News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 464 video Flickering on Modern TV

Started by Prox, 19:03, 05 March 19

Previous topic - Next topic

Prox

I'm using my CPC 464 with a simple SCART Adapter i got from Ebay. it worked perfectly fine on an actual CRT (though i don't own it and only used it for that test so i cannot keep using it).
but when i try it with my more modern Flatscreen TV it has this strange flickering where the entire image shifts to the left for a split second.

here is a GIF of how it looks: [size=78%]

I also tested the CPC on the Monocrome screen that it came with, there the picture is perfectly stable (but sadly small and colorless).

the TV itself has very little options in terms of signal processing (or receiving?) the most i can do is change the aspect ratio, which has no effect and 16:9 worked perfectly fine on the real CRT too[/size]

VincentGR

You must give some voltage to the scart, there are some diagrams around here.

tjohnson

Prox

Quote from: tjohnson on 00:10, 06 March 19
Maybe the 12v mod to tell the tv to use RGb mode?
See here http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/TV_SCART_cable or here http://www.cpcmania.com/Docs/Scart/Scart.htm

the only thing that requires 12V on a SCART connector though is to tell it what aspect ratio to use. acording to wikipedia to use RGB Mode it needs 3V. which can be grabbed via a pass through from the Power connector of the CPC

also isn't the fact that i get a color picture at all an idicator that it already uses RGB Mode?

anyways i think the best thing to do is just to get an active SCART adapter. i found one on Ebay for 11 EUR. LINK
i could also just add some cables to the adpater i already have but just buying a new one is cheaper, takes less time, and the guy who made the one i have used a lot of hot glue in the SCART connector.

thanks for the help though, i didn't know i needed an active adapter for modern TVs and almost thought something broke.

tjohnson

Quote from: Prox on 05:49, 06 March 19

the only thing that requires 12V on a SCART connector though is to tell it what aspect ratio to use. acording to wikipedia to use RGB Mode it needs 3V. which can be grabbed via a pass through from the Power connector of the CPC

also isn't the fact that i get a color picture at all an idicator that it already uses RGB Mode?

anyways i think the best thing to do is just to get an active SCART adapter. i found one on Ebay for 11 EUR. LINK
i could also just add some cables to the adpater i already have but just buying a new one is cheaper, takes less time, and the guy who made the one i have used a lot of hot glue in the SCART connector.

thanks for the help though, i didn't know i needed an active adapter for modern TVs and almost thought something broke.

You may not need an active one my cpc works on my Sony bravia and sharp aquos with a normal cable but I guess every TV is different

Prox

Eh rather get an active cable just to be sure so that it works on all TVs

Bryce

In many cases you can make an active SCART cable without needing an external power source: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/TV_SCART_cable#Alternative_RGB_Wiring
This cable uses a capacitor to create the voltage required to keep the TV in RGB mode.

Bryce.

Prox

ok if i can get through the largest blob of hot glue that i've ever seen then i might be able to solder on a capacitor.

if that doesn't work then i'll just stick to the original idea of ordering an active cable

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Prox on 05:30, 08 March 19
ok if i can get through the largest blob of hot glue that i've ever seen then i might be able to solder on a capacitor.

if that doesn't work then i'll just stick to the original idea of ordering an active cable

Retro Computer Shack now sells active CPC RGB SCART leads after I requested them some time ago. Work well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261898189777
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Prox

ok so, i've made the modifications to the cable i already have and it seems to be working fine.

here is how it looks:

LINK

Thanks for all the help, people are quite nice on here.

on a completely unrelated note. the Edge connector adapter i made (

This thing) is aparently so horribly soldered that the CPC crashes the instant i put it in. but i used my multimeter in continuity mode and checks all pins, there are no missing or unwanted connections... maybe i'll just order some custom made small PCB for this if there is some connection that my multimeter or i missed

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Prox on 12:48, 08 March 19

This thing) is aparently so horribly soldered that the CPC crashes the instant i put it in. but i used my multimeter in continuity mode and checks all pins, there are no missing or unwanted connections... maybe i'll just order some custom made small PCB for this if there is some connection that my multimeter or i missed

Someone has gone a bit mad with the hot snot!
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Bryce

Quote from: Prox on 12:48, 08 March 19
ok so, i've made the modifications to the cable i already have and it seems to be working fine.

here is how it looks:

LINK

Thanks for all the help, people are quite nice on here.

With a bonus 3pf of capacity just from the length of those leads :)

Bryce.

Prox

Quote from: Bryce on 13:35, 08 March 19
With a bonus 3pf of capacity just from the length of those leads :)

Bryce.

to be honest they had to be that long to fit into the SCART connector... damn hot glue taking up so much space

Bryce

I know, the SCART cable slopes up on that side, it was just a funny comment for entertainment value. :)

Bryce.