Author Topic: Magica (Development)  (Read 3394 times)

Offline reidrac

• Supporter
  • 464 Plus
  • Trying to gamedev!
    • index.php?action=treasury
    • usebox.net
  • Liked: 628
Re: Magica (Development)
« Reply #30 on: 17:50, 09 October 16 »
Looks great :-)

I think the issue with the in-game tune is that it's a little loud compared to the effects?

I like that some enemies are tougher to stun, or can go through walls...

Look forward to seeing the new enemies and their special ability. Apart from that, the only thing I could think of is a BONUS collection thing like BB.

Well spotted! That video was a test, I've adjusted the volumes and now I think is perfect.

At very least I'd like to add a "time up" bonus; that could add a nice touch to the gameplay. But again: 64K!
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail and Magica for the CPC.

Offline EgoTrip

• 6128 Plus
    • http://egochip.blogspot.co.uk/
  • Liked: 595
« Reply #31 on: 19:44, 09 October 16 »
Looking good, although I think you are pushing the limits of the rules by getting public feedback.

Offline reidrac

• Supporter
  • 464 Plus
  • Trying to gamedev!
    • usebox.net
« Reply #32 on: 19:52, 09 October 16 »
Looking good, although I think you are pushing the limits of the rules by getting public feedback.

What is that? Can you point out which rule forbids that?

I haven't released the game, nobody has played it and is not public.

Offline Sykobee (Briggsy)

• 6128 Plus
  • Liked: 153
« Reply #33 on: 20:23, 09 October 16 »
I'd say that forum-based updates and feedback are an extremely important part in motivating a retro game developer to continue.

To not allow a game in based on that would be ridiculous.

To be honest, I extend that to a small circle of playtesters. Game development without playtesters I guess is quite a retro idea in itself, but c'mon!

It may be pandering to a certain retro development methodology based around releases at scene parties, but that in itself would advantage the solo C64 devs!

Offline reidrac

• Supporter
  • 464 Plus
  • Trying to gamedev!
    • usebox.net
« Reply #34 on: 20:37, 09 October 16 »
I'd say that forum-based updates and feedback are an extremely important part in motivating a retro game developer to continue.

To not allow a game in based on that would be ridiculous.

To be honest, I extend that to a small circle of playtesters. Game development without playtesters I guess is quite a retro idea in itself, but c'mon!

It may be pandering to a certain retro development methodology based around releases at scene parties, but that in itself would advantage the solo C64 devs!

I've never released any public or private version of the game; only screenshots and videos, which is OK with the rules as the organisers have confirmed in private.

I wish they could stop all this FUD by just making a public statement on the contest website so we can move on and stop wasting time with things that don't help promoting the CPC.

Offline EgoTrip

• 6128 Plus
« Reply #35 on: 20:46, 09 October 16 »
Well there's nothing explicit in the rules but I vaguely recall Ronaldo saying something along these lines, but I could be mistaken. Apologies if I am. I purposely kept my entry quiet incase I broke any rules regarding making it public. Not that it would win anything, your game looks way superior to mine.

Offline reidrac

• Supporter
  • 464 Plus
  • Trying to gamedev!
    • usebox.net
« Reply #36 on: 20:50, 09 October 16 »
Well there's nothing explicit in the rules but I vaguely recall Ronaldo saying something along these lines, but I could be mistaken. Apologies if I am. I purposely kept my entry quiet incase I broke any rules regarding making it public. Not that it would win anything, your game looks way superior to mine.

No need to apology; but I don't appreciate you keep spreading FUD about this if you don't really know if there's a problem or not.

I've asked the organisers to clarify this; otherwise it doesn't make sense continuing with the development of the game.

Offline EgoTrip

• 6128 Plus
« Reply #37 on: 21:29, 09 October 16 »
Just finish it. You've gone this far, it would be pointless not to enter it.

Offline ||C|-|E||

• Administrator
  • 6128 Plus
    • Mundo CPC
  • Liked: 851
« Reply #38 on: 23:19, 09 October 16 »
No need to apology; but I don't appreciate you keep spreading FUD about this if you don't really know if there's a problem or not.

I've asked the organisers to clarify this; otherwise it doesn't make sense continuing with the development of the game.

The development of the game will always make sense, regardless of it entering a competition or not  :)

Offline reidrac

• Supporter
  • 464 Plus
  • Trying to gamedev!
    • usebox.net
« Reply #39 on: 00:05, 10 October 16 »
The development of the game will always make sense, regardless of it entering a competition or not  :)

You're absolutely right! I was thinking of deadlines; not entering the competition has some benefits ;)

Magica won't be submitted to the competition. This is final and I won't elaborate on the reasons, so please don't ask because you'll be politely ignored.

Anyway, the game will be released eventually (sooner rather than later), but obviously I'm not going to force myself to put extra time on the game in the next two weeks, and I may ask for help at some point to test the game, etc.

I'll keep updating this thread.
« Last Edit: 12:11, 10 October 16 by reidrac »