News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

6128 Plus motherboard disk drive pinouts

Started by chrisgreen, 13:05, 19 April 19

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisgreen

Hi
Can someone please confirm if the internal 3-inch disk drive header pinouts on the 6128 Plus are the same as the pinouts on the regular 6128?
In the process of puttng a Gotek in a 6128 Plus, and trying to work out if I need to wire the adapter cable differently from the cable I used to put a Gotek in my classic 6128. I already know the 3-inch drive in the Plus is 5v rather than 12v in the classic 6128.
ThanksChris

00WReX

Hi Chris.

Yes they are the same pinout.

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

chrisgreen

Hi Shane

Thanks for confirming.

Cheers
Chris

chrisgreen

Just want to triple check I'm good before I do something stupid and fatally damage a 6128 Plus.

You will see a Gotek, a normal Gotek to CPC internal drive cable adapter, and the original drive cable from the 6128 Plus motherboard. Now, the thing is, to connect those cables together, the keying on the connectors would require one to be twisted round, that would seemingly mean that pin 1 on the motherboard was not connected to pin 1 on the Gotek. Is that right?

Or, as I'm starting to think, has the drive connector on the cable coming off the CPC motherboard been attached upside down? In which case, do I just need to cut out a new gap for the notch in the grey connector?

All advice gratefully received.

Bryce

Hi,

all the connections are correct and the connector knotch is in the right place, so don't start swapping the connectors. However, the adapter cable is dimensioned for a standard 6128 so it's too short to twist. Connect it as it is (with the Gotek flipped over for now) and it should work. And just to ease your nerves - Connecting the cable the wrong way around doesn't damage either the CPC or the Gotek, it just won't work, so it's safe to try in both directions.

Bryce.

chrisgreen

Quote from: Bryce on 08:54, 24 April 19
Hi,

all the connections are correct and the connector knotch is in the right place, so don't start swapping the connectors. However, the adapter cable is dimensioned for a standard 6128 so it's too short to twist. Connect it as it is (with the Gotek flipped over for now) and it should work. And just to ease your nerves - Connecting the cable the wrong way around doesn't damage either the CPC or the Gotek, it just won't work, so it's safe to try in both directions.

Bryce.
Hi Bryce

Thanks for posting. Good to know that I won't do any damage plugging it in the wrong way around. I'm back home tomorrow, so will try flipping the Gotek over to try it out. In the meantime, the supplier of this Gotek has put together a longer Gotek cable for me (but with the connectors in the same orientation as the one pictured). That cable will be long enough to twist.

My only concern was that, even twisting the cable over (or flipping over the Gotek), it would be a 1-1 pin connection. For that reason, I was thinking I might need to cut a new notch hole in the grey connector to allow the 6128+ drive cable to plug in the right way up.

But - as you say, will give it a try flipping over the Gotek and report back.

Thanks
Chris

chrisgreen

Hi Bryce

Just to update and close this off. Flipping over the Gotek did not work and produced a (cable wrong way round) error in FlashFloppy.

The solution was, as I previously suggested, to cut a new notch on the other side of the grey 26-pin header socket for the 6128 Plus drive cable to plug into. No need to twist any cables over. Fixed the problem nicely.

Chris