News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Keyboard Failure

Started by Dagger, 12:42, 16 February 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Dagger

Another one of my 464's now has a keyboard problem. I was using it early this week for 2 evenings, loading games etc and then all of sudden with out warning the keyboard stopped functioning. Cannot get any response from it at all. Holding the del key in on startup produces no sound. Try another keyboard to no avail. Would this be another ay chip failure?
Life's a bitch. You marry one or two then you die !

Bryce

Sounds like it.

Bryce.

Dagger

Damn, that's 2 boards I have now with that chip failure  :(

Bryce

Have you by any chance been connecting some wierd non-Atari compatible joysticks to the CPCs? It would be very strange to have two AY failures in different machines in such a short space of time. The other possibility is that static discharge through the joystick port caused the issue. Are you using the computers wearing wooly socks that Grandma knit for you on a deep pile carpet?

If you send me the PCBs I'll repair them for you.

Bryce.

||C|-|E||

If you are sure that we are talking about the AYs I can also replace the chips for you in here  :) . We just need a couple of new ICs and the sockets (and it is very possible that I even have sockets at home) and we should be good to go soon enough. However, if you are not completely sure, sending the boards to Bryce is the best thing you can do, they will get repaired not matter the problem  :D

Dagger

I only use normal joysticks. The one that failed earlier in the week was playing fine with my joystick and then suddenly went. The other one was bought of the bay like it as I wanted the games that came with it. How much Bryce are the repairs going to cost as I think I might have another board somewhere that seems to be dead although some voltage is showing on the chips?