News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC Video Capture

Started by ComSoft6128, 10:42, 31 July 18

Previous topic - Next topic

ComSoft6128

Hi all,

Looking for your input, experience and advice.

I am looking at making a few CPC vids.

My specifications are:

1. To capture video from the CPC (AVI/MP4?) at a quality level suitable for Youtube.     
I.E. Mode 2 text must be easy to read with the correct colours displayed.

2. An audio-in component for real time narration via microphone.

3. Volume control for the above.

4. Brilliance control - the colour scheme for one piece of ROM software that I use is much       darker than the rest and requires me to turn up the control on the monitor each time I use it.

5. External PSU.

6. Storage via USB port.

7. Idiot (I.E. Me) proof and easy to use - no complex menu or controls required - in fact the only real controls required are RECORD PAUSE and STOP.

So am I looking at buying off the shelf hardware or exploring the option of asking someone on the Wiki to build a dedicated CPC (CPC only) video capture device?

The Budget for this is a fixed £500.
Are the above options possible on this budget?

Thanks,

Peter

rpalmer

Peter,
If the CPC screen output is via a RGB/composite signal conversion (just google "RGB to HDMI") to a current LCD, then a RGB/composite to HDMI converter can be used with existing capture cards in a PC to get what you might need.
I am not sure about quality, but many retro-youtubers have been doing just that and the results seem okay.
rpalmer

ComSoft6128

Thanks for the reply rpalmer,

I am using a 6128 Plus with the original monitor but I am not looking at using any of the Plus enhancements.

Cheers,

Peter

ASiC

Hi Peter,

Probably you'll be needing an upscaler or line doubbler such as OSSC https://www.videogameperfection.com/products/open-source-converter/ to be able to get the best possible quality.A cheaper alternative would be something like this:RGB to VGA Converter https://goo.gl/zkXGw5
I was planning to use one of them inside the broken tv modulator you've sent me a few months ago, but couldn't find the time.Thus I cannot vouch for its quality.
If your budget allows it, I'd personally go for the OSSC.
But please keep in mind it won't play nice with a few hardware scoll tricks used on recent games.

Cheers,
Dimitris

ComSoft6128

Thanks Dimitris,

The OSSC looks interesting and affordable. Poliander has a thread in the Wiki on it, using it with the Elgato capture card.
I plan on making videos using pre 95 Rom and disc software so hardware scrolling will not apply.
Do you know if it will accept audio input via microphone and is it possible to adjust the brilliance?

Cheers,

Peter

ASiC

On the revision 1.6 boards, they added an audio line input but I don't think it will be suitable for a mic.Yes, various image options can be adjusted from the device's menu and brilliance/brightness is one of them.
http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=OSSC
It's a very capable little device that I'll definitely get my hands on at some point :)

Bryce

If they did it properly (and I assume they did), then you can connect the CPC audio out directly to the audio in on the OSSC. If you want a mic too, you'd have to use a small mixer between the CPC and OSSC.

Bryce.

ComSoft6128

Thanks for the tip Bryce,

Would defeat the purpose of the Vids if there was no narration.
DES, Protext and Parados Etc are not known for their sound effects :D

Cheers,

Peter

Bryce

No, but some prefer to add the audio later on their PC.

Bryce.

ComSoft6128

Can anyone recommend an audio mixer?

Cheers,

Peter

ComSoft6128

Thank you ASiC,

That would seem to do everything required and is also a nice looking piece of kit.

Cheers,

Peter

ASiC

Hi Peter,

I've used quite a few Behringer products (midi keyboards and controllers, monitor speakers, sound mixers, amps, effectors...) and never had any issues with them.Their build quality is not up there with, for example, yamaha mixers or jbl amps but for home and semi-professional usage, they are great.

Cheers,
Dimitris

mr_lou

I also spent a lot of time researching for the proper equipment for recording the videos I wanted to include in 8-bit Memoirs.

I ended up buying an XRGB-mini Framemeister and a Hauppauge HD-PVR Rocket standalone recorder.

The Amstrad CPC signal then went into the XRGB-mini Framemeister, which took the 288p@50,08hz and converted it to 720p@50hz. The XRGB-mini Framemeister also allowed me to zoom and crop the image, so that I'm actually cutting the edges of the frame in order to get a real 1:3 size ratio. I.e. the 288p are multiplied by 3 = 864p, but then I cut off 72 pixels at the top and at the bottom. This lets me keep the crispy pixel-image.
This does require some time to set up, but it's totally worth it.

The Hauppauge HD-PVR Rocket has a single button that you press when you want to record, and press again when you want to stop recording. It records onto whatever USB device you plug into it. It's very nice. It also has a microphone plug, so you can record your voice while recording the video, and there's an input-level setting too.

The XRGB-Framemeister is awesome because it converts the 50,08 hz CPC output to a straight 50 fps video, which made it compatible with Blu-ray. Unfortunately, this also means that the audio won't match. So some post work is necessary: Count the number of frames in the video. Divide it with 50. That's how many seconds and milliseconds long the audio must be. Now load the audio into Audacity and chance the length of the audio to match those seconds and milliseconds.

