News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 464+ tapes not loading

Started by AxelStone, 22:50, 09 March 17

Previous topic - Next topic

AxelStone

Good day everybody, I've just bought my new CPC 464+, really a beautiful machine  :) . I've bought for a good price since tape player doesn't works, it doesn't load any game. Some of them loads wrong (Read Error b) and others simple don't show even loading process.

How can I repair it? Thanks!

robcfg

I'd try to save a basic program and try to load it again.

Maybe it's only a dirty head.

keith56

as robcfg said, try loading your own program from a new tape to confirm it's not the tapes at fault
Sometimes I find fast-forwarding and rewinding old tapes a few times gets them working better
The first thing to do will be to use a tape cleaning kit to clean the tape head and pinch roller. if that doesn't work, I guess the head needs aligning, 
Back in the day we had this: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Azimuth_Head_Alignment_Tape
I've seen a guide somewhere on how to do it by ear, without the azimuth kit - but I'm afraid I can't find it now - Maybe someone more skilled than I can advise?
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

AxelStone

Thanks guys, I've already played with azimut in other systems (MSX basically) and I can adjust it by ear, but the problem is that CPC+ doesn't make any sound while tape loading, is this normal? All previous casette computers I've tried makes sound (CPC, MSX, Spectrum...)

On the other hand, where is the azimuth screw in CPC 464+? I can't locate it.

Thanks.

Bryce

Hi,
     Before you start messing around with azimut or anything else, I would clean the tape head and pinch wheels with alcohol. I'd also fast forward and rewind the tapes completely through to properly align the tape in its case. If it still doesn't work I'd check the belts in the drive to make sure they are still under tension. Only then if all that has failed, would I start fiddling with the azimut.

Bryce.

||C|-|E||

I will just add that the Plus does not make noise when loading tapes. It is normal  :)

dlfrsilver

Quote from: Bryce on 13:55, 11 March 17
Hi,
     Before you start messing around with azimut or anything else, I would clean the tape head and pinch wheels with alcohol. I'd also fast forward and rewind the tapes completely through to properly align the tape in its case. If it still doesn't work I'd check the belts in the drive to make sure they are still under tension. Only then if all that has failed, would I start fiddling with the azimut.

Bryce.

Yes, Bryce is right, one can use right away after buying it up without cleaning. We're talking about 20 years+ retro computers.

They need some checkups, servicing, and cleaning. And only after all this is done you can try to play :D

AxelStone

Thanks people, I'll try some of your suggestions before playing with azimut.