News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

How to set the four colors in mode 1 with CPCRSLIB or plain C?

Started by Fabrizio, 00:42, 03 October 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabrizio

Hi everyone!

I have managed to get the CPC version of my little "universal" 8-bit game CROSS CHASE to work decently
(still no sound and no fancy graphics)
https://github.com/Fabrizio-Caruso/CROSS-CHASE/releases/tag/MERGED

I am using mode 1 (four color 320x200) and coding in C with Z88DK and CPCRSLIB.
I have not been able to figure out how to use colors other than the standard four blue, cyan, red and yellow.
I would like to use a different set of four colors.

Should I use cpc_SetColour? How?

I could not find any manual? I am only guessing from the examples but I have not been able to choose the colors.

Fabrizio

AMSDOS

This is what I found on this archive site:

Screen

Mode Selection
cpc_SetMode(mode)               //Hardware routine. It requires disabling the Standard jump of the interruption.     
cpc_SetModo(mode)               // firmware routine

Ink change:
cpc_SetColour(ink number,  hardware colour)           //Hardware routine. It requires disabling the Standard jump of the interruption.         

//firmware:
cpc_SetBorder(colour)
cpc_SetInk(ink number, colour)         

cpc_GetScrAddress(x,y)                     //returns the x,y coordinates screen address. For example:  cpc_ScrAdress(0,0) -> &C000

//Rotation routines
cpc_RLI(screen rectangle origin, width, height)
cpc_RRI(screen rectangle origin, width, height)

So what you need is cpc_SetInk "ink number" can be anything from 0-3 in mode 1 followed by any of the 27 colours (0-26). That is the same as an INK command in BASIC, which uses Firmware. Though if you're program isn't using Firmware cpc_SetColour() I suspect is getting it direct from the Hardware. In that situation the Colours are ordered differently and can range between 0 & 32.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Fabrizio

Thanks!

I do not understand what the purpose of disabling the Firmware routines is. What is the advantage?
I am currently keeping the firmware active because my game is also doing other stuff which is implemented with firmware (conio.h in Z88DK) but I
may get of any firmware dependency if it is a good thing.

Fabrizio

AMSDOS

Quote from: Fabrizio on 10:12, 03 October 17
Thanks!

I do not understand what the purpose of disabling the Firmware routines is. What is the advantage?
I am currently keeping the firmware active because my game is also doing other stuff which is implemented with firmware (conio.h in Z88DK) but I
may get of any firmware dependency if it is a good thing.

Fabrizio

The firmware takes up a little bit of memory in RAM, which to some maybe an useful area to have their own specific routines for their particular game, I guess this is more apparent when something like C language is used since it may incorporate many well written routines. The firmware is old and while there are some useful routines, others are very slow. Other advantages I think I read the firmware uses some of the Alternate Register Set, so disable the firmware, Alternate Registers can be used. I try not to do that on advice from an Assembly book, though that Assembly book has many examples which use Firmware. I guess you just have to think of it as the original Library circa 1984/5 and while part of it maybe in RAM, the routines are written on ROM, so nobody (I don't think), has tried to reprogram for improvement type project.

Your Computer Programs

Fabrizio

If I use
cpc_SetModo(1);
cpc_SetInk(0,4);
cpc_SetInk(1,5);
cpc_SetInk(2,6);
cpc_SetInk(3,7);
I get a blue screen and nothing happens (frozen?)

I wonder whether cpcrslib is buggy...

Fabrizio

Is there some other way to select colors in mode 1? Do I need to use assembly?

Fabrizio

I am using Firmware (I have done nothing to disable it) and only cpc_setMode(1) does not produce a crash/freeze...

AMSDOS

You shouldn't have to use Assembly, that would defeat the purpose of CPCRSLIB. I can only presume that if cpc_setMode(1) works and that's meant to be hardware based perhaps it's being reworked? So maybe cpc_SetColour() will work perhaps?

Your Computer Programs

Fabrizio

cpc_setMode(1) does not break anything but it probably has no effect. Z88DK starts in mode 1 by default.
cpc_setColour has no effect, either
So I need to find a way to set colors... Is is really complicated?

Duke

Just a guess.
If interrupts (and firmware) is still enabled, it would probably overwrite your gate array changes (mode and colour settings) each frame.

To test you could try something like:

__asm__("di");
cpc_SetModo(1);
cpc_SetInk(0,4);
cpc_SetInk(1,5);
cpc_SetInk(2,6);
cpc_SetInk(3,7);
while(1);

And see if that works.

Fabrizio

#asm
      di
   #endasm
   cpc_SetModo(1);
   cpc_SetInk(0,4);
   cpc_SetInk(1,5);
   cpc_SetInk(2,6);
   cpc_SetInk(3,7);
   while(1);

will do nothing other than freezing my game with a blue (standard color) screen.

Arnaud

I remember when i used CPCRSLIB, i have to rebuild the lib (it was the cpcrslib for SDCC), the provided lib was crashing my program.

In the directory cpcrslib_z88dk\cpcrslib, i think you have to launch make.bat, it will recompile all sources into a new library.

Fabrizio

Of course. I am rebuilding the lib because otherwise it would not even compile.

Remark: I am using the Z88DK version, which maybe partially broken.

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Did you have any luck with the inline asm using the firmware scr_set_ink call?

Fabrizio

As I wrote, it freezes the game with a blue screen (same blue as the standard blue I want to get rid of).

Fabrizio

AMSDOS

Quote from: Fabrizio on 12:24, 04 October 17
As I wrote, it freezes the game with a blue screen (same blue as the standard blue I want to get rid of).

Fabrizio

Unfortunately I don't have the answers you're after, though I know @arnoldemu used Z88DK with CPCRSLIB to code Blue Angel 69 otherwise @Alcoholics Anonymous is probably the person you need to contact.

Your Computer Programs

arnoldemu

I have a library to set the colours using the firmware. I will find the code and post it here.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource