News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Image staying on screen slightly

Started by geebus, 14:52, 30 November 18

Previous topic - Next topic

geebus

Hi all, I'm new here and hoping to pick your brains.

I just bought a 464 on ebay and it came with no monitor, but a scart connection instead.
I turned it on and put it on my tv, loaded a game and noticed that the screen quality was rather poor. Assuming thats just the scart output?
Anyway! after playing one of the games (Rampage) and restarting the CPC, I noticed that there was still a faint display of the game on screen.
Anyone heard of this before? is it a common problem or is it due to the scart connection? seems a bit weird. It's not burned onto the TV thankfully, as It's not there if i change the input of the TV.

pacomix

If you can't put a little video showing the effect I guess it is hard to imagine what's going on. I would suggest you investigate a bit on image's configuration of your TV since modern ones have a lot of processing applied to the used input. Search for GAME mode or PC mode.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

geebus

Hi, thanks. I was at work when I posted that. I'll try get a picture later of it.I tried to use game mode on the TV, didn't make much difference. I'll try it again.

pelrun

It's probably the anti-burn-in function modern LCD TV's have - they slowly capture an average picture and mix in the inverse with the current image. It isn't generally noticeable with ordinary TV content, but something like the CPC display with large areas of flat colour and high contrast makes it stand out. Switching inputs would clear the buffer, which is why the ghosting disappeared then.

Unfortunately it's generally not something that can be disabled, but it's not indicative of damage - it's just annoying. So you'll probably have to live with it or try a different screen.

geebus

Thanks @pelrun . It disappears if i change to a different input, but as soon as I got back to the input for the CPC, it's still there. The good lady is watching the TV at the moment so I can test it out for a photo. I will do at some point though!

Audronic

@geebus

Perhaps the TV has " Frame store " ??
Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

geebus

Hopefully you can see it  in my terrible picture that I attached.

kastrioth

I just found this thread with same problem:

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/new-'active'-scart-cable-solves-'ghost-shadow'-image-problem-on-tft-monitor/

It seems you have 2 problems, burn in and ghosting from scart cable.
K.H

geebus

Thanks @kastrioth I'll have a good read over whats on that link.
Appreciate the help everyone.

geebus

Hi all. Just thought id mention that I got my new active scart cable and it seems to have solved my problem.Thanks for the help!

kastrioth

K.H

geebus

Thought i'd update this further. The image still tends to "burn in" but the screens sharpness is much better with the active scart.
Not sure how to get rid of the "burn in"