News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Cassette adapter

Started by MrKlok, 12:24, 27 February 19

Previous topic - Next topic

MrKlok

Hey people of the CPC.

I decided to go beyond the game cassettes and grab an adapter to run files from my phone. However...

The cassette won't 'play'. Is there a method of positioning the wire so it doesn't interfere with the cassettes positioning?  Or is the cassette I have just wrong?
Or are the little wheels turning everything in need of a light sand to reintroduce some extra grip/oompf?

Sincerely yours.
Me.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bryce

Try putting it under the lid (ie: under the sliders made to hold the tape to the lid) and not closing the lid at all.

Bryce.

MrKlok

I did do that. Though it doesn't seem to work (unless I'm holding it in place, then it does at least attempt to move).

I also put new holes in the cassette to thread the wire out from different directions, to no avail.

But I'm going to bring up an issue on another "tech help" thread which may answer more of the issues :)

Me.

VincentGR

I have one of these and plays just fine on my 464, C64 and ZX+2.
Put the cable on the right and close the lid.

I removed the wheels though.

MrKlok

Does it need the counter to tick along?
Or; shouldn't I care?  I've run a few cdt files through it and nothing is happening. Hence why I wondered in my maybe illogical brain :)

VincentGR

Try a WAV file with your phone at 70-80% volume.

MrKlok

Then to be lazy... any links for the wav files? Be appreciated.  I've not actually looked for any; but I'm busy cooking Roland In Time on the radiator :)

VincentGR

Here you go.
Just rename .sna to 7z.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: MrKlok on 12:24, 27 February 19
Hey people of the CPC.

I decided to go beyond the game cassettes and grab an adapter to run files from my phone. However...

Ok, I used that exact model on the 464. For a semi permanent install do the following:

First open the cassette up and do two things. Make a notch so the cable can travel more to the left so it doesn't foul the tape deck. Secondly remove the internal mechanism aside from the heads because its only designed to fool an auto reverse mechanism and is bloody noisy.

Then open up the CPC and thread the cable through the side of the tape deck and out via the expansion port.

You can now put the cassette in the machine without fouling the mechanism and with no noise. But it is in there semi permanently. Worked well and reliably for me.

Or you could buy a bluetooth cassette adaptor which some people have had joy with.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Bryce

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 19:14, 28 February 19
First open the cassette up and do two things. Make a notch so the cable can travel more to the left so it doesn't foul the tape deck. Secondly remove the internal mechanism aside from the heads because its only designed to fool an auto reverse mechanism and is bloody noisy.

That could be mis-understood. Chinnyhill means remove the "cogs" from inside the adapter tape, don't remove or modify anything from the tapedeck!! :D

Bryce.