News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

DD-1 on CPC 6128 PLUS?

Started by francouai, 14:38, 04 January 18

Previous topic - Next topic

francouai

Hello!
I have a 6128 PLUS with internal GOTEK drive as "A"
I'd like to use my AMSTRAD DD-1 External Drive as "B".

DD1 is EDGE and my PLUS is CENTRONICS.  :picard:
I opened the EDGE interface and it is full for electronics inside so I don't think a straight cable from CENDRONICS to 34 PIN (back of the DD-1) will works.

Any solution?
--
francois

Bryce

That won't work. The DDI-1 is a floppy controller, so you would have two floppy controllers in parallel with each other. You need to get a cable to connect your FD-1 directly to the smaller Centronics connector behind the drive (without using the DDI-1 at all) and it will then act as B:.

Bryce.

Chinnery

The DDI-1 was both the controller and the drive. the FD1 drive was identical to the DDI-1 drive. You should be able to unplug the DDI-1 interface from the drive at the drive's side - the interface is not needed in your situation

One thing to make note of - before plugging the drive anywhere, open it up and disconnect the power that goes back to the ribbon cable - it WILL fry your 6128+.... I know. I did it.  :doh:

francouai

Thanks guys for your quick reply.
And huge thank you about pointing the 5volts connector!

One of my friend will make me a CENTRONICS to 34pins ribbon cable this week, so I'll be able to play/test middle of next week.
--
francois

||C|-|E||

Quote from: Chinnery on 16:50, 04 January 18One thing to make note of - before plugging the drive anywhere, open it up and disconnect the power that goes back to the ribbon cable - it WILL fry your 6128+.... I know. I did it.  :doh:

Solid advise that one... particularly with the Plus models.

On the other hand, I have a FD1 connected to my modded 464 Plus and it actually works very well  :)

francouai

just received the ribbon cable bought on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/232710122074?ViewItem=&item=232710122074

All connected on plus 6128 CPC PLUS.
but it doesn't works..
look like I'm getting a conflict with the Gotek (HXC) on the Drive A.
When I'm entering |B then CAT, I'm getting the famous |CPM error message.

If I disconnect the Gotek from the CPC, the external drive works at least fine.
I'm wondering if there is jumper issue on my Gotek drive.
--
francois

Duke

Quote from: francouai on 19:35, 28 March 18

If I disconnect the Gotek from the CPC, the external drive works at least fine.
I'm wondering if there is jumper issue on my Gotek drive.

Could be, there should be  a jumper on S0 inside the gotek,  and not S1.

francouai

According to google, looks like there is some PIN to remove or swap on the CENTRONICS connector.

Let me try to explain my config;
I have a CPC 6128 PLUS and I removed the internal floppy drive and replace it by a ZAXON HXC drive ( Polish gotek clone).
I have a FD-1 external drive and I wanted to transfer .DSK files from the HXC drive (|A) to real floppy disk (|B).
I used this Centronics/floppy ribbon cable, but I'm getting a READ ERROR when I do "|B" and "CAT".
The famous CPM horrible noise and "R/I/C".
I don't have any specific jumper on this ZAXON drive.
--
francois

tjohnson

Disconnect the internal hxc drive and try it again

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk