News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC6128 DOA - DODO

Started by Vyper68, 13:56, 12 December 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Vyper68

Hi
I have just invested in a CPC6128 off eBay and was sold as working when last used in 1990 and i bought it on that basis. I got it last night gave it a clean and fired it up today when the 12V PSU arrived and nada - no power LED nothing and it PSU's do work i use the 5V on my 464 and i have no reason to think the 12V is not working. I can see no obvious damage on the PCB and the 5V socket looks OK.
Any ideas where to look before i try and send it back - ( surprise, surprise he says no )
Paul Woakes - Genius & Programmer

Thank you for Mercenary Paul

Bryce

Clean the power sockets and the contacts of the power switch.

Bryce.

robcfg

Even without the 12v psu, you should be able to boot the machine.

The 12v are for the disk drive.

Please check the psu polarity and don't feed 12v into the 5v socket!

Vyper68

Quote from: Bryce on 14:01, 12 December 17
Clean the power sockets and the contacts of the power switch.

Bryce.

Thanks for your suggestion Bryce it was the contacts on the power switch - i cleaned them even though they only looked a little tarnished and Bingo!!! - It Booted

Vyper68

Now i have this working is there any diagnostic tools to test the the basics like on a +2 Spectrum? like RAM etc

tjohnson

Quote from: Vyper68 on 15:31, 12 December 17
Now i have this working is there any diagnostic tools to test the the basics like on a +2 Spectrum? like RAM etc
Fit a new drive belt then load a game that would be a good diagnostic.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Skunkfish

Quote from: tjohnson on 19:33, 12 December 17
Fit a new drive belt then load a game that would be a good diagnostic.

Seconded. Don't even try and use the drive until replacing the belt, the old one would likely disintegrate.
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

Vyper68

Quote from: Skunkfish on 12:07, 14 December 17
Seconded. Don't even try and use the drive until replacing the belt, the old one would likely disintegrate.

I am waiting for one 3" Belt and a pin ( just in case ) so i can sort that out fairly easily. Rightly or wrongly I have bought one of the MiniHxC USB Drives off SMR to use as the main drive and save the real one for special occasions.

Vyper68

I fitted the new belt which is just as well as the old one was a lump of goo wedged around the capstan. Running nice and smooth now and the CPM disks run OK - So all good. :D