News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

464+ Failure

Started by jockavelli, 15:02, 20 November 19

Previous topic - Next topic

||C|-|E||

Quote from: jockavelli on 12:00, 13 December 19
Good news the RAM arrived :)

Bad news, it appears both RAM chips have failed.

I only noticed this after replacing the first one, which i admit i found harder to do than i expected that is probably through lack of experience & confidence.
As such i cannot do the second one, i don't see an easy way for me to do it without messing something else out.

So.... is there anyone willing to help me out by doing the repair?
Bryce i know you said you could but i don't want to assume you are still willing to do so.

I have plenty of RAM as i bought 10 just in case as well as a few sockets.
If you are near Oxford I can also replace the RAM for you and save Bryce a trip to the post office  :) However, if you need to send it by post anyway, I would totally send it to him  :D

jockavelli

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 23:58, 13 December 19
If you are near Oxford I can also replace the RAM for you and save Bryce a trip to the post office  :) However, if you need to send it by post anyway, I would totally send it to him  :D

Im near Edinburgh, so needs to get posted anyway.

||C|-|E||

Then Bryce all the way  :)

jockavelli

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 00:44, 15 December 19
Then Bryce all the way  :)

Yeah that's the plan, its boxed & ready to go so hopefully i'll get to post it tomorrow.

Bryce

Right in the middle of the Christmas rush. It should be here by February :)

Bryce.

jockavelli

Quote from: Bryce on 23:42, 15 December 19
Right in the middle of the Christmas rush. It should be here by February :)

Bryce.

I've just posted it...  :doh:
I never even gave that a single thought, oh bugger i hope they don't lose it. :(

||C|-|E||

Maybe it will arrive already fixed!  :laugh:

Bryce

Well it arrived before Christmas and is currently languising on the healing bench. You've sent me enough parts to convert it to 128K. Do you want it converted or should I just leave it at 64K?

Bryce.

Edit: I've swapped the last RAM chip and the computer is up and running again. Your chip replacement was good, just the other RAM chip had failed too. Let me know if you want me to upgrade it to 128K while I'm here and the iron is hot.

jockavelli

Quote from: Bryce on 14:28, 23 December 19
Well it arrived before Christmas and is currently languising on the healing bench. You've sent me enough parts to convert it to 128K. Do you want it converted or should I just leave it at 64K?

Bryce.

Edit: I've swapped the last RAM chip and the computer is up and running again. Your chip replacement was good, just the other RAM chip had failed too. Let me know if you want me to upgrade it to 128K while I'm here and the iron is hot.

Superb, glad to hear she still has life in her lol

yeah go for it, not sure what the advantage is really but i'm sure there is one.

Bryce

Well there are games that will only run on 128K, but you'll have to ask the others here whether it's worth it* as I'm not a gamer.

Bryce.

* Bryce officially opens a can of worms.

1024MAK

Looking forward to summer in Somerset :-)

Bryce

Your 464+ is now a 4128+. As soon as the post office opens again (Friday I think), I'll send it back.

Bryce.

jockavelli

Quote from: Bryce on 13:00, 24 December 19
Your 464+ is now a 4128+. As soon as the post office opens again (Friday I think), I'll send it back.

Bryce.

Superb, thank so much for that, you really didn't need to do it that quickly.

Just let me know what i'm due you & i'll get it transferred to you.

Bryce

To be honest, I didn't rush it for you particularly. I have 26 computers in for repair at the moment and I'd like to get them all finished before the start of the new year. Yours was done first because I always clear the easy ones out of the way first.

Bryce.