Author Topic: Kitsune's Curse (Development)  (Read 2650 times)

Offline Joseman

• 6128 Plus
  • Liked: 513
Re: Kitsune's Curse (Development)
« Reply #10 on: 01:34, 02 October 17 »
Good news! i read you on twitter all days.

BTW i'm playing Magica right now!!

Online reidrac

• Supporter
  • 464 Plus
  • Trying to gamedev!
    • index.php?action=treasury
    • usebox.net
  • Liked: 777
« Reply #11 on: 09:31, 02 October 17 »
Oh, now that we can embed Tweets here, let me share a video I shared last night!

Testing Kitsune's animation and few other things. Ignore the background graphics, I'm use Golden Tail tiles as placeholder.

As you can see Kitsune has shape-shifted. I'll explain later.

Offline Gryzor

• Administrator
  • 6128 Plus
  • CPC-Wiki maintainer
    • CPCWiki
  • Liked: 2402
« Reply #12 on: 17:03, 03 October 17 »
That's so damn cute, as always!

Online reidrac

• Supporter
  • 464 Plus
  • Trying to gamedev!
    • usebox.net
« Reply #13 on: 00:47, 06 October 17 »
Quick update!

I'm still testing the new tile/sprite engine and found another bug, but it should be stable soon.

This new video shows Kitsune's sprite and animation, still keeping part of the style I used in Golden Tail (it is the same character), but I think this one is better animated. Also it is closer to the human-fox thing I had in mind.

I've finished with the collision detection, way more efficient than the one in Golden Tail (although not as good as in Magica, but that's because Magica uses a different type of platforming anyway).

I've started with the kõga magic, and it currently works very similar to how it works in Golden Tail (you may not need to re-learn how to use it), but there's a small detail I don't like and I'll try to improve.

I'm still using Golden Tail as placeholder graphics for the background; and for now that's all!
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail and Magica for the CPC.

Online reidrac

• Supporter
  • 464 Plus
  • Trying to gamedev!
    • usebox.net
« Reply #14 on: 16:18, 07 October 17 »
I just had an idea to help people not understanding how the kõga magic works!

In this video Kitsune is visible when the magic is on.

The challenge, and the fun I think, is learning to control it when you don't see the character because he's invisible.

I'm considering a "practice" mode where you can do stunts in a single room and you'll be able to see Kitsune like this for part of the practice. I don't like tutorials like that, I prefer to teach the player just by playing the game and forcing the action just a bit more each screen; but I understand that some people can find it too hard and give up.

What do you think?

Offline khaz

• 464 Plus
  • Liked: 218
« Reply #15 on: 16:56, 07 October 17 »
How magic works is weird, in the fact that jumping and running appear to work differently:
if you run and disappear: you reappear further away
but only if you press both fire and jump at exactly the same time do you jump higher.

For example, it doesn't seem like you can input a jump command while being invisible, but you can start going left or right.
If you jump and then press the button, you will keep your original momentum and won't go higher, but you will still land further away if you were doing a long jump.

At first I thought it worked like a teleport, where if you press both a direction and the button simultaneously it would teleport you n pixels away in that direction. But even as you describe it, a mix of invincibility and bigger momentum, it doesn't match with the controls in game.

Online reidrac

• Supporter
  • 464 Plus
  • Trying to gamedev!
    • usebox.net
« Reply #16 on: 17:08, 07 October 17 »
How magic works is weird, in the fact that jumping and running appear to work differently:
if you run and disappear: you reappear further away
but only if you press both fire and jump at exactly the same time do you jump higher.

For example, it doesn't seem like you can input a jump command while being invisible, but you can start going left or right.
If you jump and then press the button, you will keep your original momentum and won't go higher, but you will still land further away if you were doing a long jump.

At first I thought it worked like a teleport, where if you press both a direction and the button simultaneously it would teleport you n pixels away in that direction. But even as you describe it, a mix of invincibility and bigger momentum, it doesn't match with the controls in game.

That's right, you can't jump when already invisible (I found it too uncontrollable because without visual queue is almost impossible jump at the right time).

Other than that, is as described... if you look at the video, when moving left-right you still walk (but he's be able to walk over water as part of being "invulnerable"), but in the case of jump you have to initiate the jump with the magic.

I need improve the instructions, but it is hard to explain!
« Last Edit: 17:10, 07 October 17 by reidrac »

Offline khaz

• 464 Plus
« Reply #17 on: 17:12, 07 October 17 »
That's right, you can't jump when already invisible.

Other than that, is as described... if you look at the video, when moving left-right you still walk (but he's be able to walk over water as part of being "invulnerable"), but in the case of jump you have to initiate the jump with the magic.

I need improve the instructions, but it is hard to explain!

It may be how you want it to be, but it still feels like broken gameplay. Sorry. There is no logical reason as to why you can't jump while invisible, or why your jump momentum can't be accelerated as well. It's only discoverable through trial and error, and used correctly after acceptance by the player.

Online reidrac

• Supporter
  • 464 Plus
  • Trying to gamedev!
    • usebox.net
« Reply #18 on: 17:23, 07 October 17 »
It may be how you want it to be, but it still feels like broken gameplay. Sorry. There is no logical reason as to why you can't jump while invisible, or why your jump momentum can't be accelerated as well. It's only discoverable through trial and error, and used correctly after acceptance by the player.

Do you think it would be better if you can jump invisible? How would you be able to control that? Golden Tail doesn't even force you to make the highest possible jump to progress (there's always a platform nearby to make thing easier); but if you learn to control that jump, the game is more fun as is a bit harder.

If jump is restricted to the start of the magic you can calculate where you want to jump. It takes practice, of course. Also the magic not only allows you to jump higher, it makes you fall slower. And you get that with practice.

But you're right, is has its special rules and part of the game is learning how to use it. For some people is frustrating and too hard, for other people it was a fun game and they enjoyed the learning process.

It's OK if you don't like it or if you don't find it fun; the game doesn't *click* with everybody and I'm OK with that. Is not an usual game, fair enough.

There are always arguments in one way or another, and no matter what I choose, there will always be someone that doesn't like it.

Offline khaz

• 464 Plus
« Reply #19 on: 17:26, 07 October 17 »
In regards to exposition to the controls through gameplay, I'm a big proponent of that. but the game may have been too difficult too quickly. There is no room to breathe, even in the first screens: in the first screen the skull traverse the whole area horizontally, the player has to be on edge to avoid it any time he's staying on that screen; the second screen have another skull storming right at the player with barely enough time to react (even less when it's the first playthrough ever). Falling down (is it a hole? is it a bridge) shouldn't be optional that early in the game if you want to educate the player that falling down isn't bad: it probably would have been better to have the screen on the right to be a dead end to force further exploration. In the first screen underground, you are very likely to fall directly on a monster, and there is a barely a place to breathe (I'm starting to see a pattern here). Only on the screen on the left of it, the dead end with a pool of water on the right, do you have time to actually hone your skills. And the one jump that matter ends up in the water if you do it wrong. This is unnecessarily harsh. You have plenty of time to implement trick jumps and delicate situations in later screens.

I'm sorry if I sound antagonising, I know it's not fun to receive criticism, especially on a finished product. I really like what you have done so far and I couldn't dream of doing anything remotely similar. I just believe you have the talent to make it "just a little bit better".