News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Does anyone have more information on 6 MHz CPC?

Started by ukmarkh, 23:55, 14 February 16

Previous topic - Next topic

1024MAK

A better way of wording it is:-
You CPC may work with the higher speed crystal if the rest of the ICs are able to operate at this speed.

It would not be hard to work out if the DRAM chips are suitable, as the access time is in published data sheets. With the custom Amstrad ICs, it is rather harder to judge.

Mark
Looking forward to summer in Somerset :-)

TFM

Quote from: gerald on 19:36, 16 February 16
2. TFM added this 16% or 50 % rather than correct it to 50%. And he is saying that he did not make this change (or play foul to elude that fact that he overreact to any comment on his work)

Stop lying around! Fano added that! As great as your hardware is, as small your social skills are. Proof here:

Difference between revisions of "6 MHz CPC" - CPCWiki
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

1024MAK

Quote from: gerald on 19:36, 16 February 16
It's 50% or nothing (ie crash). And crash will be visible quite soon.
Symptoms of the hardware not being happy are more likely failure to properly intialise to the start up screen.
Or symptoms similar to a RAM fault.

Mark

TFM

Quote from: 1024MAK on 19:47, 16 February 16
Symptoms of the hardware not being happy are more likely failure to properly intialise to the start up screen.
Or symptoms similar to a RAM fault.

Mark

Exactly, that's my personal experience too.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

1024MAK

And does it really matter who edited the wiki?

IMHO, it's more important to correct it. Not to argue about it.

Mark

gerald

Quote from: TFM on 19:45, 16 February 16

Stop lying around! Fano added that! As great as your hardware is, as small your social skills are. Proof here:

Difference between revisions of "6 MHz CPC" - CPCWiki
please define "that",
I cannot see anything that looks like "Some CPCs (manufactured with fast DRAMs)show a increase speed by 50%" in this link ....

andycadley

One day I'm going to get everyone from this forum into a room and we're all going to have a group hug. One that lasts just ever so slightly too long to be comfortable.

Just sayin'

SRS

Quote from: andycadley on 20:36, 16 February 16
One day I'm going to get everyone from this forum into a room and we're all going to have a group hug. One that lasts just ever so slightly too long to be comfortable.

Just sayin'

I'll stay outside and watch that all inside make their kindergarten-diploma before leaving ...  By the power of Greyskull!

BTW: is this c64 or cpc palette ? *lol*

Docent

Quote from: gerald on 20:03, 16 February 16
please define "that",
I cannot see anything that looks like "Some CPCs (manufactured with fast DRAMs)show a increase speed by 50%" in this link ....
This is the correct link: Difference between revisions of "6 MHz CPC" - CPCWiki

SRS

From my point of view ...

TFM wrote the "some ... 50%", which is correct. 16,x% was from Fano. Which seems not correct to most of us.

Either it is 50% or it crashes.

So if you define SOME as 0,1 to 100 %, it is correct.PulkoMandystated this earlier. SOME will work 50% faster, SOME will crash. NO ONE will work at 16,6xxx ... until you proof it.

No reason to get picky on each other ... go back to lab and gimme a 4 GHz CPC !

SO - delete "fast DRAM" and "16,xx" from WIKI and the text will be more correct

TFM

Quote from: SRS on 22:39, 16 February 16
From my point of view ...

TFM wrote the "some ... 50%", which is correct. 16,x% was from Fano. Which seems not correct to most of us.

Either it is 50% or it crashes.

So if you define SOME as 0,1 to 100 %, it is correct.PulkoMandystated this earlier. SOME will work 50% faster, SOME will crash. NO ONE will work at 16,6xxx ... until you proof it.

No reason to get picky on each other ... go back to lab and gimme a 4 GHz CPC !

SO - delete "fast DRAM" and "16,xx" from WIKI and the text will be more correct

That's absolutely right. And I got no idea if different CPCs used different RAM chips or not, it may be one issue, the GA or CRTC may be another one. Ok, working on the 4 GHz CPC now... tell you first results in 2086 or so.  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft

ukmarkh

I'm sure if we all met for a beer, we'd laff about all this, and design a super CPC  :laugh:

gerald

Quote from: SRS on 22:39, 16 February 16
No, TFM changed
This speed improvement is 16.66667%.This has been tested with this simple program
to

Some CPCs (manufactured with fast DRAMs) show a increase of speed by 50% (verified with at least one CPC6128 produced 1987).
In case of the older DRAM type the speed improvement is only 16.7%

While he should have just change to
This speed improvement is 50%.This has been tested with this simple program (verified with one CPC6128)

Everything else is just wrong.
And this section is not discussing the success rate of the modification.

Quote from: TFM on 22:48, 16 February 16
And I got no idea if different CPCs used different RAM chips or not, it may be one issue, the GA or CRTC may be another one.
You got no idea, but by stating that it gives 50% more speed on CPC with faster DRAM and also stating that slower DRAM will result in less performance gain, you just build a theory to explain why fano get on 17% :
- my cpc has fast DRAM and can run 50%. Fano only get 17% so he must have slower DRAM.

CPC use 200ns / 150ns or even 120ns, but you can check on the motherboard page that the speed in not function of production year.
150ns can be found on early 464 as well as pre-asic 6128. 120ns is mainly use on the plus range.

Now, let fix that page do something more interesting  ;)

SRS

While he should have just change to
This speed improvement is 50%.This has been tested with this simple program (verified with one CPC6128)

Well, is there NO WIKI-Admin that could change it , now ?

TFM

What I changed happened in agreement with others back the day. I'm not just deleting a value which I can not prove right or wrong. Please everybody feel free to improve the article.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft