News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

A repair mod for the tape counter reset button

Started by nestorv, 16:14, 29 November 18

Previous topic - Next topic

Audronic

Hi All

I am unable to find anybody that can print the Reset Buttons in Victoria Australia.

If anybody is getting the Tape Reset Button Printed I would like 6 Please depending on price sent to Australia.

Thanks Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

geebus

Hi all,

I got the drawings back and also an estimate from the company I used to work for.
They'd outsource it to a 3d printing company.

They're quoting £7 each part and £40 set up fee.

Let me know your thoughts. I don't have a 464 that needs one of these (yet). I could take the one from my modded 464 to test against.

I'll go over the number of people that were asking about them and work out how much it would be for you all (before postage, as that'll depend where in the world you are).

geebus

Had a look over the posts there to see who was after some of these.

Looks like it was just two people:

Audronic :- 4       £28
00WReX :- 4 or 5 £28 - 35

Set up fee is £40 remember (which I was surprised about). So split that over the two and you're both looking at a pricey piece of plastic (£48 to £55).
Let me know if you'd like them and I'll get things in motion.
I'll understand if you don't fancy spending that on them and would rather look elsewhere.

Also, let me know if i've missed anyone.

00WReX

Thanks for looking into this for us geebus.

At this point, I will wait to see if any cheaper alternatives eventuate.

Cheers,

Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

Audronic

@geebus
Thanks for following this up.
I will also wait for a more cost effective way.
Thanks
Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

geebus

No worries. I was hoping for something around £2-3. Was surprised by that.
I might look for some other methods too.

nestorv

hello everyone. after a freakish accident resulting to 17 stiches on my forearm and a severed thumb tendon I am back in action. If all goes well within the next 2 weeks I will be a 3D printer owner so after some testing I will be able to print some buttons up.I do not know if PLA is strong enough for pressing onto it or I should look at some other material but we are talking me being a total noob on this. If all goes well I will be able to print and sent out. Please note that worldwide posting with tracking from Greece is 5.3 Euros. Postage costs are ridiculus here as they charge 2.8 euros for 100 grams plus 2.5 Euros for the tracking number. From bitter experience something this small should be sent with a tracking number associated with it.
I do not know about the actual cost of the buttons but it seems to me to be really small as I have never run a 3D printer before. If oobdoo is ok with it I would use his files and of course I am not going to make a profit on this as I am not the original designer of the file.

Bryce

Welcome to the club. The crazy new German postal rules means that nothing other than paper documents can sent for less than €10!

Bryce.

nestorv

that sucks.. crazy part is that tracking number costs is the same irrespective of the item's weight or size..

tjohnson

Quote from: Bryce on 12:50, 26 March 19
Welcome to the club. The crazy new German postal rules means that nothing other than paper documents can sent for less than €10!

Bryce.

Expensive sending into Europe here, about 8 quid for a small package.  Maybe they've cottoned onto making loads of cash from all the parcels going back and forth   After brexit it will probably be even more expensive  another excuse to put prices up 

oobdoo

Quote from: nestorv on 12:37, 26 March 19
If oobdoo is ok with it I would use his files and of course I am not going to make a profit on this as I am not the original designer of the file.
You're welcome to use it. That's what I did it for.###
kannst du gerne verwenden. dafür habe ich es ja gemacht.

llopis

Any updates printing reset buttons? I could do with a few myself. They seem to break off just by looking at them :-(

Bryce

I have to admit, I've fallen down that rabbit hole and I'm now also the (proud?) owner of a 3D printer (semi self-built). I'll try out the STL myself and see if it works on my 464 as soon as I've finished printing all the useless crap I've just downloaded from Thingiverse.

Bryce.

retro_collector

I ordered my 3D printer. If someone can send me the .STL  I can print some

geebus

I've been 3d printing so much stuff, yet forgot about these.
I wouldn't mind having a go at printing some too for the people in the UK if need be.
I'll draw up an stl file to share, it will be from Bryce's measurements that he done for this post a while back.

I think theres something happening with the UK and the EU at the moment... not quite sure what, but i heard a murmer of something one day..
So if that's going to be a pain for shipping, i'll see if I can help the UK people (with 3d printed parts  :P ).

EDIT - just noticed the link to thingiverse for the parts that oobdoo made already. Thanks @oobdoo !

geebus

Just printed one of these. Who wants to be the guinea pig?

Audronic

@geebus

If they work I would be prepared to distribute them in Australia (to save postage from over seas)
I would like to get a total of 10, 5 for me and there are others over here that want some.
Good luck with  the 3d Printing.

Thanks.  Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

oobdoo

geebus

Quote from: Audronic on 22:10, 18 October 19
@geebus

If they work I would be prepared to distribute them in Australia (to save postage from over seas)
I would like to get a total of 10, 5 for me and there are others over here that want some.
Good luck with  the 3d Printing.

Thanks.  Ray

Hi @Audronic , I was hoping someone a bit closer would like to make sure these prints work ok before I send them out to people.
If no one else is interested then I'll be more than happy to send them out to you if you can cover postage.
Also, I have printed one out in Green at the moment but have some black and some blue filament if you'd prefer a different colour.

I have sliced the stl file at a 0.05mm resolution and the prints are coming out pretty smooth at that setting, but i'm not sure I want to open up either of my 464's to dismantle a working part in such a tricky little area to make sure they work.
I'm sure others with more experience with the part will be more willing to test this out than I.
OR am I making a mountain out of a mole hill?

Bryce

Slicing to 0.05mm is pretty pointless and will just mean the parts take much longer to print. 0.1mm is more than sufficient. I don't know of any (non-industrial) printer that actually manages 0.05mm (other than in their marketing material).

Bryce.

llopis

I have several 464 in need of the reset button. If nobody else local volunteers, I'd be happy to try them out. Hopefully shipping something that light to Spain is pretty inexpensive.

geebus

Quote from: Bryce on 10:11, 21 October 19
Slicing to 0.05mm is pretty pointless and will just mean the parts take much longer to print. 0.1mm is more than sufficient. I don't know of any (non-industrial) printer that actually manages 0.05mm (other than in their marketing material).

Bryce.

I'm aware that it wont be able to print at such a resolution, but it has made the prints come out so much smoother. Even after having it set to .1 for a long time.
There is method to the madness.

Bryce

Yeah, but things take forever to print at 0.05mm. I suppose the reset button is small enough that it's not too bad.

Bryce.

geebus

Quote from: Bryce on 07:40, 22 October 19
Yeah, but things take forever to print at 0.05mm. I suppose the reset button is small enough that it's not too bad.

Bryce.

The way things are in my house, I don't notice the 15 minutes that it takes to print them.

On another note. I printed off another couple. I'll clean up the edges and send them out to people to test. I'll make a few more and fire them out together as there's no point in me sending one to Oz etc. to find out they work and then need to send more.
If they don't work, then nothing really lost in the testing.

Bryce

Yeah, with something that small it's probably irrelevant, but I was printing something this week that took about 11 hours at 0.2mm. At 0.05mm it would take over 44 hours!!

Bryce.