News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

So how do you fit 7 characters into 40 x 8 pixels in basic...

Started by CraigsBar, 01:21, 06 November 17

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigsBar

My answer was cheat and use the symbol command. The result is still quite readable I think

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3t using Tapatalk

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Manu

Bryce

How about: "How do you scale a picture for a forum so that it's viewable?" :)

Bryce.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Bryce on 09:38, 06 November 17

Bryce.
I'll submit a bug request to OnePlus and Tapatalk. Unfortunately the camera in this phone cannot reduce the resolution. Imagine if I had the OnePlus 5 that has a 4k resolution ;)

pelrun

"Press Control to interrupt SymbOS" already fits in one line without any graphical trickery, so I'm confused.

CraigsBar

Quote from: pelrun on 10:17, 06 November 17
"Press Control to interrupt SymbOS" already fits in one line without any graphical trickery, so I'm confused.
It is however aesthetically displeasingly long.... A bit like "aesthetically displeasingly"

ThomH

Quote from: Bryce on 09:38, 06 November 17

Bryce.
It's another great thing to dangle in front of the revisionist 'CRTs have scanlines!' crowd though.

Otherwise: is this definitely a BASIC effect? If so then UDGs that work only in exactly that particular configuration?

khaz

Quote from: ThomH on 15:55, 08 November 17
It's another great thing to dangle in front of the revisionist 'CRTs have scanlines!' crowd though.

CRT do have scanlines. Slot masks CRTs however have thick scanlines that don't optically resolve. Trinitrons and Diamondtron (aperture grille) typically have thinner scanlines that leave a black line in between them, which many people find more pleasing.

ThomH

Quote from: khaz on 16:28, 08 November 17
CRT do have scanlines. Slot masks CRTs however have thick scanlines that don't optically resolve. Trinitrons and Diamondtron (aperture grille) typically have thinner scanlines that leave a black line in between them, which many people find more pleasing.
Sorry, I meant scanlines in the lazy sense as usually adopted to mean "I put some black lines on top, now it looks like a CRT!". Obviously all CRTs had a flying spot and a horizontal frequency that is a few hundred times the vertical frequency.

cpcitor

Reminds me of a hack Hewlett Packard added to the HP48 when they released model G/GX.

20 years ago I was wondering how they condensed the word "CANCEL" to fit in 19 pixels (yes, 2*8+3). In image below (emulated HP48G/GX), above the row of white keys, see rightmost item.

I was thinking perhaps they made the menu item an arbitrary bitmap (called GROB in that OS).

At the time already I have fairly advanced knowledge of the internals of this machine and could fetch the actual object being displayed there.
It's a plain string. Obviously they removed the E, then they simply replaced the letter C with opening parenthesis.

So, this technically spells "(AN(L". And that fits in 19 pixels with the small font supplied with the OS.

On the same row you can see a real C in "TRACE" and parentheses in "(X,Y)".

Back to CPC issue, perhaps showing "CONTROL" in color with custom characters just conveys the message "We're cool dudes and really have higher skills than other ROM makers"?  ;)
Had a CPC since 1985, currently software dev professional, including embedded systems.

I made in 2013 the first CPC cross-dev environment that auto-installs C compiler and tools: cpc-dev-tool-chain: a portable toolchain for C/ASM development targetting CPC, later forked into CPCTelera.

Sykobee (Briggsy)

But it's 'CTRL' on the CPC keyboard. And that's 4 characters. Also, to be totally pernickety, it's a green key, so you should stipple cyan and yellow (or change the boot palette).

CraigsBar

Quote from: Sykobee (Briggsy) on 16:31, 08 December 17
But it's 'CTRL' on the CPC keyboard. And that's 4 characters. Also, to be totally pernickety, it's a green key, so you should stipple cyan and yellow (or change the boot palette).
Since I run that on a 4128plus I think you'll find my colouring is pretty accurate [emoji6]