News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

6128 tape help

Started by Sleazy, 17:55, 17 May 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Sleazy

This is probably obvious but my google-fu is letting me down.

I've just bought the leads to connect a tape recorder to my 6128. The ear, rem and mic leads are all connected and I have had the 6128 start the tape however there is no reaction.

The tape is turning however I can't hear anything (if I unplug ear then I can hear the sounds coming from the recorder)

The 6128 is still sat there displaying "press play on tape"

I've tried 2 tape recorders with the same result.  Any ideas??

pelrun

Maybe the cable is miswired. Have you tried swapping the ear and mic connectors?

Bryce

The Plus machines don't make the same loading sounds like a classic CPC, they just silently load.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Quote from: Bryce on 08:48, 18 May 16
The Plus machines don't make the same loading sounds like a classic CPC, they just silently load.

Bryce.

More's the pity :(

||C|-|E||

The sound was definitely useful back in the days when a tape did not load properly (something that was quite common with my 6128 and the external player)  :) There were brands and brands of tapes, though. I remember that Dinamic tapes, or Topo, were always loading; however, everything produced by Dro Soft was problematic in my hands. I am talking about original games, not copies. In fact, I had to return a copy of Wings of Fury because of that and it was traumatic, I loved the game  :'(

Audronic

Bryce.

Has anybody looked at adding components to the Plus machines to have some sound.
(I don't have any Plus Machines)
Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

dragon

Bryce.

My costdown output the sound of tapes  in the 6128 speaker at very very low volume. This happens in olders  6128¿ or is specify to the cost down?.

Bryce

All classic CPCs outputed the tape sounds to the speaker, although it wasn't really designed to do it, it's a side effect of the design. The plus machines don't pass the sound to the speaker at all. @Audronic : Yes, that would be possible, but no one has done it so far.

Bryce.

Audronic

@Bryce

I just had a look at the PLUS circuits and ?? they don't have a (small) Audio  Power amp in the unit or Speaker ??
the Only audio L/R is via the Video Plug .

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Bryce

Yes, the amplifier and speakers are in the monitor.

Bryce.

Sleazy

All sorted fellas. It was a faulty set of leads connecting the tape deck.

Got back in touch with Coolnovelties and they sent a new set and it's all loading perfectly.

Loved hearing Robocop speak now I have 128k to play with

remax

Quote from: dragon on 01:33, 19 May 16

My costdown output the sound of tapes  in the 6128 speaker at very very low volume. This happens in olders  6128¿ or is specify to the cost down?.

Mine too...

I've yet to try tape loading no that i've changed the mobo to a CRTC1...
Brain Radioactivity

chinnyhill10

Quote from: remax on 18:04, 28 May 16

Mine too...

I've yet to try tape loading no that i've changed the mobo to a CRTC1...

My original 6128 from late 1985 did it, and my cost down and German unit also do it. Listen closely and you'll also hear noises when the computer is doing heavy processing. I seem to recall someone writing to ACU asking if it was normal and the response was that it was a feature!

Can't complain, that bleed through makes it easier to align the tape recorder on a 464. Tried doing that on a C64 or Atari 8 bit? You can get software that will help but what happens if you can't load the software!

Speccy +2 helpfully has an alignment utility built in. Very useful.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube