

Now I only need to integrate Spanish!

Any Volunteers for translations?
TFM of FutureSoft

XyphoesRe

wont it be more effective to have one ROM with all the language data in it and a kind of "switch" to switch language by software? As you can nowadays write the flash Roms on the fly, this will be the best way and wont need to build every rom again and again

TFM

That's a good idea in principle, but keeping texts of all different language would need at least one ROM more. As you told in these days Flash is abundant and everybody can afford a FlashCard I guess.

However the situation is not that the text is just "put" plain in the ROM, it's a little bit more tricky (yes, mainly to save space). In every new release the "texts" are not the main topic. Since I have to assemble all ROMs anyway it doesn't matter.

For a later stage (means supporting even more than a few languages) your ideas will turn out to be really an advantage. And then I gladly take your advice and put all texts together. At the moment I lack the time for that to be honest.

TFM of FutureSoft

robcfg

Is the text long? I can help with translation but it will take some tine as I'm quite busy right now.