News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Questions about CPC 464

Started by Smeek, 15:43, 25 October 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Smeek

Heya everyone!

My first time in here  ;)

I got 2 cpc 464. One has the bigger mainboard so I take its the older version of the two. Mainboard fits almost entirely inside the case.
This one I can power up and cassette deck works and loads up games. But it to often after the game logo shows up goes back to the main
"power on" screen (ready). Why is this happening? Ive only changed to new rubber belts for the cassette deck. Its properly cleaned aswell.

The other cpc 464 have to be a bit newer because the mainboard inside the case is only half the size of the other cpc. The thing with this one
is the cassette deck can fast forward, rewind but play aint working even tho ive changed rubber belts in this one too. Maybe you guys have any idea?

Last question. Is it possible to switch mainboards between these two cpc´s? Or will something be damaged? Im thinking maybe the newer mainbord
works better then the old one?

I hope You can give me some advice!

//Smeek

gerald

Quote from: Smeek on 15:43, 25 October 17
The other cpc 464 have to be a bit newer because the mainboard inside the case is only half the size of the other cpc. The thing with this one
is the cassette deck can fast forward, rewind but play aint working even tho ive changed rubber belts in this one too. Maybe you guys have any idea?
Can you hear the tape motor relay clicking when you enter the run" command and press a key ?
If not the driving transistor may be dead.

Quote from: Smeek on 15:43, 25 October 17
Last question. Is it possible to switch mainboards between these two cpc´s? Or will something be damaged? Im thinking maybe the newer mainbord
works better then the old one?
No, you cannot swap the motherboard.
The opening for the joystick are on the back on the early CPC and on the left side on the newer ones. Even the 2 last revision cannot be swapped because they have a smaller spacing between the joystick and sound connectors.

Smeek

Thanks for the answer. Cant remember hearing any sound from the tape at all when using that run command. I will check more tomorrow.

What can be the issue with the games just loading up and suddenly im back at the main screen again? To old tapes? I can hear a click sound
when a game starts to load up properly.

//Smeek

arnoldemu

Quote from: Smeek on 19:33, 25 October 17
Thanks for the answer. Cant remember hearing any sound from the tape at all when using that run command. I will check more tomorrow.

What can be the issue with the games just loading up and suddenly im back at the main screen again? To old tapes? I can hear a click sound
when a game starts to load up properly.

//Smeek
I think the tape loader detected an error.

The OS tape loader has blocks, and will report an error and then you can rewind and try again.
On fastloaders if they detect an error they will do a soft reset and that is back to the screen you see.

When your tape player is working better you can listen to the sound and adjust the little screw (azimuth) to make the sound louder and clear. When the sound is louder and clear then the tape will load more reliably.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Bryce

Computer numbr one: Either the tapes are dodgy, or the tape head needs to be aligned.
Computer number two: There's a leaf switch on the PCB that's aligned with the play key rod. If you've swapped the belt, then you have unscrewed the PCB. Did you re-align the switch afterwards? Is it bent out of place or jammed beside the metal rod?

Bryce.

Smeek

I have not aligned the tape heads. Any good easy way to do this?

Bryce

There's lots of fancy ways to do it with the aid of standardised tapes and an oscilloscope. But a screwdriver and a good ear is sufficient too.

Bryce.

Smeek

Im gonna try the alignment later. Right now I found out why the cassete deck "play" cpc nr 2 didnt work.
Its becasue the 2 small and thin rods or whatever they are called arent sticking together. I mean those thats
just infront/above of the play button which have 2 solderings above. Hard to explain but its working now  :D

And as I wrote earlier I will align it later not now. Im just happy I works.

Bryce

Quote from: Smeek on 13:17, 27 October 17
the 2 small and thin rods or whatever they are called arent sticking together. I mean those thats
just infront/above of the play button which have 2 solderings above. Hard to explain but its working now  :D

That's the leaf switch I mentioned above.

Bryce.

Smeek

Aah ok, sry didnt understand that at first. Im no good technician like this but its fun to learn.
Thanks alot for the help!