News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad 464 Plus help needed

Started by CrookieMonster, 20:18, 03 August 19

Previous topic - Next topic

CrookieMonster

I've come across a 464 Plus, keyboard only. It'll be arriving this week.

It doesn't have a Burnin' Rubber cart with it, though. Will I be able to use the one I got with my GX4000?

Also, what's the best power cable for it and how would I connect it to a LCD monitor?

Any help would be amazing!

tjohnson

The burning rubber cart will work but it will effectively be a gx4000 and will boot straight into the game. You won't get basic prompt.

For power you need a 5v supply, with a 2.5mm positive centre tip, get something like 4a rated.

To connect to an lcd TV your best bet is a scart cable, they are sold on ebay. Make sure you get one for a plus model as they have an 8 pin din instead of the original 6 pin din used on the classic Cpc.

ComSoft6128

CrookieMonster

Thanks both.

Do you know anywhere I can get a Plus System cart? I've seen this: [size=78%]https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Locomotive-Basic-UK-B-Rubber-Cartridge-for-Amstrad-CPC-CPC-464-6128-plus-/293044385661[/size] Is it decent?

pelrun

I'd suggest hitting up @gerald for one of his C4CPC carts instead: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/C4CPC

CrookieMonster

Brilliant. I will do.

Just a couple more questions. Apparently the cassette door doesn't stay shut. Is this a common problem? Also, the Amstrad logo under the keyboard is very worn. Does anyone sell replacements?

tjohnson

Interesting question on the cassette door, mine is the same, as far as I can tell my door isn't the original one so maybe there were variations, remove the spring and lift it manually.

CrookieMonster

Good plan.

Does anyone know how I could restore the logo to its former glory?

gerald

Quote from: CrookieMonster on 07:20, 05 August 19
Looks like it faded away due to UV exposure (retrobright treatment?)
Unless replacing it by an other plate, there is no way to save it. Color pigments are no more.

CrookieMonster

Any idea what it's made of? I may try and replicate the logo on identical material.

tjohnson

Some sort of plastic, you could print one out on a laser printer then laminate as a low cost alt but it won't look oem

Bryce

Quote from: CrookieMonster on 07:20, 05 August 19
Good plan.

Cleaning the case with isopropanol does this too. No way back unless you are a master with a fine paintbrush.

Bryce.

gerald

Quote from: Bryce on 13:38, 06 August 19
Cleaning the case with isopropanol does this too.
Good to know  :o

CrookieMonster

Art isn't my strong point.  ;D  Anybody have a spare knocking around?

Bryce

Quote from: CrookieMonster on 20:16, 06 August 19
Art isn't my strong point.  ;D  Anybody have a spare knocking around?

Spare artist? :D

Bryce.

CrookieMonster

Haha. It may well come to that.

CraigsBar

Quote from: CrookieMonster on 14:53, 04 August 19
Brilliant. I will do.

Just a couple more questions. Apparently the cassette door doesn't stay shut. Is this a common problem? Also, the Amstrad logo under the keyboard is very worn. Does anyone sell replacements?

The door on the Plus tape drives has only a tiny overlap between the tab on the door and the hook on the case.. You may have to glue a small slither of plastic to one (or both) if they are worn to the point that they don't catch any more. I Had to do this to the 464 plus I donated to ChinnyVision ( @chinnyhill10 ) Perhaps he can grab some close up images of the catches to show what I mean??

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

CrookieMonster

If it's possible to see some photos, that would be great. Thanks so much for this tip.

I haven't been able to test the machine yet because I'm looking for a Plus System
Cart. Fingers crossed.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: CraigsBar on 19:13, 09 August 19

The door on the Plus tape drives has only a tiny overlap between the tab on the door and the hook on the case.. You may have to glue a small slither of plastic to one (or both) if they are worn to the point that they don't catch any more. I Had to do this to the 464 plus I donated to ChinnyVision ( @chinnyhill10 ) Perhaps he can grab some close up images of the catches to show what I mean??

I'll try and grab a photo later tonight.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

chinnyhill10

--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

CraigsBar

Hmm, no not that. Must have been one of the other 464 pluses I posted LOL

But the black hook attached to the eject button can be seen in the photo (See bottom right)

Cut a piece of DVD case plastic to the same shape and glue it on to increase the overlap with the ledge on the back of the Tape Door Frame.

when new the overlap of these 2 hooks was less than 0.5mm so wear and tear reduces this to the point that it does not clip any longer.

widening the black portion of the locking mechanism will keep the door closed.

Craig
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

CrookieMonster

Thanks for this, both.

So this is the inside of mine to the right with the button pressed down. Which piece would it be?