Hmm.. are there any applications for Future OS? And can i really add any device and it will be recommended by the system without any device driver? Unbelievable!! and much better than SymbOS then, isn't it? (Forgott to sign.. sorry.. but as i don't fear anything... here i am... Kangaroo MusiQue of HJT 07:59, 28 August 2006 (CEST)
- First you can't compare SymbOS and FutureOS. They're too different and therefore I use them both.
- Software for FutureOS is availabe in the Yahoo-Group, where you can download it.
- And yes, I try to support nearly all hardware for the CPC. Ok, some is still missing, but this will change soon I hope.
- About features: Ok, I haven't finished the new documentation in english. But if I look at other projects, I have to believe, so believe me too.
- That would only be fair.
- I have no time to explain the 126th time where some support function is. read the manual, the new version coming soon.
- Greets to all honest CPC sceners,
- Please try to keep your tone down. I'm letting this here as an example of what NOT to say. RTFM is NOT part of the language that will be tolerated here, if we want to keep a flame war out of our wiki; so please keep this in mind. And please don't jump to conclusions - several users still do not know about signing their entries! It seems to me the original poster was more positive than negative, so you could try and calmly answer to his questions, otherwise there's no reason in replying at all. This is NOT a debate room, and fights will NOT (NOT!) be welcome here. You do not need to be apologetic (as you are in a couple of points) about anything that FutureOS may be lacking, since it's a wonderful system anyhow, but also taking it to the other extreme doesn't exactly help things either.
- Best regards,
- Gryzor 16:02, 10 August 2006 (CEST)
- RTFM means Read The Futureos Manual, so where is the problem? That guy (without name) is allowed to vandalish my text? Why don't you stop him?
- Anyhow, and why don't talk about something other very unfair. At the left side, below "the present" there is a line for SymbOS, why not FutueOS. I would like to please you to insert that line.
- Can we please stop hiding behind our finger? We all know what RTFM means, so please drop it. I assume almost everyone here is of at least average IQ... As I said, this languages is NOT permitted on board. What's more, what do you mean about that guy being allowed to vandalise your text? What did he vandalise? What should I stop? I think there might be a big misunderstanding here... Anyhow, about the SIdebar, I don't think it's 'very unfair', as I've explained before. FutureOS may be indeed very, very nice a project and I find myself playing with it the whole time, but SymbOS, with the existing Symbiface, has long ago reached critical mass and is very impressive and popular, that's why it had its own link. This is NOT an issue of 'put my project up there along with the others', it's trying to organise things in a better way. In any case, the Sidebar was changed a lot, I'm going to look into it... Gryzor 08:16, 11 August 2006 (CEST)
- That's something, which came to my mind very often! We should change the "SymbOS" link in the left menu to "Operating Systems". Then we can have a list of OSs for the CPC there. It would be a better entry point! --Octoate 20:40, 10 August 2006 (CEST)
- Hm, I don't know. In this case you have to place all categories from the "serious software" articel in the sidebar. -- Prodatron 21:00, 10 August 2006 (CEST)
- Argh... ;) --Octoate 21:24, 10 August 2006 (CEST)
What's about respecting some rules?
As this is not Wikipedia but our own scene CPCWiki, I wouldn't like to force the articles to follow strict rules, but at least the following two rules should be respected by everyone:
- no advertisment-like phrases
- no false information
The following parts in this article should be removed and replaced in a section like "possible plans for the future":
- IDE support (mentioned several times, and first I mixed v8 with v9, but as it should only be a possible part of v9 [and now even v8 isn't released], it will not be implemented before 2007 or later, right?)
- CPC Booster support (you can't call an entry in the port monitor "support")
- Multi tasking (I couldn't find any references)
If I am wrong, and these features are already implemented in FutureOS and ready for download, please provide us a link.
Some other parts should also be removed:
- One-drive restriction of other OSs (nearly every OS can do this, even Amsdos allows drive letters in a path)
- Advertisment-like phrases (e.g. "FutureOS is for programmers who want to use the CPC at its limits" and other ones; these should be better placed on a homepage but not in a Wiki)
-- Prodatron 00:05, 9 August 2006 (CEST)
- I sense a scene fight coming on, I'm afraid... I do not wish to take any part in it, especially since I do not know anything about the common history of projects, but I hope it stays off the wiki!
- Well, in general it is quite easy to follow some necessary rules, so I am not afraid about fights. -- Prodatron 10:24, 9 August 2006 (CEST)
- I'll have to agree with some of Prodatron's remarks. The article needs heavy editing (I have altered several points myself, more is needed) so as to not appear as a commercial for FutureOS but more like an objective article. Also, at points it becomes more of a manual than an article on the OS itself.
- That said, even in Symbiface there was the phrase: It provides nearly everything you need to change your CPC into a powerful work station! which is more of the same :)
- Yes, that's right. I think someone just copied & pasted this from the homepage ;) -- Prodatron 10:24, 9 August 2006 (CEST)
- To get back to Prodatron's remarks, if his points are valid the article should be corrected. If system .9, as it is called in the article, indeed refers to FutureOS v9 then I also think that it should be re-written, especially since not even v8 has been released (really looking forward to it!).
- In general, I would urge ALL contributors who are also developers, to try and keep their usual enthusiasm (read: ego ;) ) at a low, since we are trying to do an objective work and not promote one or the other product... Thanks! Gryzor 09:47, 9 August 2006 (CEST)
I have cleaned up the whole artice, removed advertisment-like phrases, re-wrote sentences that sounded too much like advertising and thigthened the language. Articles should contain no false or biased statements in any form. Keep it clear, true, neutral and objective. This is what I tried to accomplish when editing this article. - 2006-08-09; Gwildor -
- Thanks for your effort Gwildor! The article looks a bit more polished now. --Octoate 14:07, 9 August 2006 (CEST)
I think the maximum file size currently is 512KB (19bit). I couldn't find any possibilities to load data from files, which are bigger than 512KB. Why is 16MB/24bit mentioned in the article? Also a planned feature for the future? -- Prodatron 17:02, 9 August 2006 (CEST)
The maximum file-size depends on the free space on disc-hard-disc or it is limited by a 24 Bit file-length code. Just look at the manual. You can use routines like TEILA or TEISI to load or save files greater then 576 KB. TFM
Looks good now
Thanx to everybodys' effort the article looks a lot better now. I wouldn't call "CPC Booster support" like this, but who cares. What's about summarising some very small sections and maybe removing some user-manual-like sentences? -- Prodatron 17:44, 10 August 2006 (CEST)
- Sumarised all sections which contained only 1 or 2 sentences and removed the FioLib text in its own article. -- Prodatron 19:16, 10 August 2006 (CEST)
Thank you for your excellent help. TFM
This part of the discussion has been deleted; please do not roll back.
The reason I deleted it is because it turned into a flame, and also because some people do not understand how to format their edits by using semi-colons to keep the thread flow easy to understand. As a result it was a flame that was very hard to follow. I will just keep the following:
The article will remain locked for the time being. It's really unfortunate that events are taking such a turn, at a time when the wiki is expanding at a good rate, which means that someone will have to keep an eye on all that is being written. Let's see if the discussion cools down a bit, then decide.
That said, the initial article and subsequent edits were nothing less than shameless plugs for FutureOS. If you want to publish a plug, put it on your Profile page -- provided you create one and that you do not post anonymously! Why is it so darn hard to understand this??? Gryzor 19:42, 29 August 2006 (CEST)
How to plug for something, which costs no money?
- I can also get different religions for free, nevertheless I want that someone tells me in a fundamentalistic way why his religion is best. The fact that something is free doesn´t mean that the wiki rules don´t have to be respected.
- Right! So respect your own rules. Maybe the article wasn't ideal for wiki at first. But better an article that could be corrected than nothing to read. And the comparison about religion is very low under my level.
Will it be possible, to stop flaming around that future os thing? I hate it to see people fighting for nothing :D So maybe it will be the best to protect the whole article and the talk-area to stop annoying and useless posts from both parties Kangaroo MusiQue of HJT 14:06, 5 September 2006 (CEST)
- Well, but who started the flaming? ;-)) ,  I think at least the talk page shouldn't be protected, otherwise I am afraid, that it will continue on the general discussion page. -- Prodatron 15:02, 5 September 2006 (CEST)
- :-) It was just my first reaction on the original-article as i read it. And that where logical questions, after reading an advertisement-text on the wiki for a "ultimate OS" with the best-features around, wich doesnt exist anyway in this form :) Kangaroo MusiQue of HJT 20:31, 5 September 2006 (CEST)
- Yes the flaming is stupid. That's why the article was locked, but I think that talk pages should really rarely be locked... indeed, if one wants, it's very difficult, if not impossible, to keep them from flaming one way or the other. Gryzor 17:25, 5 September 2006 (CEST)
- You (Kangaroo) and Rode start the flaming. So you BOTH have to stop it. Nobody else is flaming around. TFM
- So that is NOT true.. i just mentioned, that future os must be a very great thing and much better than other OSses around, cause your text telled me, that FOS supports any device plugged in without needing a driver and so on. As Rode has written, that he has tried to work with FOS and found things out that arent true within your advertisement text, and after his new FOSuggestion-article looks much better than the original from TFM, i personally think, that i shall call you Monster-Marketing-Machinae (MMM) to keep the traditions :-) Kangaroo MusiQue of HJT 08:02, 8 September 2006 (CEST)
Unlocking the FutureOS article
Since many changes have been introcuced in this article, which aren't true, this article should be unlocked again - at least for me, the originatior of FutureOS. TFM
- The Problem about that is, that YOU arent telling the truth about the features of your OS and make the article an advertisement. So IMHO its better to let others write about the FOS, so its more near reality :-) Nothing personal against you, but it looks like, that you are a bit to enthusiastic with your own shit :) Kangaroo MusiQue of HJT 19:25, 5 September 2006 (CEST)
Ahh.. and GO get a WIKI-Account instead of posting the shit anonymous its NOT SO HARD, it DOESNT HURT and it will HELP others to see your GOOD WILL (or your willy) Kangaroo MusiQue of HJT 19:25, 5 September 2006 (CEST)
- Finally he found out, how to create an account. But it seems, that he still has to learn a lot of more things, like the behaviour in talk pages etc. It's interesting, that this is the only problematic article in the whole wiki, but as I could see it was always the same with this person in the CPC history. As we know, that he will rollback the article into its original advertisement form, it shouldn't be unlocked for sure. I wrote a more objective version of the article some days ago, and I will suggest it shortly. Rode
Dear Rode don't talk about behaviour, because yours is pretty bad. As bad as your suggestion about the FutureOS article. It is known that you don't like FutureOS, this is the reaseon why this article is problematic. Now we have the same problems here like in german Wikipedia before - thanks to you! I would greatly apprecialte if you could leave us here. Only without you it is possible to make this article better, this would help us all. If you have personal problems with FutureOS (or me) then this here is NOT the place for your personal war. TFM