News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Problem getting 464 to work on a TV.

Started by Mattdev, 17:34, 06 April 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

In that case the TV shouldn't switch off, may the TV really does have an issue. Have you tried connecting a DVD player or something to the TVs SCART and see if it switches off even when a DVD is playing?

Bryce.

Mattdev

Not yet no, but will try this as well.  At least I can rule that TV out now though, thanks  :D

1024MAK

The big problem is that although SCART is suppose to be a "simple to use" system, it is not!

SCART can carry one of three types of signal (composite video, RGB component video, or S-Video). Back when the 8 bit computers first came out in the early and mid 1980's, most UK 14 inch TVs did not have a SCART connector. And even when they did, you have to manually select which input you wanted (composite video, RGB component video, or S-Video) using either a front panel button or a button in the remote control.

Modern TVs (since around the early to mid 1990's) however often have automatic switching input circuits. These use the voltage on some pins of the SCART connector to tell the TV what signal is to be selected. But the 8 bit (and 16 bit) computers don't produce the correct voltages. Hence the TV becomes confused...

Mark
Looking forward to summer in Somerset :-)

Mattdev

Yes Mark it's an absolute nightmare!

Anyway, I went down to the second hand shop where I purchased the old 14" Alba CRT yesterday and this time I took my 464 with me.  The owner was great as she let me test out the 464 with all the CRT's they had for sale.  They probably had about 5-6 including some with built in VHS players! 

The first one I tried was a 14" Bush CRT which did not work and gave me the same flashing picture that I had with the Toshiba one.  The next one I tried was a blue Orion 14" CRT.  This one worked straight away!  I loaded up a game just to make sure and lo and behold the picture looked as good as on the CTM-640.  I swapped the Toshiba for the Orion, which was only £10 and have just given it a clean up and am now loading up some games!

The only thing I have noticed is that in the top right hand corner of the screen the channel number won't go off.  You can see in the pictures that there is a 0 there.  For now though I don't give a monkeys to be honest and am just happy that I can now get on with using the computer again!

Many thanks to everyone on here for your help, I really appreciate it. 

If anyone knows how/if I can get rid of the 0 then great but I'm not going to stress about it for now!   :)

Cheers,
Matt  :D

Here are some pics:

arnoldemu

Amstrad monitor uses an Orion tube.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Mattdev

Oh really!  That is very interesting because just sitting here using it the picture looks very much the CTM-640.  I just hope this Orion can last a good few years!
As a result just found this page :  Orion - CPCWiki

Matt

||C|-|E||

I do not actually know if your TV has the same tube of an Amstrad screen, but I found this picture of an opened Orion 14" CRT and in this particular model the tube, yoke, flyback etc. look really almost the same than in an Amstrad CM-14. This could explain that you see something that is very close to the image of an actual Amstrad monitor in your TV :)

[attachimg=1]

Mattdev

Brilliant, great picture!  Also, the 14" size and feel is a lot more like the original machine than using an LED TV anyway, so I'm more than happy now with my Orion!  :)

||C|-|E||

1024MAK

On some TVs, pressing the channel information button toggles the on screen channel number on/off.
The external input is sometimes "channel 0".

This function may of course, only be available on the remote control... But also look under the tuning flap (if there is one). Failing that, see if you can download the TV manual by using the model number to search using a well known search engine.

Some TVs work with universal remote controls, and the more complex remotes include many of the auxiliary functions.

Mark
Looking forward to summer in Somerset :-)

Mattdev

That's great info, thanks Mark.  The TV had no remote but I will try the other things you suggest. 

Matt

CanonMan

Quote from: arnoldemu on 17:36, 07 April 16
Amstrad monitor uses an Orion tube.

The Amstrad monitors were built by Orion, which explains a lot!

Mattdev

Glad to be using something so closely connected to Amstrad!

SRS

If it does not work on a TV maybe position it before TV ?  :picard:

:)

I had to use Channel 0 and switch it to "AV"-mode to get my CPC working on my old UNIVERSUM CRT TV ... which is fun for CPC gaming.

khaz

Quote from: Mattdev on 19:28, 07 April 16
That's great info, thanks Mark.  The TV had no remote but I will try the other things you suggest. 

Matt

Try to find either the original remote or a universal one, often most of the more advanced calibration cannot be done without it. I'm sure you can find the user manual for it online which would explain how to get rid of the channel number. If you can also find the service manual it would be cool, should you ever want to mess with the geometry.

Bryce

There's usually a setting called OSD Timeout which sets how long the 0 is displayed, but you probably need the remote to navigate the settings menu.

Bryce.

CraigsBar

Quote from: CanonMan on 21:41, 06 April 16

"scary lead"

My favourite typo ever [emoji23]
Phone corrective text. Scart gets me all the time too.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Mattdev

Thanks for the info.  I will let you know how ai get on with the remote etc.
Matt

seanb

If you have a smart phone you could try one of the many universal remote apps first for free.

You might have to try a few but I've some good success before using them.
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

Mattdev

Brilliant, thanks Sean.  I'll have a look on my iphone.
Cheers,
Matt