Roland in the Caves
A conversion of Indescomp's ZX Spectrum hit Bugaboo the Flea, Roland in the Caves was many a frustrated gameplayer's first encounter with Alan Sugar's machine thanks to its being bundled as a giveaway with the CPC464 in 1985.
You are far ahead in time, the year 2464 AD and your Space Time Machine has landed on an alien planet, and being of an inquisitive nature, you decide to explore it. You have been gifted with a special kind of power that aids you when you are exploring strange planets. You are able to mutate into the alien beings' form. On this mysterious planet of Ivorus, the beings are minute and flea-like with amazing jumping powers. However, during your exploration, you take an unexpected trip and fall down and down and down through a deep and dark pot hole into a strange cave. All around you are flesh-eating plants, not to mention a hungry pterodactyl......
You must elude these dangers, so utilise your jumping powers to ward off your enemies til you finally escape from the disatrous cave. No sooner are you safe, then disaster strikes again! Down you go again, but this time the flesh eating plants have multiplied and they don't want you to escape. Good luck!
When you eventually get out of the cave, the score is multiplied by a number which depends on the game skill level.
Screenshots & Videos
Re-releases and Compilations
Hints & Tips
(Courtesy of CPC Power)
- Hold Down SHIFT+A to progress to the next level.
- Also released on the ZX Spectrum as Bugaboo the Flea
- Part of the original CPC464 bundle - the twelve programmes given away by Amsoft with the machine.
- Released in Spain by Indescomp as La Pulga
- Allegedly suggested as a joke when being shown the game, Alan Sugar thought that the character should be renamed 'Roland' after lead 464 designer Roland Perry. He was taken at his word, Indescomp rebranded Roland in the Caves and one of their other launch titles (Fred) to incorporate the character - a mascot was born!