News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Magica (Development)

Started by reidrac, 16:16, 24 September 16

Previous topic - Next topic

reidrac

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 22:01, 08 October 16
Great! If you like to send it to me to be tried in a 464 Plus upgraded to a 6128 Plus with the original CRT, just tell me  :)

Thanks, but I can't make the game public until the end of the competition.

After that it is possible I make a revision before the public release. If that's the case, I may get beta testers. I take note of your offer!
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

||C|-|E||

Sure!  :) I did not read the rules of this year´s contest and I was assuming that external testing was allowed if the game is not released to the general public  :)

Arnaud

Quote from: reidrac on 21:17, 08 October 16
Two weeks plus 3 days until the deadline!

Good luck for the last days of hard work and for other competitors.

reidrac

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 23:58, 08 October 16
Sure!  :) I did not read the rules of this year´s contest and I was assuming that external testing was allowed if the game is not released to the general public  :)

The rules aren't perfect; it is unclear what is allowed and what not and the organisation didn't clarify things to be honest (and they could, easily). I still have doubts if it is worth submitting the game or no just because of this.

You asked for a beta publicly but some other people may keep it secret; and then the rules are unfair because the entries that had external testing have an advantage over the ones that didn't have that.

Some people really believe that sharing screenshots and videos could disqualify an entry, and that's a weird interpretation of the rules; but there you are.

Hopefully the organisation will listen to the feedback and next year the rules are crystal clear, otherwise this may be my last entry.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Looks great :-)

I think the issue with the in-game tune is that it's a little loud compared to the effects?

I like that some enemies are tougher to stun, or can go through walls...

Look forward to seeing the new enemies and their special ability. Apart from that, the only thing I could think of is a BONUS collection thing like BB.

reidrac

Quote from: Sykobee (Briggsy) on 15:37, 09 October 16
Looks great :-)

I think the issue with the in-game tune is that it's a little loud compared to the effects?

I like that some enemies are tougher to stun, or can go through walls...

Look forward to seeing the new enemies and their special ability. Apart from that, the only thing I could think of is a BONUS collection thing like BB.

Well spotted! That video was a test, I've adjusted the volumes and now I think is perfect.

At very least I'd like to add a "time up" bonus; that could add a nice touch to the gameplay. But again: 64K!

EgoTrip

Looking good, although I think you are pushing the limits of the rules by getting public feedback.

reidrac

Quote from: EgoTrip on 17:44, 09 October 16
Looking good, although I think you are pushing the limits of the rules by getting public feedback.

What is that? Can you point out which rule forbids that?

I haven't released the game, nobody has played it and is not public.

Sykobee (Briggsy)

I'd say that forum-based updates and feedback are an extremely important part in motivating a retro game developer to continue.

To not allow a game in based on that would be ridiculous.

To be honest, I extend that to a small circle of playtesters. Game development without playtesters I guess is quite a retro idea in itself, but c'mon!

It may be pandering to a certain retro development methodology based around releases at scene parties, but that in itself would advantage the solo C64 devs!

reidrac

Quote from: Sykobee (Briggsy) on 18:23, 09 October 16
I'd say that forum-based updates and feedback are an extremely important part in motivating a retro game developer to continue.

To not allow a game in based on that would be ridiculous.

To be honest, I extend that to a small circle of playtesters. Game development without playtesters I guess is quite a retro idea in itself, but c'mon!

It may be pandering to a certain retro development methodology based around releases at scene parties, but that in itself would advantage the solo C64 devs!

I've never released any public or private version of the game; only screenshots and videos, which is OK with the rules as the organisers have confirmed in private.

I wish they could stop all this FUD by just making a public statement on the contest website so we can move on and stop wasting time with things that don't help promoting the CPC.

EgoTrip

Well there's nothing explicit in the rules but I vaguely recall Ronaldo saying something along these lines, but I could be mistaken. Apologies if I am. I purposely kept my entry quiet incase I broke any rules regarding making it public. Not that it would win anything, your game looks way superior to mine.

reidrac

Quote from: EgoTrip on 18:46, 09 October 16
Well there's nothing explicit in the rules but I vaguely recall Ronaldo saying something along these lines, but I could be mistaken. Apologies if I am. I purposely kept my entry quiet incase I broke any rules regarding making it public. Not that it would win anything, your game looks way superior to mine.

