News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Keyboard Fault - 464 - Fault finding.

Started by chinnyhill10, 01:10, 18 March 18

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

Just want to run this past you guys. As I have meant mentioned elsewhere I picked up a very cheap AZERTY 464. Chips and serial indicate 1989 but oddly case has a 1988 moulding.

Didn't turn on but soon fixed that (usual power switch fix). Came on and it became apparent the spacebar was faulty. Took out membrane and gave it a clean. Now the spacebar works but the other keys act as if shift is pressed down except if I press either of the shifts they still work but do the opposite of normal.

Something jammed down still? Give the membrane another clean? Anyone have any tips?

Cheers.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Bryce

That's a weird one! Do both shift keys do this? Have you definitely put the metal bars back on properly (if you removed them)?
Try removing the key caps from the shift buttons and see if it still happens. Also check that you didn't mis-align or trap the membrane anywhere when you re-installed.

Shift shares a column with: A, D, F, J, K, *, 1 and 3   and a row with CLR, [, Enter, ], 4, \ and Cntrl. Are all of these keys working correctly?

Bryce.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Bryce on 09:01, 19 March 18
That's a weird one! Do both shift keys do this? Have you definitely put the metal bars back on properly (if you removed them)?
Try removing the key caps from the shift buttons and see if it still happens. Also check that you didn't mis-align or trap the membrane anywhere when you re-installed.

Shift shares a column with: A, D, F, J, K, *, 1 and 3   and a row with CLR, [, Enter, ], 4, \ and Cntrl. Are all of these keys working correctly?

Bryce.

I'll give it a go at the weekend. Something isn't right. Haven't removed the metal bars for shift, only the space key (which now works fine). Thanks.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Vyper68

Are the membranes for AZERTY keyboards the same layout as QWERTY keyboards and the decoding of the matrix done by hardware??? - Just wondering if someone has cobbled together a machine to flog on eBay.
Paul Woakes - Genius & Programmer

Thank you for Mercenary Paul

Bryce

The membranes are the same no matter what language the computer uses. The differences are only in the firmware in the lower ROM and the symbols printed on the key tops.

Bryce.

Vyper68

Quote from: Bryce on 08:47, 21 March 18
The membranes are the same no matter what language the computer uses. The differences are only in the firmware in the lower ROM and the symbols printed on the key tops.

Bryce.

I thought that would be the case but i have Zero scooby-doo when it comes to French AZERTY spec computers.
Paul Woakes - Genius & Programmer

Thank you for Mercenary Paul