News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 6128 Sound Issue

Started by n00b, 20:54, 27 April 16

Previous topic - Next topic

n00b

Hi there,

I have a problem with my CPC 6128.

There is almost no sound hearable - respectively only if I push the cursor up button some "fragments" can be heard. Could it be that the sound chip is faulty (because it is someway connected to the keyboard)?

Regards

TFM

Try to ....

- Clean the Volume wheel at the back of the computer

- Try to hear something with a 3.5mm stereo jack (same earphone you use in planes)

- Good luck!
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

khaz

Quote from: TFM on 22:50, 27 April 16- Try to hear something with a 3.5mm stereo jack (same earphone you use in planes)

Same earphones you use in everything, really :D It's probably the most ubiquitous plug there is, and you chose the plane example haha

There was another person here who had a very similar problem to yours. After more thorough testing, it seems their AY chip died. I hope it's not the case with yours.
CPC 6128 sound problems

Audronic

@n00b 

If you replace the AY-3-8912 Please make sure That it is an AY-3-8912 and NOT an AY-3-8912A

Good Luck   Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Bryce

The headphone test will tell you whether it's the AY or something else, as it's an almost direct connection to the AY (no amplifier or volume control in between).

Bryce.

P.s. Plane headphones are one of the only headphones that DON'T use the standard 3.5mm stereo jack. Most of them still use the 2x mono 3.5mm jack.

n00b

The headphone test comes to the same result (I have a SCART cable with a built-in headphone cable). So it is the AY?

Can I order a new one from ebay (something like that: 1PCS Programmable Sound Generator IC SOUND/GI DIP-28 AY-3-8912 AY3-8912 | eBay)?

SRS

Hi n00b, der sieht passend aus. Und ist ganz schön preiswert.

Ups . English forum - yes, looks like it would fit.

Bryce

Then it's definitely the AY. Yes, that's the correct part. Make sure you socket it too.

Bryce.

n00b

Yes. it was the AY.

THX again for your fast help!  ;)

minwah

I have a CPC with the exact same problem. I was fiddling around with the joystick port back in the day (making a 'virtual glove') which caused it.

I used to put a weight on the up arrow as it made the sound ok. Not 100% right but almost.

n00b

And why don't you fix it correctly?  :P

minwah

Quote from: n00b on 17:06, 01 May 16
And why don't you fix it correctly?  :P

Well...now I know almost certainly what the solution is, I probably will!