Author Topic: Kitsune's Curse (Development)  (Read 2649 times)

Offline ervin

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
    • index.php?action=treasury
  • Liked: 720
Re: Kitsune's Curse (Development)
« Reply #50 on: 11:44, 04 November 17 »
This is looking really promising.
I have to say - your pixel skills have come a long way as well. This is a very attractive game, even at this early stage!
My entry for the CPCRetroDev 2017 Competition http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/programming/my-cpcretrodev-2017-entry/
FAST line drawing in CPCtelera http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/programming/drawing-lines-with-cpctelera-sdcc/
RUNCPC My entry for the CPCRetroDev 2015 Competition http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=66566

Offline Gryzor

• Administrator
  • 6128 Plus
  • CPC-Wiki maintainer
    • CPCWiki
  • Liked: 2402
« Reply #51 on: 13:21, 04 November 17 »
Of course, with doors go keys :)

Looking better and better with each gif!

Online reidrac

• Supporter
  • 464 Plus
  • Trying to gamedev!
    • usebox.net
  • Liked: 777
« Reply #52 on: 00:15, 10 November 17 »
Quick update: moving platforms

At this point I think I have implemented the same functionality Golden Tail had; excluding enemies (I only have the "Oni head" for now).

I've been experimenting with the platform movement, but the best I can do is move 2 pixels every other frame, but it looks OK (doesn't it?). Definitely better than moving 1 pixel and having glitches derived of the 2 pixels per byte of mode 0.

Online reidrac

• Supporter
  • 464 Plus
  • Trying to gamedev!
    • usebox.net
« Reply #53 on: 17:04, 26 November 17 »
Small update!

This is fixing something few people commented after playing Golden Tail: Kitsune died with a *puff*, using the same effect of the Kõga Magic.

That was easy (and cheap), but it had a problem when you were reappearing from using the magic and you ended on top of spikes (this wasn't a problem with water, as there was a "splash" effect).

So the end result was two puffs, and I agree it was confusing. If you're on top of the action, you may not miss what killed you, but if things happen fast... then it may feel unfair.

Anyway, small change but I think it improves things quite a lot.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail and Magica for the CPC.

Online reidrac

• Supporter
  • 464 Plus
  • Trying to gamedev!
    • usebox.net
« Reply #54 on: 11:57, 03 December 17 »
Update time!

After I got a draft of the back story I've working on the graphics, and it is hard!

One tip I got in gamedev few years ago was that you don't make the story and then the graphics; you make the best graphics you can come up with and then write the story so it fits.

This tileset is for the Sensō-ji temple (hopefully) where you'll have to steal one of the relics (the magic fan; although all is magic here I guess).

Anyway, slow progress is progress!

Online reidrac

• Supporter
  • 464 Plus
  • Trying to gamedev!
    • usebox.net
« Reply #55 on: 00:13, 12 December 17 »
I'm back at it!

I've improved the tileset and I think I'm happy with it now. I'm working on a new enemy type: monks (for the temple).

At this point it is quite basic, and I'm struggling a bit to get the animation right. Because pixel alignment to the byte in mode 0 they look best when moving at 2 pixels per update, but then they move at the same speed as the player and... looks like they run!

I'm also undecided on their behavior. I've started with a basic "patrol" movement, but they may do something else (jump small gaps in the screen? flying kick? I don't know yet!).

EDIT: there was a bug!

Also, now I thing I got the right speed for the monks.

« Last Edit: 01:10, 12 December 17 by reidrac »

Offline ervin

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • Liked: 720
« Reply #56 on: 00:26, 12 December 17 »
I'm back at it!

I've improved the tileset and I think I'm happy with it now. I'm working on a new enemy type: monks (for the temple).

At this point it is quite basic, and I'm struggling a bit to get the animation right. Because pixel alignment to the byte in mode 0 they look best when moving at 2 pixels per update, but then they move at the same speed as the player and... looks like they run!

I'm also undecided on their behavior. I've started with a basic "patrol" movement, but they may do something else (jump small gaps in the screen? flying kick? I don't know yet!).

I really enjoy reading these updates. They give a very interesting insight into the development process.
The game is looking great so far, by the way.
My entry for the CPCRetroDev 2017 Competition http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/programming/my-cpcretrodev-2017-entry/
FAST line drawing in CPCtelera http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/programming/drawing-lines-with-cpctelera-sdcc/
RUNCPC My entry for the CPCRetroDev 2015 Competition http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=66566

Offline Gryzor

• Administrator
  • 6128 Plus
  • CPC-Wiki maintainer
    • CPCWiki
  • Liked: 2402
« Reply #57 on: 07:46, 12 December 17 »
I agree, it's quite interesting :)

I don't see what the problem with running monks is, apart from upping the difficulty?

Online reidrac

• Supporter
  • 464 Plus
  • Trying to gamedev!
    • usebox.net
« Reply #58 on: 09:05, 12 December 17 »
I agree, it's quite interesting :)

I don't see what the problem with running monks is, apart from upping the difficulty?

Yes, it'd be quite hard.

Half speed is better I think. Other enemies will be faster, like the Oni Heads. But the heads can be avoided jumping or ducking, whilst the monks require magic.

Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying the updates.