News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Of those 2 it has to be the C64 all the way. It's just more of a computer games machine. Although I never had either back in the day I was a CPC guy so why would I?

I had the best machine that I used for all my college and university assignments.... And oh let me play pang. 

I do not believe that either the C64 or speccy have a real 80 column display so are pretty useless for serious use. The C64. Excels at sprite driven games. The speccy excels at..... Erm..... propping a door open? 😉

So yeah of the 2 options it's a C64 for me. Unless you allow the Sam coupe and C128 in as further developments on the C64 and speccy platforms, in which case Sam Coupe wins it by miles.
I find it a bit odd that here in Spain, none of my friends as a kid had a C64... but one had an MSX.

I don't think the MSX sales were very good in Europe or USA, right?
Amstrad CPC hardware / Re: CPC four times faster...
Last post by GUNHED - Today at 15:33
Quote from: eto on Today at 15:27
Quote from: GUNHED on Today at 02:15also to be able to put 50% more data on an disc.
but that then also requires AMSDOS to use more sectors per track, right? What settings do you use then, that it can write a full track?
No, other DOS or OS can be used. (Of course using the native software will not change a thing to the better.)  :) :) :) 
If you want to stay with the native OS then I would suggest to use ParaDOS and change format parameters in that. 
Also CP/M allows to adapt disc formats in an easy way. 
Quote from: cwpab on Today at 11:22The 64 is winning here because people are more technical, but I suspect the ZX Spectrum would win among regular CPC users.

Because seriously, guys, don't you feel an emotional attachment to the Speccy games because of the simliarity with CPC mode 1 games? But running at their original faster speed! (and with color clash).

I mean, I know it's not possible that everyone has its CPC broken due do disk drive belt at 12 and then "recovers" it thanks to a Speccy emulator when he's 17 because somehow the CPC emulator arrived many months later to me, but... Don't you feel anything when you run the original Saboteur 1 and 2 and Matchday 2?
I never liked Spectrum games. The only game I liked to play on Spectrum was "Pang", and it was because I couldn't do it on my CPC. I cannot even play them on emulators. Sure, I could enjoy some of them, but I just don't like Spectrum games at all.

Then look at Last Ninja trilogy for example, or many other c64 games. It is not a matter of nostalgia, because I never played on a C64 as a kid, they are just good games on a good enough system.

My alternative system of choice would have been MSX2 anyway, as playing with my uncle's MSX2 was the reason I wanted a computer, but my parents (luckily) were addressed by the shop-assistant to get a CPC6128 instead (that was in 1989).
Last post by GUNHED - Today at 15:30
Quote from: McArti0 on Today at 15:10
Quote from: McArti0 on Yesterday at 18:40what RAM do you have 150ns?, mux LS153? what CRTC, what 8255.
Take a photo of the mainboard that RUN.

and check the temperature of all chips, especially 765
Say something about the components or take a photo. And confirm that gotek does not work.
As told, just the crystal got exchanged (in my case I added a 2nd one at 24 MHz and a switch to be able to switch crystals - Switching shall happen ONLY when the CPC is OFF!).
Anything else remains the same. No heat, no problems - it's a CPC not a stupid PC thanks god!  :) :) :)
Well, yes, I put a Z80B instead of the Z80A. RAM works fine anyway.

The critical component it the GA. Seems that other 6 MHz CPCs had problems with some GAs.
Last post by eto - Today at 15:27
Quote from: GUNHED on Today at 02:15also to be able to put 50% more data on an disc.
but that then also requires AMSDOS to use more sectors per track, right? What settings do you use then, that it can write a full track?
Quote from: McArti0 on Yesterday at 18:40what RAM do you have 150ns?, mux LS153? what CRTC, what 8255.
Take a photo of the mainboard that RUN.

and check the temperature of all chips, especially 765
Say something about the components or take a photo. And confirm that gotek does not work.
Amstrad CPC hardware / Re: Amstrad CPC WiFi
Last post by GUNHED - Today at 15:08
Can it be the case that you need a stronger network signal - means: moving M4 and WiFi closer together?

Give it a try!  :)
Last post by GUNHED - Today at 15:05
Quote from: McArti0 on Today at 15:03I wonder how much 50% more Sectors per track is compared to 9  :P
Well, the FDC765 supports different sector sizes. According to the maxium number of bytes per track it may be befeficial to use 0.5, 1.0 or even 2 KB sectors.  8)
I wonder how much 50% more Sectors per track is compared to 9  :P