News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Question about stupidity!

Started by CraigsBar, 11:22, 23 January 19

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigsBar

OK, so here goes with a hypothetical question..

Suppose for a moment that a hypothetical person, we'll call him Hraig Carrison, confused 2 hypothetical power leads draped accross his hypothetical bench.

He then hypothetically connected his 9v gx4000 supply to his 6128plus. This he hypothetically noticed had killed the upper bank of 64k.

Is there any thing else he should be looking at replacing other than the 2 dead 41464 ic's?

Everything that used only 64k works fine so it seems that this hypothetical situation could have been much worse.

Thanks,
Craig
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Bryce

This hypothetical numb-nuts known as Hraig can count his lucky stars that it was only 9V and the polarity was correct and that so many of the ASIC signals include resistors that would limit the current in a situation like this. Otherwise he'd be looking at a non-repairable heap of junk.

If it's the Hraig I'm thinking of, the upper 64K are socketed in this particular machine because it started life as a 464+, so the damage is as little as he could possibly hope for.

And to answer the hypothetical question: If it boots to 64K and you have a working disk, sound, picture and keyboard, then there's nothing else he would need to do (other than labelling the power leads to avoid future mishaps).

Bryce.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Bryce on 13:24, 23 January 19
This hypothetical numb-nuts known as Hraig can count his lucky stars that it was only 9V and the polarity was correct and that so many of the ASIC signals include resistors that would limit the current in a situation like this. Otherwise he'd be looking at a non-repairable heap of junk.

If it's the Hraig I'm thinking of, the upper 64K are socketed in this particular machine because it started life as a 464+, so the damage is as little as he could possibly hope for.

And to answer the hypothetical question: If it boots to 64K and you have a working disk, sound, picture and keyboard, then there's nothing else he would need to do (other than labelling the power leads to avoid future mishaps).

Bryce.
thanks Dr Bryce,

That is what I hoped. This is Hraigs original 6128plus so the chips are not socketed in this case. He will hypothetically remove bank 2 socket and replace the chips.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

VincentGR

I hope for a hypothetical solution.

robcfg

Yes, please keep us hypotheticaly posted!  ;)

Gryzor

Hypothetically I'm typing this within a reasonable timeframe to ask what happened next.