Trying to run Basic program files copied to PC on emulator

Started by gilesforrest, 16:15, 01 April 17

Previous topic - Next topic

gilesforrest

Hi all,

A long time ago I paid someone to transfer to PC some Basic programs and bitmaps I'd created in my youth which were stored on a few 3" disks - I think they emailed me the files in the end.

At the time I managed to convert (I can't remember how) most of the bitmaps into GIF which I was glad to do!

Now I still have the Basic programs which I recently thought I'd try run on an emulator, so I downloaded WinAPE but now I'm stuck on two things:
1) WinAPE doesn't appear to let you load files on a PC unless they are in specific disk/tape/cartridge image formats
2) It does seem to have "autotype" so I thought I could load one of the files that way, however when I open the saved Basic files on my PC (using TextPad) they come up in funny characters, see attached file (yes indeed, it is a guinea pig weight database!).
I was expecting just simple text and the familiar basic commands, so perhaps they are in some sort of ASCII that TextPad doesn't understand and need some conversion...or they are lost forever?

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks,

Giles

Fessor

Its because BASIC-Programs are per default saved in tokenized form and not as plain ASCII-Files.
You can take this file and add it to a disc-image via winapes disc-editor. uncheck "Add/Remove AMSDOS" headers before dropping the file on the window.

VincentGR

You can also use CPCDiskXP.
By selecting "DISK EDITOR" you can make your own disk images and add your files in.

gilesforrest

Great - got it all up and running - thanks!!