News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Connecting to my 6128

Started by BSC, 19:41, 26 September 19

Previous topic - Next topic

BSC

Hi everyone!

Some of you might know that I don't develop my CPC stuff on a real CPC. I know that's heresy, but what can I do? *insert shrugging emoji*
I do have a working (and basically unmodified) 6128 around which I would love to run my SID stuff on, so I was wondering how I could transfer
data from my iMac (or a Laptop running Linux, if that makes it any easier) to the 6128. I am mainly interested in hardware add-ons or similar,
as I would rather not modify the 6128 or have a [hardware for flash cards that sits or sits not where the floppy used to sit], but something that
can either write directly to the CPCs memory or some kind of add-on (at the expansion port) that behaves like a floppy but is fed from the outside.

tl;dr: what hardware options are available to transfer data to a real CPC? 

Thanks in advance for your tips and tricks :-)
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

robcfg

I think that Duke's M4 board would be ideal as you can send a disk image or any other file via wifi.

Duke

For M4 card there is cpc xfer so you can transfer and execute directly from your PC to the CPC.
I do most my dev on PC using notepad++ and some scripts to upload and exectute (ie. f5 / f10) via cpcxfer.

You can look here:
https://github.com/M4Duke/cpcxfer

It works with linux and windows. I don't know anything about MAC, maybe @krusty_benediction python implementation (in same repository) will run on MAC.

VincentGR

Μ4, you can have unlimited space to do whatever you like.

BSC

Quote from: Duke on 20:44, 26 September 19
For M4 card there is cpc xfer so you can transfer and execute directly from your PC to the CPC.
I do most my dev on PC using notepad++ and some scripts to upload and exectute (ie. f5 / f10) via cpcxfer.

You can look here:

It works with linux and windows. I don't know anything about MAC, maybe @krusty_benediction python implementation (in same repository) will run on MAC.

This sounds awesome! I want one, please. For a german 6128. Anything else you need to know?
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

robcfg

Quote from: Duke on 20:44, 26 September 19

You can look here:

Actually, the changes for compiling it under MacOS are quite easy. I did that and I got a working executable.

I'll test if it works during the weekend and if it does, I'll submit a pull request.

Duke

Quote from: BSC on 21:42, 26 September 19

This sounds awesome! I want one, please. For a german 6128. Anything else you need to know?
I assume it uses centronics connector (not edge) ?
Depends if you already have some bus-extender(ie. MotherX4) you will just need the M4 board with IDC connector, otherwise you will need a Centronics to IDC cable as well (+8 eur).

robcfg

Good news, it's working!

I´ll submit my PR for the changes.

Duke

Quote from: robcfg on 18:12, 27 September 19
Good news, it's working!

I´ll submit my PR for the changes.
Thanks. Merged.

robcfg

Glad I could help!  :)

BSC

Quote from: Duke on 06:22, 27 September 19
I assume it uses centronics connector (not edge) ?
Depends if you already have some bus-extender(ie. MotherX4) you will just need the M4 board with IDC connector, otherwise you will need a Centronics to IDC cable as well (+8 eur).

It looks like the one on this picture:

And I have no add-ons or connectors. What is IDC btw?

Duke

Quote from: BSC on 23:18, 27 September 19

It looks like the one on this picture:

And I have no add-ons or connectors. What is IDC btw?
You have Centronics connector. IDC = insulation-displacement contact, it is just commonly used name (IDC) for box headers. Anyway drop me a pm if you want to commit to an order for the above, which you will need to connect to your CPC.

BSC

Quote from: Duke on 19:46, 28 September 19
You have Centronics connector. IDC = insulation-displacement contact, it is just commonly used name (IDC) for box headers. Anyway drop me a pm if you want to commit to an order for the above, which you will need to connect to your CPC.

I have ordered my M4 a few days ago to help Duke with reaching the 1000 sold units very soon :)

@Duke: Thanks for the update. Looking forward to my M4. 

BSC

My M4 arrived today and everything worked just like a charm. Even the xfer command compiled without error and runs as expected.
Great work Duke, that's a really awesome add-on! And thanks @robocfg for making it compile on the Mac :)

It's kind of spooky though to see my CPC being reset by sheer magic :D

robcfg

You're welcome!

Enjoy your M4 8)