6128 with keyboard issues (random chars on boot, half keys not working)

Started by keropi, 21:23, 31 October 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

That's a pretty decent picture you're getting. It's probably a bit late to mention it now, but I usually replace the thermal paste on all the heatsinks if I have gone to the bother of removing the entire PCB. The paste dries over time and those chips / transistors will be running hotter than they should.

Bryce.

keropi

^ heh!
I actually did that Bryce ,the thermal paste is brand new - I used arctic silver ceramique  ;D

Bryce

||C|-|E||

One day, I will know why the blue/yellow color combination was chosen instead of something more bearable  :D I remember that, long, long ago, when I decided to customize the BASIC a little bit, the first thing I did was to change the default color scheme.

keropi

^ so what color scheme you chose?

I wish there was a project to install more stuff in the ROM, like a game or something... just like parados ... imagine having something like BB4CPC in rom , cool  8)

||C|-|E||

I tried different things and, at the end, I think that I chose black background with green font. I tested black background with white font, but the contrast was just too strong for my eyes and I went for something more conventional :) .

keropi

ah the classic green scheme... tested and relaxing on the eyes - though you do miss the iconic yellow/blue screen  :)

Gryzor

That yellow/blue was so iconic... I used to only have a green monitor with my 464 and then 6128 back in the day. When I got a SCART cable and saw the big picture on our family TV... wow. The colours, man!

VincentGR

Same here with the CTM.
It wasn't yellow, it was PURE GOLD!

||C|-|E||

They should have changed it right before shipping the 464  :D The color combination is iconic now thanks to the nostalgia and the color imprint burned in our infant retinas. However, back in those days, they could have seen how plainly radioactive it was  :laugh:

Gryzor

Oh I don't know, it always felt rather comfortable to me, at least until you changed to mode 2.

VincentGR

Nop, remember wearing sunglasses while hex-ing in Discology.

Gryzor

Ah for me Discology is GREEN. But I do remember it being VERY easy to change the colors.

||C|-|E||

Quote from: VincentGR on 15:53, 26 January 17
Nop, remember wearing sunglasses while hex-ing in Discology.

If you stay for too long in front of the screen you get tanned too  :laugh: I still love the original Amstrad monitors, though, with all their imperfections. That is why I keep using them.

VincentGR

True, I have a CPC attached to a 1084. This is awesome but not the real thing.

||C|-|E||

Yes... I should buy and repair one 1084. Actually, I am tempted from time to time because it is so much better (and I would like to have an Amiga with the original screen some day). Then, I think about it and it is what you say, it does not feel the same...

Gryzor

That's what I thought, too, and to some extent it applies. However the 1084 is really great, it's of course old school anyhow, plus some of them also have a green mode. Can't beat that! :)