And finally, I ran an FFMPEG command to apply an Amstrad CPC monitor filter, but you're probably not looking for something like that.  :)

ComSoft6128

Thanks mr_lou,

The Hauppauge looks ideal.
The problem with audio sync using the Frameister removes that device as an option.
Post processing of any description is not viable as I don't have the time for this.

However, has anyone used the Hauppauge with the OSSC?
Is there any reason this combination would not be compatible?

Cheers,

Peter

mr_lou

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 04:47, 02 August 18The Hauppauge looks ideal.
The problem with audio sync using the Frameister removes that device as an option.

Come to think of it, I think the audio sync problem will also be there without the Framemeister.

When it comes to standalone recorders, you have many options. Elgato makes some too, and they seem to be very popular.

But as far as I understand, none of them supports all kinds of signals. Though they may be able to receive different kinds of input, such as RGB and Composite and HDMI, many of them will only handle certain input framerates. They detect the input and then select that framerate. So the 50,08hz will either be detected as 50fps, and then it will record a 50fps mp4, or else it just won't be able to identify the signal as a supported one. If it does work, you will thus still have the audio sync problem.

It's possible Elgato makes better devices that can handle more "exotic" frequencies. I haven't looked into this. I remember there were reasons for me choosing the Hauppauge over Elgato, but I don't remember what the reasons were.

ComSoft6128

The Haughppauge has a Mic in option, would this sync problem still apply?

Thanks,

Peter

mr_lou

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 05:35, 02 August 18The Haughppauge has a Mic in option, would this sync problem still apply?

Good question. I never used to mic-input. The sync issues I'm talking about is for the audio from the CPC. I imagine it would also apply to the mic though. But you probably wouldn't notice this, when it's just speak. It's much more noticeable when it is sound-effects that has to play at exact moments.

ComSoft6128

Thanks for all the help guys,

Now before I go ahead and purchase an OSSC and Haughppage HD DVR Rocket, can anyone think of any reason that these devices would not be compatible?

Cheers,

Peter

mr_lou

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 15:24, 02 August 18Now before I go ahead and purchase an OSSC and Haughppage HD DVR Rocket, can anyone think of any reason that these devices would not be compatible?

Only that there's a chance the Hauppauge won't recognize a 50,08hz signal, in which case it will blink red (as far as I remember).
What kind of output does the OSSC have?

Hang on for a while. I'll make a test with my CPC and Hauppage without Framemeister.
EDIT: No, I can't do such a test, because I lack a CPC -> RGB phono plugs cable to match the adapter for the Hauppauge Rocket.... So apperently I've never tried recording directly to the Hauppauge from the CPC.

ComSoft6128

mr_lou

Hm, well.
The OSSC seems to handle 288p fine. And it has HDMI out, which can go into the Hauppauge Rocket.

But I'm still in doubt how it'll handle the 50,08hz. Lemme see if I can pass it through the Framemeister (to get HDMI out) without fiddling with the frequency.....

EDIT: Hm, I can't find my PSU for my Framemeister.......  :-[

Bryce

Quote from: mr_lou on 16:00, 02 August 18
Hm, well.
The OSSC seems to handle 288p fine. And it has HDMI out, which can go into the Hauppauge Rocket.

But I'm still in doubt how it'll handle the 50,08hz. Lemme see if I can pass it through the Framemeister (to get HDMI out) without fiddling with the frequency.....

EDIT: Hm, I can't find my PSU for my Framemeister.......  :-[
If it can't properly handle 50,08Hz the most likely effect will be that the screen flickers every few seconds which would definitely not be acceptable for YT recordings. I have an LCD panel that does exactly this, very annoying.

Bryce.

mr_lou

Quote from: Bryce on 16:43, 02 August 18
If it can't properly handle 50,08Hz the most likely effect will be that the screen flickers every few seconds which would definitely not be acceptable for YT recordings. I have an LCD panel that does exactly this, very annoying.

Yes, that is how a monitor will react if connected directly. A recorder like the Hauppauge will just stop recording when it loses sync, resulting in some extremely short videos.

I know there are different firmware versions for the Hauppauge though, and I remember vaguely something about problems with one and better results with another. But it's been ages.
Meanwhile I'm going crazy looking for the PSU for the Framemeister. I don't have many places for these things. It's weird I can't find it.

ASiC

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 15:24, 02 August 18
Thanks for all the help guys,

Now before I go ahead and purchase an OSSC and Haughppage HD DVR Rocket, can anyone think of any reason that these devices would not be compatible?

Cheers,

Peter
Hi Peter,

The issue (if there's going to be one) I'd say it would come from the capture hardware.OSSC, doesn't do any frame post processing. It just adds lines to ramp-up the resolution.

On this discussion, it seems like OSSC will display 50.08hz signal, no problem.
https://www.videogameperfection.com/forums/topic/problem-displaying-atari-jaguar-pal/

Regards,
Dimitris