News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Characters display when switching on 464

Started by Dagger, 23:19, 25 November 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Dagger

I have a 464 that displays the same characters everytime the machine is switched on. The characters are [-97532 and then loads of the down cursor key symbol . Pressing return seems to stop any more characters displaying on their own. Also I cannot do a soft reset pressing the 3 keys.
   Any tips on what I should be looking for
Life's a bitch. You marry one or two then you die !

Audronic

Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Dagger

Thank you for that. I forgot about that thread. Does not look good then :(

Audronic

@Dagger

If you could Carefully Unplug the Keyboard cables (Not the Cassette cable) and then power up the cpc464 and see what is on the screen that may point to where the fault may be. If you have a joystick that you could plug in and see what you get for Up, Down, left and right and Fire that will also help.
Good luck

Ray

Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Dagger

Thank you, sorry only just seen this reply :( I will give this a go asap

Dagger

The characters still display with keyboard disconnected

Bryce

Then the AY-3-8912 sound chip is most likely faulty.

Bryce.

Dagger

Ok thank you, it was a spare any way so will use it for spares. Repairing is a bit beyond me as the chips are soldered in and I don't have the right tools. Sending for repair wouldn't be cost effective as working ones don't cost much.

Bryce

If you do ever want it fixed, I can recommend someone local (UK at least) who can fix it for you.

Bryce.

||C|-|E||

I can replace the chip in the motherboard if you have a new one around. I will have to check, but I probably have a socket for the new one in here  :)

Dagger

Don't think I have a spare chip but will have to double check that As I think there is another board up there

||C|-|E||

It should be a brand new chip, because otherwise it would be necessary to unsolder it from the first board   :) . It is possible, but for a chip like the one we are talking about, very common, definitely not worth it  :) .