No need to apology; but I don't appreciate you keep spreading FUD about this if you don't really know if there's a problem or not.

I've asked the organisers to clarify this; otherwise it doesn't make sense continuing with the development of the game.

EgoTrip

Just finish it. You've gone this far, it would be pointless not to enter it.

||C|-|E||

Quote from: reidrac on 18:50, 09 October 16
No need to apology; but I don't appreciate you keep spreading FUD about this if you don't really know if there's a problem or not.

I've asked the organisers to clarify this; otherwise it doesn't make sense continuing with the development of the game.

The development of the game will always make sense, regardless of it entering a competition or not  :)

reidrac

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 21:19, 09 October 16
The development of the game will always make sense, regardless of it entering a competition or not  :)

You're absolutely right! I was thinking of deadlines; not entering the competition has some benefits ;)

Magica won't be submitted to the competition. This is final and I won't elaborate on the reasons, so please don't ask because you'll be politely ignored.

Anyway, the game will be released eventually (sooner rather than later), but obviously I'm not going to force myself to put extra time on the game in the next two weeks, and I may ask for help at some point to test the game, etc.

I'll keep updating this thread.

reidrac

Quick update!

I think I have finished with the enemies, at least for now. I have jesters, demons, knights, goblins, wizards, witches, ghosts and fairies; each one with unique properties.

The fairies are special; you don't need to kill them to complete the stage because they don't drop a potion. Fairies drop a sand clock that will give you extra time.

Because the clock won't go over 60 secs, it adds strategy to some stages that may need more time to be completed. For example you may want to wait to kill the fairy and get most from the extra time.

I may go back to add enemies when I finish the level design and the menu music; in case I have enough bytes left to add another enemy.

Level design looks challenging. I have already some ideas of stage layout and enemy placement, but if I manage to get to +50 levels, ordering them so difficulty is progressive is going to be a pain.

On top of that I still need the loading screen and the intro; but those are less tricky because I have plenty of memory for them.

Progressing nicely!

reidrac

Another update!

I've started with the level design, and it is really stressful seeing the memory go down; but it is worth it I think. 30 stages so far, I was aiming to 50 but I'm not sure.

[attachimg=1]

I've been playing with the time and the time bonus (the fairies) and I still don't know exactly how it will work at the end. It's about getting the difficulty right.

genesis8

I am a definite fan of the return of traxtor, and waiting for Magica.

I just made a news about Magica yesterday, but can I add your screenshots for the news ?

reidrac

Quote from: genesis8 on 09:30, 19 October 16
I am a definite fan of the return of traxtor, and waiting for Magica.

I just made a news about Magica yesterday, but can I add your screenshots for the news ?

Of course you can!

||C|-|E||

You need to go for a 128KB version with plenty of levels and make the 64KB one a multi-load game. First 50 levels in one side of the tape and the rest on the other, "protected" by a password  :D

reidrac

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 16:08, 19 October 16
You need to go for a 128KB version with plenty of levels and make the 64KB one a multi-load game. First 50 levels in one side of the tape and the rest on the other, "protected" by a password  :D

I was thinking more of 128K for... two players; but is soon to tell because I may not be able to move that many sprites smooth enough.

menegator

It really looks great!

VincentGR

Oh, two players will be great!

reidrac

Yet another update!

Things are looking good! I finally managed to get 50 screens and only the music for the menu is left and I have around 1K free, so I think everything will fit.

I enjoy level design, but this time was harder than when I was working on Golden Tail. 50 screens are lots of screens!

I've spent some time making more improvements to the engine and the entity system. For example the entity system is way more flexible now that it was when I programmed Golden Tail, and the engine doesn't have any C code left.

It is still quite difficult to move everything quick enough all the time, but the few bits where there's some slow down are minimal (eg, when you kick a lot of enemies at the same time). It plays smooth most of the time, specially in the real hardware (again, this is because problems with my setup and emulators unfortunately).

I'm getting close to have a beta! To do: music for the menu, loading screen and intro.

||C|-|E||